IGNORED

Searching for the Bit Writer Supplement for Super Archiver

malers

I am searching for the Bit Writer supplement for the Super Archiver. If someone want to sell it please contact me.

Does not matter if it is a complete 1050 or just the circuit board.

Does anybody know if Archon II is copyable with the Bit Writer?

The 1993 CSS catalog says the Bit Writer supplement to the Super Archiver writes EA and Synapse SYN disks.

• 3 weeks later...

I don't have personal experience with the Bit Writer, but it was specifically targetted for the type of protection that Archon II has. So I assume it should be able to copy it.

Has anyone reverse engineered this board? It should be possible to produce a combined Super Archiver & Bit Writer.

AFAIK the Bit Writer has a small PLD chip (a PAL?), so it's not so simple to clone. Not totally impossible though, those older smaller PLDs are clonable nowadays.

Also, is there any way to duplicate the Archiver/Editor software disk?

Which Archiver version are you talking about? The older one (for the Spartan custom 810 ROM) wasn't copy protected. The CSS disks, both Scan It (for Happy 1050) and the Super Archiver disk, have rather advanced (and unique in some ways) protection, but they are, of course, all copyable. I believe I wrote a small article about the latter.

Is the article posted somewhere? Just curious about what you had to say about them.

I installed a Bit Writer in a 1050 Super Archiver and found it to be of little value. However it is unique and definitely hard to find these days.

-Larry

Which Archiver version are you talking about? The older one (for the Spartan custom 810 ROM) wasn't copy protected. The CSS disks, both Scan It (for Happy 1050) and the Super Archiver disk, have rather advanced (and unique in some ways) protection, but they are, of course, all copyable. I believe I wrote a small article about the latter.

I am searching for the Bit Writer supplement for the Super Archiver. If someone want to sell it please contact me.

Does not matter if it is a complete 1050 or just the circuit board.

The 1993 CSS catalog says the Bit Writer supplement to the Super Archiver writes EA and Synapse SYN disks.

I have the Bit Writer (now in storage in a closet) and I have copied Archon II, one of my favorite games. So yes it does work

Hi,

Here is some software I have on the Super Archiver.

Hope it's usefull.

The Super Archiver 3.2 master.zip

Doug

I wish the super archiver 2 was available, that one allows copying of enhanced density disks, I have my originals as I have a Bit writer and a separate super archiver drive. I worry what will happen if the disks die.....

Is the article posted somewhere? Just curious about what you had to say about them.

http://vapi.fxatari.com/docs/sa.html

Do someone know, if the bit writer software is also copy protected?

I think it isn't. The reason that the Super Archiver disk is copy protected is because the software was also sold as a separate product without the hardware (say, you could use it if you have a Happy drive). The Bit Writer software (probably) works only with the Bit Writer hardware, so it wouldn't have much sense to copy protect it.

Anyway, if somebody has the original Bit Writer disk and could post an ATR image?

I wish the super archiver 2 was available, that one allows copying of enhanced density disks...

SA II is just updated software. IIRC, version 3 of the SA software is the SA II, so possibly it is included in the disk posted above (didn't try it). Anyway, I think the SA/SA2 disk was cracked long ago. Search this forum.

Edited by ijor
  • Like 1

I think it isn't. The reason that the Super Archiver disk is copy protected is because the software was also sold as a separate product without the hardware (say, you could use it if you have a Happy drive). The Bit Writer software (probably) works only with the Bit Writer hardware, so it wouldn't have much sense to copy protect it.

Anyway, if somebody has the original Bit Writer disk and could post an ATR image?

I wish the super archiver 2 was available, that one allows copying of enhanced density disks...

SA II is just updated software. IIRC, version 3 of the SA software is the SA II, so possibly it is included in the disk posted above (didn't try it). Anyway, I think the SA/SA2 disk was cracked long ago. Search this forum.

Is there any possibility transfering an ATX/vapi image back to a disk? Probably with an SA 1050?

/Michael

the disk above has "Enhanced Density Super Archiver 3.03"

I think that is it,

Now, if someone made a run of the bit writer hardware, life would be good, don't know how much demand there would be for it...

Edited by IndusGT

Thanks, that is the same location mentioned in the docs for both the Super Archiver and the Bit Writer. I thought that possibly an alternate location might be mentioned.

@ Mathy- thanks, but no scroll wheel here (a really old rodent!)

-Larry

Hello Larry

Most browsers nowadays have an option for increasing the size of what's on screen. But unless you are a Macuser too, I can't help you search for them.

Mathy (Magic Mouse user: Tapping it twice will approximately double what's on screen. Even if you do so unintentionally)

Larry,

In the absence of a scroll wheel, try CTRL-+ (that is press and hold CTRL and then press +). This will cause an increase in the web page size. Using a "-" will shrink the page and using a "0" will cause the page to be displayed at whatever passes for normal size.

Hope this helps.

Russ