IGNORED

New Multiplayer Atari 2600 Emulator

Paulo Peccin

Not too much, but I'm sure it can be improved.

The emulator we use is a customized JStella.

Did you already play a game on our site?

Click on Play It! to play Beamrider for example:

http://www.atarimani...ider_11536.html

You can press the six switches on the VCS as well. They really work.

8)

Edited by Rom Hunter

Ok... back to javatari.

I have released version 1.02

batari ROMs and SuperChip ROMs should now work correctly.

I also added NTSC/PAL auto detection (you should still be able to force any mode with ALT-V)

And some bugfixes.

Get it at http://javatari.org as always.

Random Terrain, Seaweed Assault should run OK now. Can you test it please?

Thanks,

Peccin

• Like 1

Random Terrain, Seaweed Assault should run OK now. Can you test it please?

So far everything looks and sounds perfect. Thanks! Can you make a version that can be embedded on an HTML web page and will automatically load a ROM?

The emulator works great on Java for Linux. ^^

I got 3 of my games to work. The only game I made that doesn't work is Ghost, which uses the DPC+ kernel.

Pitfall 2 didn't work either, which also uses the original version of the DPC kernel, but I thought I'd try it anyway just in case. xD

There's a glitch where sometimes if you load a new game without 'turning the system off', the current score information is carried over to the next game. xD

I got 3 of my games to work. The only game I made that doesn't work is Ghost, which uses the DPC+ kernel.

Pitfall 2 didn't work either, which also uses the original version of the DPC kernel, but I thought I'd try it anyway just in case. xD

There's a glitch where sometimes if you load a new game without 'turning the system off', the current score information is carried over to the next game. xD

That's great!

Unfortunately it does not support DPC or DPC+ yet.

About the glitch you mention... Its not really a glitch, its intentional!

Anything can happen with the real hardware if you turn the console ON with no cartridge or if you switch cartridges without turning it OFF/ON. Try and play a little with this, its funny!

I tried to simulate the real hardware as faithful as possible in this kinds of situations.

That makes the emulator less "plug and play", but it makes things more interesting, as you can simulate various situations that could happen easily with real hardware.

For example, try to turn it ON with no cartridge, or try to force an incompatible video standard (ALT-V) and see what will happen.

Hey, can you send me your games for testing?

Regards,

Peccin

Edited by Paulo Peccin

So far everything looks and sounds perfect. Thanks! Can you make a version that can be embedded on an HTML web page and will automatically load a ROM?

Yes, I plan to make an Applet version of the Emulator that will be able to run embedded.

But I have to redesign some parts of the GUI to achieve this, as you cannot be dragging windows if you are embedded in a webpage.

For example, what should be done with the console panel? Should it be integrated below the TV screen, or should it be omitted?

The panel is a nice differential of this emulator, I would not like to lose it.

Suggestions? :-)

Peccin

That's great!

Unfortunately it does not support DPC or DPC+ yet.

About the glitch you mention... Its not really a glitch, its intentional!

Anything can happen with the real hardware if you turn the console ON with no cartridge or if you switch cartridges without turning it OFF/ON. Try and play a little with this, its funny!

I tried to simulate the real hardware as faithful as possible in this kinds of situations.

That makes the emulator less "plug and play", but it makes things more interesting, as you can simulate various situations that could happen easily with real hardware.

For example, try to turn it ON with no cartridge, or try to force an incompatible video standard (ALT-V) and see what will happen.

Hey, can you send me your games for testing?

Regards,

Peccin

You can actually find my games in my signature at the bottom. ^^

The only one that doesn't work is Ghost, but the other 3 work just fine.

Works on my mac mini 10.6. 2gb ram core duo 1.6ghz.

Couple of notes though.

1. Doesn't seem too like bin files or zips. Only .a26 files.

2. Lack of joystick support.

3. Maybe screen size adjust also might be nice.

There actually is a screen adjust. There's two buttons at the bottom right corner of the display panel, which increase the screen size. It doesn't seem to have a full screen function though.

Also, bin files didn't work for you? I tried bin files of the games I wrote, and those played fine.

Yes, I plan to make an Applet version of the Emulator that will be able to run embedded.

But I have to redesign some parts of the GUI to achieve this, as you cannot be dragging windows if you are embedded in a webpage.

For example, what should be done with the console panel? Should it be integrated below the TV screen, or should it be omitted?

The panel is a nice differential of this emulator, I would not like to lose it.

Suggestions? :-)

I've seen some applications that float over an HTML page once it is turned on or activated or whatever you call it. So instead of needing to make space for the emulator on the page, there would be a link or button of some kind. When the visitor clicks on the link or button, the emulator would either pop up in a window or it would look pretty much the way it does right now when we run it on a PC.

Yes I get jumbled screen and lines. But exiting and reopening fixes that. Now space invaders works great. Sometimes I switch to another game can't remember the name and then back to invaders and got the wierd screen. But closing and reopening the program works. And screen size is great. Best thing is it goes back to normal after you close and reopen the program incase you stretched it out too far.

Now all we need is joystick support. Stella was good for this but too buggy and not mapping right.

Edited by 0078265317

Yes I get jumbled screen and lines. But exiting and reopening fixes that. Now space invaders works great. Sometimes I switch to another game can't remember the name and then back to invaders and got the wierd screen. But closing and reopening the program works. And screen size is great. Best thing is it goes back to normal after you close and reopen the program incase you stretched it out too far.

Now all we need is joystick support. Stella was good for this but too buggy and not mapping right.

See, this is exactly what I meant about the duplication of work mentioned earlier in this thread. And I knew that sooner or later someone would come in here and say that Stella is buggy.

Have you reported this 'buggy' behaviour before? It just really irritates me that someone would say that, and never report the problem. I've been working on Stella for many years and receive almost no bug reports. The ones that I do receive, I try to follow up on almost immediately (sometime within a day or two). Now we have a new emulator on the scene, and not one week after it's been available, Stella is reported as being 'buggy'. You know, comments like this make me THIS close to just dropping the whole damn thing.

Have you reported this 'buggy' behaviour before? It just really irritates me that someone would say that, and never report the problem. I've been working on Stella for many years and receive almost no bug reports. The ones that I do receive, I try to follow up on almost immediately (sometime within a day or two). Now we have a new emulator on the scene, and not one week after it's been available, Stella is reported as being 'buggy'. You know, comments like this make me THIS close to just dropping the whole damn thing.

It worked OK with my USB controller before I got a new computer. Now I have to buy a new controller thanks to Windows 7.

I know you work harder than I do and you know more than I do, so it may not be a good comparison, but I'm not going to quit trying to make games every time someone says that Seaweed Assault sucks.

There actually is a screen adjust. There's two buttons at the bottom right corner of the display panel, which increase the screen size. It doesn't seem to have a full screen function though.

Also, bin files didn't work for you? I tried bin files of the games I wrote, and those played fine.

Guys!!! You need to read the HotKeys list at http://javatari.org

There IS a Fullscreen mode, and many other adjustments...

By now the emulator does not have menus. I don't like menus... :-)

It relies totally in its graphical user interface and the console panel controls. But some "more advanced" features are available only through HotKeys.

Please take a look so you can enjoy/test the various functions!

Peccin

Edited by Paulo Peccin

See, this is exactly what I meant about the duplication of work mentioned earlier in this thread. And I knew that sooner or later someone would come in here and say that Stella is buggy.

Camon guys. Please don't go that way.

Stella is years ahead of javatari in terms of emulation accuracy, ROM format support, and many other things.

I just tried to create a different approach, in a different platform, with some new GUI concepts, just for the fun and the for the love we all have for this console.

stephena, please don't feel like that. Stella is still THE reference for 2600 emulation.

Peccin

...Now all we need is joystick support. Stella was good for this but too buggy and not mapping right.

Agreed that people shouldn't call it buggy without submitting bug reports.

Frankly, it boggles my mind that anyone would say Stella is buggy... it's worked flawlessly for me, and I suspect the reason you don't receive a lot of bug reports is due to there not being a whole lot of bugs.

Stella is my favourite emulator, so I hope you don't drop it. The level of accuracy is awesome, the debugger is tops, and the automatic disassembly is sublime.

All of that said, I don't think Paolo's emulator is a duplication of effort with Stella. If anything it seems to overlap with JStella, but given that JStella hasn't been updated in 4 years, maybe that's a good thing.

Guys I have released version 1.03. Get it at http://javatari.org

It now has FA/FA2 ROM format support. StarCastle from cdw started working!!! (still has a minor glitch though)

I also did not know that the "flicker" technique was used so frequently in homebrew ROMs.

I have now seen Seaweed Assault and StarCastle making extensive use of it...

Now its time to improve the TV simulation of the emulator, and add something to mimic the normal retention of frames as seen on old CRTs.

Back to work! :-)

Peccin

• Like 2

Guys just an update...

Yesterday I was testing the emulator with various demos I found. They do crazy undocumented stuff! Several of them were not working as expected. They are really great for finding bugs!

SeaGtGruff: I HAD to implement support for zero-page load errors because of this... That demos out there (Trilobit/Tom Jones) are full of them, and I wanted the emulator to run them. It is even running one of them that was supposed to have problems with emulators (Doctor, with the cubes) perfectly. I am still having issues though... Probably bankswitching...

RandomTerrain: a Java Webstart version that can be loaded from a webpage with a ROM pre-inserted is coming next release if you're still interested.

I have released version 1.06 to correct those problems, and now all of the crazy demos I tested run perfectly.

Regards,

Peccin

Edited by Paulo Peccin