IGNORED

Christmas Carol - Teaser #3

DZ-Jay

Christmas Carol

vs.

The Ghost Of Christmas Presents

Behold, the third installment in the Christmas Carol teaser series. I call this one, "Snowman's Gambit - Part I."

After all the delays, after all the teasing, the wait is almost over! Save up your pennies, boys and girls, for Christmas Carol is coming soon!

NOTE: All animation sequences and images are directly taken from in-game graphics. Music and sound-effects, not so much.

Can you save Christmas?

Edited by DZ-Jay
  • Like 3

How about putting a couple of these up on youtube?

I closed my YouTube account some time ago due to Google's policies. However, I just created a Vimeo account and a channel to promote Christmas Carol. You can find it here.

Thanks for the idea!

-dZ.

How about putting a couple of these up on youtube?

There is one video, but it was just of the early beta release. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfwIrpE9-do

Oh wow! I haven't seen that in over a year. How crude it looks compared to now. Carol doesn't even have hair! LOL!

-dZ.

• Like 1

Great animation! Still can't believe you're just using a text editor for your graphics.

Thanks!

Yup, good ol' TextMate. Viva la ASCII! :)

The "fake snowman" melting sequence is done using two MOBs, each one with the same GRAM tile of half the body, reflected on the X axis:

@@Break
vres=2
pixel=#
:0       :1       :2       :3       :4       :5       :6       :7       :8       :9       :10      :11      :12      :13¡
......## ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
......## ..#..### .......# .......# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....#.# ....##.# ..###### ........ .......# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....### .#...### ...###.# ..####.# ....##.. .......# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....### .....### ..#..### .#.##### .#####.# .......# .......# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....### .....### .....### .#..#### .#.##### .####### .......# .....#.# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....### .....### .#...### .....### .#.##### .##.#### ..###### .......# .....#.. ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....### .....### .....### ..#..### ....#### #.#.#### #.###### ..###### .......# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### .#..#### #...#### ..###### #.###### ...##### .....#.. .......# ........ ........ ........
....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### #..##### ..###### .####### .####### .....##. .......# ........ ........
....#### ....#### ....#### .#..#### ..#.#### .#..#### #...#### ..#.#### #.###### ..###### ...##### ........ ........ ........
....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### #...#### ..#.#### #.###### ..###### ..#..### .......# ........
....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### #...#### ..#.#### ..#.#### #.###### ...##### ........ .......#
....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ..#.#### .#..#### ....#### #...#### ....#### ..###### #..##### .....### .....###
.....### .....### .....### .....### .#...### .....### .....### .....### #....### .##..### .####### .####### .####### .#######
.....### .....### .....### .....### .....### .#...### .#.#.### ##.#.### ##.#.### ####.### ######## ######## ######## ########

For the curious, attached is the text file for the graphics used by the "fake snowman" animation.

-dZ.

fakesnow.txt

Great animation! Still can't believe you're just using a text editor for your graphics.

Thanks!

Yup, good ol' TextMate. Viva la ASCII! :)

The "fake snowman" melting sequence is done using two MOBs, each one with the same GRAM tile of half the body, reflected on the X axis:

@@Break
vres=2
pixel=#
:0	   :1	   :2	   :3	   :4	   :5	   :6	   :7	   :8	   :9	   :10	  :11	  :12	  :13¡
......## ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
......## ..#..### .......# .......# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....#.# ....##.# ..###### ........ .......# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....### .#...### ...###.# ..####.# ....##.. .......# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....### .....### ..#..### .#.##### .#####.# .......# .......# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....### .....### .....### .#..#### .#.##### .####### .......# .....#.# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....### .....### .#...### .....### .#.##### .##.#### ..###### .......# .....#.. ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
.....### .....### .....### ..#..### ....#### #.#.#### #.###### ..###### .......# ........ ........ ........ ........ ........
....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### .#..#### #...#### ..###### #.###### ...##### .....#.. .......# ........ ........ ........
....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### #..##### ..###### .####### .####### .....##. .......# ........ ........
....#### ....#### ....#### .#..#### ..#.#### .#..#### #...#### ..#.#### #.###### ..###### ...##### ........ ........ ........
....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### #...#### ..#.#### #.###### ..###### ..#..### .......# ........
....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### #...#### ..#.#### ..#.#### #.###### ...##### ........ .......#
....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ....#### ..#.#### .#..#### ....#### #...#### ....#### ..###### #..##### .....### .....###
.....### .....### .....### .....### .#...### .....### .....### .....### #....### .##..### .####### .####### .####### .#######
.....### .....### .....### .....### .....### .#...### .#.#.### ##.#.### ##.#.### ####.### ######## ######## ######## ########

For the curious, attached is the text file for the graphics used by the "fake snowman" animation.

-dZ.

fakesnow.txt

After viewing your Great Wall of text, it is obvious that i will never in my lifetime program a game. i appriciate all you guys that DO make games though!

After viewing your Great Wall of text, it is obvious that i will never in my lifetime program a game. i appriciate all you guys that DO make games though!

That's not text, nor is it any special coding; that's just the graphics. Each "." represents a blank pixel, and each "#" represents a coloured pixel. Those are 14 tiles of 8x8 pixels, each one representing a frame of animation.

Programming a game is hard, but it is really not impossible--as long as you want to learn.

I know that I've learned it is much more attainable than I originally thought. For a large part of my life I thought making a game in Assembly Language was the exclusive domain of geniuses and demigods. I used to dream of someday meeting one of these masters, never feeling worthy enough to reach their level.

I've since discovered that us mere mortals can and do make games, if we learn the tricks of the trade, and are willing to put in the hard work.

You never know until you try. :)

-dZ.

Edited by DZ-Jay

That's not text, nor is it any special coding; that's just the graphics. Each "." represents a blank pixel, and each "#" represents a coloured pixel. Those are 14 tiles of 8x8 pixels, each one representing a frame of animation.

Programming a game is hard, but it is really not impossible--as long as you want to learn.

I know that I've learned it is much more attainable than I originally thought. For a large part of my life I thought making a game in Assembly Language was the exclusive domain of geniuses and demigods. I used to dream of someday meeting one of these masters, never feeling worthy enough to reach their level.

I've since discovered that us mere mortals can and do make games, if we learn the tricks of the trade, and are willing to put in the hard work.

-dZ.

The game looks fantastic ... as I've mentioned before, these in between scenes really add a lot to the game. Can't wait to see the box cover and overlays (which there will be, right?)!

-dZ.

The game looks fantastic ... as I've mentioned before, these in between scenes really add a lot to the game. Can't wait to see the box cover and overlays (which there will be, right?)!

The artwork for the box cover and overlays has been ready for almost a year now (the game was originally intended to be released in Spring 2011). I am holding off on their introduction until we are closer to release, just to keep the intrigue going. :)

I can tell you that I've received very good feedback from those who've seen the artwork. It is very cool work done by Jason Hotle, a talented graphics designer who's also a friend of mine.

-dZ.