IGNORED

Checkbook Cartridge #CXL8001

Atari8bitCarts

Wondering if this might have anything to do with the PRONTO/Chemical Bank trial where they connected 200 Atari 8-bit systems to the bank via modem for online banking. It's described at http://www.atarimaga...1n6/pronto.html, but I've never seen a picture of the cart. There's a screen shot at http://www.atarimani...onto_13693.html, and a related program shown at http://www.atarimani...get_13710.html.

No, that is an actual cartridge (see pitfalljones.com). And was a banking network. I have a cart related to it called CitiBank Home Banking.

Just tried this, and since it actually tries to boot the disk, I think this might be a custom boot disk with part of the software on it.

I think it just needs a DOS (2.x) disk as it probably needs some kind of DOS to make it work with disks. Much like the Painter cartridge does.

Just tried this, and since it actually tries to boot the disk, I think this might be a custom boot disk with part of the software on it.

I think it just needs a DOS (2.x) disk as it probably needs some kind of DOS to make it work with disks. Much like the Painter cartridge does.

Hi, yes, you are right. It looks like it then is trying to access a few files from the disk: KPS and S.

CIO: IOCB=1, CMD=$03 (open), AUX1=$04, filename="KPS

CIO: IOCB=2, CMD=$0C (close)

CIO: IOCB=2, CMD=$03 (open), AUX1=$08, filename="S"

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

In writing that note in the FAQ, here's what I was looking at in an early Atari catalog/flier that I deduced would have been used at the Jan. 1980 CES.

Personal Finance: (CXL4012)

Use the Personal Finance application package to balance your check book and keep a permanent record of all checks you write. When entering checks you have the option of indicating tax and budget categories. It provides summaries and totals of tax categories for income tax records. The Personal Finance program is your key to check book, budget, and tax record information. Atari 800 Personal Computer and Atari 810 Disc Drive required. Available July 1980.

For a "screen shot" they just had a black screen with a big, ultra-low res white dollar sign. So the software may not have been very far along at that point!

Sorry for not believing you in the first place... 'cause I now think you have something of historical importance: one of the first Atari programs ever written!

I checked the FAQ again and look what the timeline says for January 1980: "At the Winter CES in Las Vegas, Atari introduced [...] 3-D Tic-Tac-Toe, Star

Raiders, Personal Finance (possibly eventually shipped as Personal Financial

Management System)".

What you have in your hands could actually be a copy made for the CES! Promotional material possibly exists as well, especially if this program was to be the foundation of the ill-fated CXL8xxx series.

Crazy stuff!

--

Atari Frog

http://www.atarimania.com

It's hard to tell from that description, but it's possible that the program may have included categories based upon the tax code. If that's the case, then that would be something that would have to be updated annually. That may be one of the things it's trying to load from the floppy. You'd have to buy a new floppy every year, though, so I'm not sure if that's a true possibility for the time.

Well, it tries to open the filename "KPS" for a read, and then tries to open filename "S" for writing, so I think you'll need the disk that would have been with this cartridge. I guess you don't have anything that came along with it?

Edit: Hmmm.... Is S the screen, or a filename? It may only looking for a filename of "KPS"-if I'm reading the Altirra .tracecio output correctly. I put a bogus file on the disk with that filename, but it didn't do anything differently.

CIO: IOCB=1, CMD=$0C (close)

CIO: IOCB=1, CMD=$0C (close)

CIO: IOCB=1, CMD=$03 (open), AUX1=$04, filename="KPS"

CIO: IOCB=2, CMD=$03 (open), AUX1=$08, filename="S"

<snip a bunch of screen output CIO calls>

CIO: IOCB=1, CMD=$07 (get characters), buffer=$bc40, length=$0000

CIO: IOCB=1, CMD=$07 (get characters), buffer=$bc40, length=$0000

Edited by Shawn Jefferson

So, currently, I believe it to be from Atari, original, and never released. Possibly a prototype or trade show "mock-up".

I'm still looking for more information, literature, and the disk (if I ever had it).

I think this cartridge is an extremely rare find and I might consider selling it. The person would need to be a serious collector, and it wouldn't be cheap.

The cartridge is incredible condition.

So, currently, I believe it to be from Atari, original, and never released. Possibly a prototype or trade show "mock-up".

I'm still looking for more information, literature, and the disk (if I ever had it).

I think this cartridge is an extremely rare find and I might consider selling it. The person would need to be a serious collector, and it wouldn't be cheap.

why would you sell it, especially after showing us all your cartridges and tribute to pitfalljones!??? I'd say it's a keeper

Come to think of it there are some sick prices on ebay right now for XEGS games (Karateka,Mario Bros.,Summer Games) where seller wants $200-$250+ for these games and there is a seller in Germany wanting $600 USD for Pastfinder so your Checkbook might bring $20,000!!!

Without unlocking the secret of the "DBAF" disk, the cartridge is non-working pretty much-along the same lines as those cartridges that came with the TV listings computers found awhile back.

I'm not sure what those were? But a cartridge made my Atari, never released, in the stage it is. I haven't seen this. If I only knew what happened to the release of this, why did it get cancelled, etc? Who was the developer, etc...

This week I'm going through boxes to see what I can find :)

why would you sell it, especially after showing us all your cartridges and tribute to pitfalljones!??? I'd say it's a keeper

Come to think of it there are some sick prices on ebay right now for XEGS games (Karateka,Mario Bros.,Summer Games) where seller wants $200-$250+ for these games and there is a seller in Germany wanting $600 USD for Pastfinder so your Checkbook might bring $20,000!!!

I really don't do prototypes or unreleased, that was my tribute :) All those cartridges were "sold" as production.

Without unlocking the secret of the "DBAF" disk, the cartridge is non-working pretty much-along the same lines as those cartridges that came with the TV listings computers found awhile back.

I stumbled on this, not sure if it's the same thing but on page 4 and 6 it discusses Atari checkbook functionality. And a diskette needed for data (though it uses two other disks).

http://www.atarimani...n_Fall_1981.pdf

http://mcurrent.name/atariads/grow1p.htm

Edited by chrislynn5

I went through dozens and dozens of disks last night, no luck. I have about 50 more.

I was able, while pressing keys, to get another message. I noticed that the 'back' key invokes the "start a tape cassette" noise. The 'atari logo' key makes a click but doesn't attempt to check the disk again, then there is the 'esc' key that changes the screen (see screen shot). But doesn't appear to do anything after that?

post-27608-0-75269200-1329831344_thumb.jpg

Edited by chrislynn5