IGNORED

side update - preliminary version

candle

Hi!

this is flash update ultility for side loader on side cartridge - you can put it in any directory of fat32 media you want and run it as any other file, or use any sio2pc solution to load it from pc

its not pretty, but has prooven to work both under altirra and real hardware

currently its very rough, and doesn't display anything - just does it thing and restart the loader

it should work fine for amic a29040b and any am29f040 device, if you have sst39sf040 flash chip on your side - please wait for more mature version, or you're likely to brick your cart (not that it would be not recoverable)

so here goes nothing - you have been warned! ;)

side-update.xex

if it didn't automatically returned to the list, but displayed rainbow, then it failed to update

if you could report your chip type it would be of great importance

My chip is AM29F040B. so I guess it didn't update.

Looking though a jeweler's loop the above # is now corrected from AMPSF040S.

My rainbow only effected the border's of screen.

Edited by rdea6

Okay, I was successfull at flashing it using SIO2SD on both 130xe+U1mb and 800xl+U1mb, but I had to do do it in these steps:

1) Set switch on Side to "Loader".

2) Turn on A8.

3) After booting, set switch back to SDX enabled.

4) a. Hold Side reset button and

b. press OPT + Reset on keyboard.

5) After DOS boots from SIO2SD, load Side Flasher.

6) If flasher didn't work, go back to step 4b.

7) Flasher worked, shows multiple flickering rainbows, then displays Side Loader menu...

Jay

Going by my steps in post#14, I tried the latest flasher and it now goes straight to the SIDE Loader after showing the moving rainbows on the first try :)

One thing I noticed is that if you try to use it on a 130xe in SDX, SDX says it's not a binary load file, but on a 800xl, SDX says there is a memory conflict...

Jay

I upgraded!

Now folders/files are automatically sorted!

I upgraded from SIDE loader, after various resets and loader/sdx selector movements.

Perhaps upgrade succeded because, after reading AtariGeezer post, I added a 320KB memory expansion to my stock 800XL (but I don't think so).

it doesn't use any additional ram

i've implemented documented information in my code, if there is some kind of black magic going on, then i wouldn't know, since i only have one side cart i've build myself, and its not exacly exact of what zaxon was selling (especially flash chip is diffrent)

anyways, just to iron it a bit more, here is final update (some quirks with up/down/left/right movements were corrected):

side-update.xex

flasher checks for side cart before flashing, and if not found, goes into infinite loop

beside this, basic and side loader are in diffrent banks, so it couldn't happend anyway

if check failed (given false true) for some reason, and it would flash into ultimate flash instead, it would flash into sdx image area