IGNORED

Lantronix Device Server and the Atari 8-bit Computer

fibrewire

Before purchasing several Lantronix device servers, I would like to know what you guys currently use your MSS100 or UDS1100 for?

Can two atari's exchange ASCII data over ethernet between two Lantronix device servers?

Are there any utilities that exist to push data between atari 8-bit computers?

Is there any way to simulate a multi-atari multi-lantronix environment with Altirra?

APE on the PC does the EXACT SAME THING...

All you can do is what you could do over modems and phone-lines, back in the day..

TELNET is a protocol that was specifically invented to emulate legacy connections over TELEPHONE LINES..

A multinode Telnet BBS or a telnet based gateway that lets you run other things like FTP clients, IRC clients, text based web browsers, etc.. are the applications that can be used by multiple ataris "over lantronix".. and all of these need to be run on machines capable of taking multiple incomming telnet connections.. (ATARI is too weak to do that well, which is why ATARI multinode telnet BBSes need 1 ATARI per "node" and require a system like the Multiplexer to hook them all together as one BBS)..

Google "Shell account" and youll find thousands of xNIX systems out there that you can subscribe to and get a "shell account".. THis is a telnet login on their xNIX box.. Many fo them are running IRC, FTP, LINKS (text based web browser) etc. services that you can use..

Can two atari's exchange ASCII data over ethernet between two Lantronix device servers?

Yep. Just set one lantronix to take incomming connections, and then telnet to it with the other..

Are there any utilities that exist to push data between atari 8-bit computers?

Yeah. Its called a terminal program that supports file transfers.. (eg. ASCII send, XMODEM, YMODEM, ZMODEM, etc.)

Is there any way to simulate a multi-atari multi-lantronix environment with Altirra?

If you can run multiple instances of Altirra, and use the R: internet feature in each one independantly.. I dont know if you can do this or not.. But a much better thing would be if Altirra emulated the Multiplexer and let you run multiple instances..

Folks use Lantronix to allow people to connect to their BBS's from the internet.

You don't need Lantronix to send files between 2 Ataris. You just need a nullmodem cable, a couple of 850's, and the software you noted above.

You wouldn't neccessarily need the 850's, there were simpler RS232 devices very similar to the SIO2PC serial interface.

The attached image is of such a device, I don't remember where/when I acquired it.

BillC

post-26063-0-33284500-1329445941_thumb.jpg

Folks use Lantronix to allow people to connect to their BBS's from the internet.

You don't need Lantronix to send files between 2 Ataris. You just need a nullmodem cable, a couple of 850's, and the software you noted above.

You wouldn't neccessarily need the 850's, there were simpler RS232 devices very similar to the SIO2PC serial interface.

The attached image is of such a device, I don't remember where/when I acquired it.

BillC

That IS an SIO2PC.. Its just an incredibly inefficient way to build it.. Probably a real early version that was made for connection to the ST and/or PC..

BillC

That IS an SIO2PC.. Its just an incredibly inefficient way to build it.. Probably a real early version that was made for connection to the ST and/or PC..

I recently found this in a box full of assorted cables/power supplies/etc. that I had packed up in the mid/late 90's, at that time I only had a 100MHz Pentium compatible with Windows 95 and had never used any SIO2PC device/peripheral emulator software. I don't know that this isn't an early SIO2PC device, just that I acquired it long before I knew there was any such thing, the device also uses the same molded plastic case as the Supra MicroPrint interface I recently acquired. The reason for the circuit board size is to add an SIO jack so that it is a pass-though device, and to use the case that was already mentioned.

There were stand-alone RS232 interfaces for the Atari 8-bits around before PC's were used as device emulators, 2 such devices were the R-Verter(1984) and Datari(1985) modem interfaces, perhaps the 1489 based SIO2PC was a modification of an existing RS232 interface design. Accordiing to the IC date codes in the image they were manufactured 8732(1489) and 8448(74LS128).

Bill