IGNORED

Cartridge Slot

MrSiggler

Hey all!

Recently got myself a Jaguar, was rather looking forward to trying it out, having never played one!

Problem is, the cartridge slot has some pins that look bent/smushed down. I've been very carefully trying to get the pins back up into shape, but it's very slow going, and I've not managed to get any one pin back into shape yet..

Has anyone had this happen, and had any luck fixing it? If so.. any tips on how to best get the pins straightened?

If not... are there any replacement parts available anywhere?

Many thanks.

Hey all!

Recently got myself a Jaguar, was rather looking forward to trying it out, having never played one!

Problem is, the cartridge slot has some pins that look bent/smushed down. I've been very carefully trying to get the pins back up into shape, but it's very slow going, and I've not managed to get any one pin back into shape yet..

Has anyone had this happen, and had any luck fixing it? If so.. any tips on how to best get the pins straightened?

If not... are there any replacement parts available anywhere?

Many thanks.

Best Electronics sells replacement but they say it is only for the most experienced otherwise you'll ruin the whole Jaguar.

From thier web site:

"

What to do with your Jaguar console with a damaged cartridge connector?

We (Best Electronics) have found that in about 90 to 95 percent of the cases we have seen (this assumes the Atari Jaguar did not have any other problems before the Jag connector was damaged and the damaged connector(s) pins did not short out and cause other Jaguar motherboard circuit problems), replacing the damaged Jaguar connector will bring a Red Screen Jaguar back to fully working Jaguar console again.

To replace the Atari Jaguar 104 pin Game is not for the average Atari user with standard soldering experience. The Jaguar Surface Mount Technology (SMT) motherboards use very small diameter Jaguar game cartridge connector thru holes. Using standard Solder sucking tools or solder wick will usually not fully remove all of the solder in the Jaguar cartridge connector pins / small pass thru holes. Using standard solder irons (with uncontrolled temperature settings) will also over heat these tiny solder pads and thin traces around the 104 pin Jaguar cartridge connector pins and will usually cause the small cartridge connector hole pads to pull off the PCB. Just one (out of the 104 pins on the solder side of the Jaguar motherboard) lifted Jaguar cartridge connector hole pads, pulled copper plated thru hole trace (hidden solder left in the connector pin hole when removing the old damaged Jaguar Cartridge connector) or cracked circuit trace on the bottom or pulled top trace (un-removed hidden solder in the top of the hole directly under the Jaguar connector body) can mean instant death to a repairable Jaguar motherboard.

On a scale of 1 to 10, the tech skill level required to do this Jaguar Cartridge connector replacement is a 9 to 10 range. A good very experienced SMT Tech using U$D 500 – U$D 1000+ soldering removing equipment would find this Jaguar cartridge connector removal and replacement Job an easy one. Not to discourage you from repairing your Jaguar Motherboard yourself, but we have seen so called experienced Atari Techs butcher / damage a repairable Jaguar Motherboard to where it ended up as a scrap in the trash can.

If you know somebody with the proper SMT experience, Best Electronics has the new Atari Jaguar OEM 104 pin Cartridge connectors in stock. Cost is U$D 15 each."

Link: http://best-electronics-ca.com/jaguar.htm

• Like 2

i have done this, it is doable but is a pain in the ass. especially getting solder out of small holes to make room for the now connector pins to sit

instead of tackling the de soldering of the whole connector consider breaking off the edges of the connector and de soldering each pin individually, that's all i will say

• Like 1

Getting the pins back into shape is possible (I've done it in the past), but it is really nerve-wrecking. Find a thin but sturdy metal wire (e.g. some single-strand electrical wire), bend it into a hook shape, then use it to pull the pins. Be sure to be relaxed and to have plenty of time ahead, as you're probably going to have to try many times before succeeding.

• Like 2