IGNORED

Nyog'Sothep

lucien2

I played this board game twice when I was a kid.

Here is the plot:

You can choose one of these two roles:

1. The professor Petersen

2. The investigators

The goal for the professor is to place 5 fanatics on the map and evoke Nyog'Sothep (The nameless mist). He must be at a minimum distance of 3 cities from Nyog'Sothep's planned city to do the evocation.

The goal for the investigators is to kill the professor before Nyog'Sothep appears or cast the "return spell" to make Nyog'Sothep return to where he came from. They must be a minimum of three investigators in the same city to cast the spell.

There is no computer player for the moment.

I have to put some data in low RAM or VDP RAM, and carefully read my code to find some optimizations to free some memory.

Almost all the original rules are implemented, except these:

- The investigators have the choice between two tables of events before rolling the dice.

- When the professor comes in a city where there is an investigator, he can not always hide himself.

- When an investigator crosses a state border, he can be stucked.

- The professor can use the piece "flying horror" to teleport himself.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWqlq1_HEg4

NYOG_SOTHEP.zip

• Like 3

Wow, that's really awesome! I especially like the interface you are using, it looks very intuitive and fast.

Memory: does the game use the 32K expansion? IMO games should not shy away from the 32K requirement. The system is already to limited on resources, and for new development these days, 32K and at least one disk drive should be a perfectly acceptable requirement.

Also, if you are making it a cartridge-based game, by all means use bank switching! Emulators can deal with it, and if you plan to make a real cartridge out of it, currently your only pre-made option (you can always make your own boards of course) is to use a bank-switch board like the 64K boards.

This game would also benefit from dual screen, which might happen in the future. :-)

...games should not shy away from the 32K requirement. The system is already to limited on resources...

For sure I used it, the 24K high RAM is full with compiled code (with maybe ~3K of data). The low RAM is used by GCC for global variables (from the bottom) and for the stack and local variables (from the top), I put the map data in the middle.

That's the main advantage of Forth, the compiled code is much more compact.

This game would also benefit from dual screen, which might happen in the future.

I think the display is fast enough, and it does not use much RAM.

The rules of the game are more complicated. There are written in only 4 pages of french (and some of them are not clear, you have to interprete them), but it's always easier to explain something than to program it exactly, with all the exceptions.

http://laurent36.typepad.com/.a/6a013486df16fc970c0133f3bce883970b-pi

http://laurent36.typepad.com/.a/6a013486df16fc970c0133f3bce8b2970b-pi

This game would also benefit from dual screen, which might happen in the future.

I think the display is fast enough, and it does not use much RAM.

I was referring to the two player nature really. In your video demo, when it is the bad buy's turn, a message says that the other players "should not look". With dual screens, each player would have their own view. I was just musing.

Also, the fact that your game is written in C makes it even better. Very very nice!

• 6 years later...

I came across this old thread and was wondering what the status was. It looks like a really cool game.

Standby, like all my hobby programming projects. I don't have a lot of free time with two little boys of 2 and 4 years old. When they sleep, I'm just too tired.

It was maybe 5th on my TODO list, now it just went 3rd or 2nd.

There are at least two people here who did bank switching with GCC, so I have a lot of available memory for an A.I. player.

• Like 2