IGNORED

Spinner control hook-up?

pboland

I'm looking for a schematic of the Super Action controller spinner. What the spinner is physically and more specifically, how the spinner is connected to the 9 pin controller plug. I've tried searching, but I'm not having any luck. So far the only thing I've found is there might be magnets used in it, but I'm not sure how correct that is. I'm starting to think it is a guarded secret. :P

Maybe I missed something in the search, so if anyone can point me in the direction of how the spinner works and how its connected, it would be much appreciated.

Well, I couldn't find the paperwork, but looking at the PCB layout of my prototype of the arcade controller enabler, here's what I've got:

Pin 8 of DB-9 to 220R resistor. Other end of 220R resistor to common point of two reed switches.

"R" reed switch to pin 9 of DB-9 and also to 10K resistor. Other end of 10K resistor to pin 5 of DB-9 connector.

"L" reed switch to pin 7 of DB-9 connector.

Those are the connections. Sorry it's not a schematic, but I've added the PCB layout for reference, and so you can double-check the above. I tried it and it works.

I'm trying to remember the physical layout of the reed switches, but hopefully the "L" and "R" makes sense to you. There's an offset between the switches, so depending on the direction, one switch should close before the other. That's the key. You'll probably have to crack open a SAC to visualize this a bit better.

post-3127-0-46389300-1334350802_thumb.png

• Like 1

Well, I couldn't find the paperwork, but looking at the PCB layout of my prototype of the arcade controller enabler, here's what I've got:

Pin 8 of DB-9 to 220R resistor. Other end of 220R resistor to common point of two reed switches.

"R" reed switch to pin 9 of DB-9 and also to 10K resistor. Other end of 10K resistor to pin 5 of DB-9 connector.

"L" reed switch to pin 7 of DB-9 connector.

Those are the connections. Sorry it's not a schematic, but I've added the PCB layout for reference, and so you can double-check the above. I tried it and it works.

I'm trying to remember the physical layout of the reed switches, but hopefully the "L" and "R" makes sense to you. There's an offset between the switches, so depending on the direction, one switch should close before the other. That's the key. You'll probably have to crack open a SAC to visualize this a bit better.

Thanks 5-11under,

The spinner sounds a lot like a binary encoder to me. Very similar to the driving controllers of the 2600 (not to be confused with the paddle controllers). Thank you very much for this info.

Here is the schematic for the atari 2600 driving controller for those interest:

post-9874-0-27584600-1334353456_thumb.jpg

I'm trying to determine how to make the above work with the CV. It look very similar to what you have described 5-11under. Just need to add a few resistors maybe and change the pins around...

Edited by pboland