IGNORED

EA shutting down more servers

This is the reason why I hate EA and how they manage their own servers. They can prematurely shut down any game server they want. The game servers run by Microsoft can run indefinitely. There are plenty of ancient Xbox 360 games still running because Microsoft runs the servers. But because EA has such major clout, Microsoft backed down when EA demanded they run their own servers or else Microsoft would not be getting EA games.

Microsoft had no clout to stop EA because way back when, the 360 was just about to launch and you can't have a game system that has no EA games. Sony was the dominant force but they didnt' care about online back then so it's not like they stood in the way of EA and it's not like MS had the strength to toe the line.

There have been many other games that were shut down on other platforms that kept running on the 360 because Microsoft managed them. Grid was shut down long ago on the PC and PS3 because that's what Codemasters wanted but it kept on ticking at Microsoft.

http://www.ea.com/1/service-updates

The decisions to retire older EA games are never easy.

Thank you,

Electronic Arts

April 13, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown

BOOM BLOX Bash Party for Wii

Burnout™ Revenge for Xbox 360

EA Create for PC, PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360

EA Sports Active 2.0 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360

EA Sports Active NFL Training Camp for Wii

FIFA 10 for PlayStation Portable and Wii

The Godfather™ II for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

MMA for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

The Saboteur™ (loss of The Midnight Club access) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Spare Parts for PlayStation 3 Xbox 360

March 31, 2012 -- Online Services Shutdown

BATTLEFIELD™ 3: Aftershock for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch

Fantasi Safari for iPad, iPhone, and iPod touch

Ghost Harvest for iPhone

Previously Shut Down Online Service

Arena Football™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

Arena Football™: Road to Glory for PlayStation 2

Armies of Exigo™ for PC

Army of Two™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Army of Two™ Demo for Xbox 360

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat™ for Xbox and Xbox 360

Battlefield 2: Modern Combat™ Demo for Xbox 360

Battlefield 2142™ Demo for PC

Burnout™ Revenge for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

Burnout™ Dominator for PlayStation Portable

Burnout™ 3: Takedown ™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

Def Jam® for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

EA SPORTS™ Fantasy Football 09 for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

EA SPORTS™ FIFA Manager 10 for PC

EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 2 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

EA SPORTS™ Fight Night Round 3 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Xbox

EA SPORTS™ MMA (Live Broadcast Feature only) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Facebreaker™ for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3

FIFA Soccer 2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

FIFA 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360

FIFA 07 for PC, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360

FIFA 08 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii and PC

FIFA 09 for PC, PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii

FIFA 09 Ultimate Team for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

FIFA 10 for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

FIFA 10 Ultimate Team for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

FIFA Street 3 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

The Godfather™ The Game for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

GoldenEye: Rogue Agent™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

LITTLEST PET SHOP Online for PC

The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ for PC

The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II for PC and Xbox 360

The Lord of the Rings™, The Battle for Middle-earth™ II, The Rise of the Witch-king™ for PC and Xbox 360

The Lord of the Rings: Conquest™ for PC, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

MVP Baseball™ 2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

MVP™ 07 NCAA® Baseball for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

Madden NFL 05 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

Madden NFL 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360

Madden NFL 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360

Madden NFL 08 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Wii, Xbox and Xbox 360

Madden NFL 09 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, Wii and Xbox

Madden NFL 10 for PlayStation Portable (all regions), PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii

Marvel Nemesis™: Rise of the Imperfects™ for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

Medal of Honor Airborne™ for PlayStation Portable

Medal of Honor Heroes™ 2 for PlayStation Portable and Wii

Medal of Honor Pacific Assault™ for PC

Medal of Honor™ Rising Sun for PlayStation 2

Mercenaries 2: World in Flames™ for PC

MySims™ for PC

NASCAR® 05: Chase for the Cup™ for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NASCAR® 06: Total Team Control for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NASCAR® 07 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, Xbox and Xbox 360

NASCAR® 08 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NASCAR® 09 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NBA LIVE 05 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NBA LIVE 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360

NBA LIVE 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360

NBA LIVE 08 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Wii

NBA LIVE 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii

NBA Street (2007) for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NBA Street V3 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NCAA® Basketball 08 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NCAA® Basketball 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NCAA® Basketball 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NCAA® Football 05 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NCAA® Football 06 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NCAA® Football 07 for Xbox 360, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable and Xbox

NCAA® Football 08 forPlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NCAA® Football 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and PlayStation 2

NCAA® Football 10 for PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NCAA® March Madness 06 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NCAA® March Madness™ 2005 for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NCAA® March Madness® 07 for PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360

Need for Speed™ Carbon for PlayStation Portable

Need for Speed™ Most Wanted for PC, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360

Need for Speed™ ProStreet for PC and PlayStation Portable

Need for Speed™ Undercover for PlayStation Portable

Need for Speed™ Underground for PlayStation 2

Need for Speed™ Underground 2 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NFL Head Coach 09 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NFL STREET 2: Unleashed for PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NFL STREET 3 for PlayStation 2

NFL Tour for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NHL® 2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NHL® 06 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

NHL® 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360

NHL® 08 for PlayStation 3, Xbox 360, PlayStation 2 and PC

NHL® 09 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

NHL® 10 for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Pet Society™ Vacation for iPhone

The Simpsons™ Game for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

SimSocial on Facebook

The Sims Carnival

SKATE™ for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 05 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 06 for PC, PlayStation 2, Xbox and Xbox 360

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 07 for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 08 for PC, PlayStation 2 PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable and Xbox 360

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 09 for PlayStation 3, Wii and Xbox 360

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 10 for PlayStation Portable, PlayStation 3, Xbox 360 and Wii

Tiger Woods PGA TOUR® 11 Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

TimeSplitters 3: Future Perfect™ for Xbox and PlayStation 2

Total Club Manager 06 for PlayStation 2

UEFA Champions League™ 2004-2005 for PC, PlayStation 2 and Xbox

UEFA Champions League™ 2006-2007 for PlayStation 2 and PlayStation Portable

UEFA Champions League™ 07 for PC and Xbox 360

UEFA EURO 2008™ for PC PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

2006 FIFA World Cup™ for PC, PlayStation 2, PlayStation Portable, Xbox and Xbox 360

2010 FIFA World Cup™ South Africa for PC, PlayStation 3, PlayStation Portable, Xbox 360 and Wii

2010 FIFA World Cup™ South Africa Demo for PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360

Edited by onlysublime

I wish people could set up their own servers, like when we had the Half-Life and Unreal Tournament games on PC. Then I don't think it would hurt as much, and could go on as long as there was interest. Instead we are stuck with the vendor's schedule and when they decide it's time to take down their servers. However, it isn't logical to expect that they run servers for severely outdated games forever. Otherwise, their farms would just get too huge to manage effectively. Then you'd just have loads more downtime than we already have. Honestly, if they scheduled the termination of services for games on a particular platform for 2 years past EOL (end of life) for that platform, I think I'd be ok with that. That would give 99% of gamers time to play their games until they were completely bored, had gotten their money's worth out of them and were ready to move on.

This is the reason why I hate EA and how they manage their own servers. They can prematurely shut down any game server they want. The game servers run by Microsoft can run indefinitely. There are plenty of ancient Xbox 360 games still running because Microsoft runs the servers.

Those ancient 360 games are still online because there are no servers to shut down. All they use are the standard matchmaking functions of Xbox Live. The average 360 game relies on player's hosting their own matches, with EA games being one of the large exceptions on the platform. Microsoft isn't hosting your matches when you log into something like Halo 3's multiplayer.

Microsoft has shut servers down before. Seems like they did that to one of the Steel Battalion games on the Xbox years before Xbox Live support ended.

If you want great online games to keep running, the best answer is Dreamcast. There are still many "alternative" servers available, and it's relatively easy to setup your own. All hail the Dreamcast, still rockin' after being discontinued for almost a decade ;)

• Like 1

No, on the 360, Microsoft has not ended server support for 360 games. Only for original Xbox games.

That's not what I said at all.

I'm explaining why it generally doesn't happen to most Xbox 360 software. The average game relies on the player's hosting their own matches so there's nothing to shut down for that specific game. EA's games are some of the few exceptions here that rely on dedicated servers ran by the publisher to host matches. That's why EA Xbox 360 games go offline after a length of time so they can utilize that server capacity for newer releases.

Microsoft has also shut down some of their games in the past that also relied on company ran hosting. Steel Battalion: Line of Contact on the Xbox (Not a 360 game I know, but it's still an example and Xbox Live isn't much different today) was one such non EA exception that relied on company ran servers. Microsoft pulled the plug what seemed like years before Xbox Live support for the console itself was discontinued.

This reason is why people kept playing Halo 2 for weeks after Xbox Live support ended for the original console. The game only relied on Xbox Live for matchmaking and on Bungie for things like stat tracking. So as long as player's stayed in the server they were in prior to shut down, they were able to keep playing indefinitely despite Microsoft having turned off things at their end (Although I believe Bungie kept up stat tracking until the last person went offline). The average 360 game works the same way with company ran services just handling matchmaking, hosting of downloadable content, messaging, etc. Actually handling communication between players in the same online match still relies on one of the player's themselves.

Not defending them, just explaining why it happens to EA games while seemingly most every other 360 game ever released with online multiplayer is still online.

Edited by Atariboy

actually, the way Halo 2 was handled was not exactly what Microsoft said. they said that as long as people were still playing, the servers would still be up. but that's not true. gamers who wanted the servers to stay up stayed connected and kept it active but Microsoft shut it down anyway.

but again, I haven't seen it with 360 games run by Microsoft. Ubisoft games, Codemasters, Majesco, etc. all still running on 360 while shut down on other systems.

As far as I know, people stayed online in Halo 2 for weeks until there was just a single player left (With the rest slowly succombing to having to reset their modems, power outages, system failures, etc.). Did Microsoft kick him out in the end? If so, perhaps online multiplayer is more reliant on Xbox Live than just for matchmaking and such and they had to get rid of him to finish pulling the plug, but it doesn't change what I said.

The average Xbox 360 game relies on player hosted servers. The reason so many Playstation 3 games go offline after a time is because the situation is the exact opposite over there. The average Playstation 3 game relies on company ran dedicated servers and publishers even have to handle things like matchmaking themselves. So obviously they want to repurpose those assets after a time to support newer releases where the bulk of their players are active.

But on the Xbox 360 for a non EA game (The situation I've described on the Xbox and Xbox 360 is why it was several years after the launch of Xbox Live before EA Xbox games supported online multiplayer until Microsoft relented), it typically relies on player's hosting their own matches. Xbox Live is just used for matching up players, hosting downloadable content, communications, etc. There's nothing for a publisher like Ubisoft, Codemasters, and Majesco to turn off on their end on the 360. When you're playing something like Dirt 3 online, you're either hosting the game or someone else in your race is.

But on the PS3, you're racing in Dirt 3 on a server provided by Codemasters. That's why Grid still has online multiplayer on the 360 but has been offline for a year or two on the PS3, for instance.

Edited by Atariboy

Burnout Revenge for Xbox 360. This one pisses me off. breakpack and I played this a few months ago and there were others playing that night as well. Some of these games (Burnout for instance) include online achievments. How the heck are you supposed to get the achievement when you can't go online! LOL.

I hope someone figures out how to start up their own servers for some of these games.

As far as I know, people stayed online in Halo 2 for weeks until there was just a single player left (With the rest slowly succombing to having to reset their modems, power outages, system failures, etc.). Did Microsoft kick him out in the end? If so, perhaps online multiplayer is more reliant on Xbox Live than just for matchmaking and such and they had to get rid of him to finish pulling the plug, but it doesn't change what I said.

The average Xbox 360 game relies on player hosted servers. The reason so many Playstation 3 games go offline after a time is because the situation is the exact opposite over there. The average Playstation 3 game relies on company ran dedicated servers and publishers even have to handle things like matchmaking themselves. So obviously they want to repurpose those assets after a time to support newer releases where the bulk of their players are active.

But on the Xbox 360 for a non EA game (The situation I've described on the Xbox and Xbox 360 is why it was several years after the launch of Xbox Live before EA Xbox games supported online multiplayer until Microsoft relented), it typically relies on player's hosting their own matches. Xbox Live is just used for matching up players, hosting downloadable content, communications, etc. There's nothing for a publisher like Ubisoft, Codemasters, and Majesco to turn off on their end on the 360. When you're playing something like Dirt 3 online, you're either hosting the game or someone else in your race is.

You're making the assumption that the vast majority of 360 games are peer to peer when they're not. Quite a few are but not the vast majority. and yes, for Halo 2, it wasn't one person. multiple gamers have claimed that they kept the servers alive, only to be booted by Microsoft.

Things like this are why I boycott EA now. I was still able to find matches instantly on FIFA 08 on PS3 a few days before they shut the servers down on it. I have no problem if EA wants to take down servers for their games but when they do so, they should provide a means for interested players to host their own servers. It is quite obvious especially with the sports titles that they want to force you out of the game to buy their newest edition, which since EA is EA is generally pretty close to the same thing. EA continues to move to a games as services instead of games as products business which I hate and will not support.

• Like 1

You're making the assumption that the vast majority of 360 games are peer to peer when they're not. Quite a few are but not the vast majority. and yes, for Halo 2, it wasn't one person. multiple gamers have claimed that they kept the servers alive, only to be booted by Microsoft.

It's not an assumption, it's a fact. The vast majority of 360 games don't rely on dedicated servers and that's why the vast majority of 360 games still have online multiplayer capabilities. Beyond Electronic Arts releases, very few do (I can't think of a single example off hand, and just a single example on the original Xbox). But anyways it's pointless to argue it.

And I just found multiple articles at mainstream gaming sites that reported on the end of Halo 2. The number of players eventually dwindled to a single person after about three weeks, who reported being booted from the server. It doesn't look like they pulled the plug while online multiplayer action was still taking place and waited until there was just a single individual still logged in.

• Like 1

Atariboy, you're still changing the argument. The argument is that EA controls the entire process of you being able to play your game online. That's what they took away from Microsoft. All that matters is that a person can make a connection to another person to play. Whether it's 30% of 360 games are P2P or 100% of games are P2P doesn't matter. Skype is P2P whereas AIM is now a hybrid. Does that matter to the user? The user just wants to connect to people. In the case of EA, EA wanted control of the entire pipeline between the game and you. Why does EA run servers? It's certainly not some magnanimous decision.

As for the Halo 2, go to the messageboards, not what the media reports. The messageboards show multiple users complaining that they kept the servers running only to be removed. Whether this is true or not, who knows because it's messageboards but in terms of closing down access prematurely, Microsoft is certainly not going to report that they booted people.

Atariboy, you're still changing the argument. The argument is that EA controls the entire process of you being able to play your game online. That's what they took away from Microsoft. All that matters is that a person can make a connection to another person to play. Whether it's 30% of 360 games are P2P or 100% of games are P2P doesn't matter. Skype is P2P whereas AIM is now a hybrid. Does that matter to the user? The user just wants to connect to people. In the case of EA, EA wanted control of the entire pipeline between the game and you. Why does EA run servers? It's certainly not some magnanimous decision.

I don't believe I'm changing the argument.

I actually agree with you 100% that this situation sucks. And I also don't believe that Microsoft should've ever relented and allowed EA to utilize their own servers since it has proven to be nothing but trouble for people that want to play EA published games online. Not defending EA over either.

But since that is the situation and EA published games do utilize company ran servers, I think it's valid to point out the situation (EA games utilizing dedicated server space versus most 360 games relying on P2P) since it makes this decision on the part of EA seem more reasonable. It's not like they're shutting down old games that aren't taking up any of their resources here (If a publisher like Ubisoft was able to disable online multiplayer on their 360 games, I'd be the first one to complain since their games are P2P and Ubisoft isn't hosting a thing).

Hope you don't mind that I mentioned our debate over in your thread about this at AVS. Thought maybe we'd have a few people chime in and confirm what I said about the vast majority of non EA 360 games relying on P2P with nothing for the publisher to turn off on their end.

Edited by Atariboy

Burnout Revenge for Xbox 360. This one pisses me off. breakpack and I played this a few months ago and there were others playing that night as well. Some of these games (Burnout for instance) include online achievments. How the heck are you supposed to get the achievement when you can't go online! LOL.

I hope someone figures out how to start up their own servers for some of these games.

Likewise for me. My son and his friends still play quite a bit of Burnout Revenge. It is actually one of my favorite XBOX360 games too date.

This sucks big time!

-GrizzLee