IGNORED

Who makes dial (aka "spinner") controllers for the Jaguar?...

ataridave

I think those controllers are awesome. I just wish there was a was a way that I could recycle old 2600 spinners or something (since theres probably much more 2600's around) instead of Frankenstiening out Jaguar controllers. Don't get me wrong, the Tempest controller kick-ass- Maybe I'm just a purist and like my jag controls original, and would rather tear up an older controller that is more common. :)

I think those controllers are awesome. I just wish there was a was a way that I could recycle old 2600 spinners or something (since theres probably much more 2600's around) instead of Frankenstiening out Jaguar controllers. Don't get me wrong, the Tempest controller kick-ass- Maybe I'm just a purist and like my jag controls original, and would rather tear up an older controller that is more common. :)

You haven't seen how many jagpads 'Classic' has then... they're quite common in France ;-) At AC2012 he was selling new boxed ones for 9 Euros, or 8 Euros if you bought 10. He can also do a deal on very large quantities. With Zero's switch design, there's no need to actually kill a jagpad to make it a dual purpose controller, unless you want the spinner where the d-pad is, but at those prices you can make your own spinner for a very good price.

• Like 2

You haven't seen how many jagpads 'Classic' has then... they're quite common in France ;-) At AC2012 he was selling new boxed ones for 9 Euros, or 8 Euros if you bought 10. He can also do a deal on very large quantities. With Zero's switch design, there's no need to actually kill a jagpad to make it a dual purpose controller, unless you want the spinner where the d-pad is, but at those prices you can make your own spinner for a very good price.

Oh cool, thanks sh3-rg :)

I always just figured they are hard to come by but if thats the case its not so bad afterall. Not to mention, you are right- the switch option doesn't hurt the controller as bad lol

What is the D-pad like on the Jaguar controller for playing Tempest 2000? I ask because the d-pad on the PS1 controller is just fine for Tempest X3.

It's fine, but it's more fun with a spinner.

Yeah, I would imagine so. Why didn't Atari ever release one? With games like Tempest 2000 and Breakout 2000, maybe (with proper advertising, of course) it would have helped sell units.

There are instructions for converting Atari 2600 driving controllers into Jaguar rotaries there, but their resolution is pretty low, so they may be a bit cumbersome to use.

Thanks, but I'd rather buy one that's already been made.

Drop this guy a message, he makes them, sells them and ships worldwide!

http://www.atariage.com/forums/user/21821-tronpheus/

Edited by CD-i

Oh man... I have one, but for the life of me I cannot remember where I got it from. I found out about it here... but the controller was very "legit." I mean, the guy who made them had a website, lots of feedback, plenty of previous sales, and he actually made them from brand new Pro or Standard Controllers (you picked). I ended up buying one from him, and it came in the new standard controller box, etc.

I think I paid like $39+ for it, but it was a pretty good deal. It wasn't one of the more well known places like Telegames or Songbird productions, but it was something on here... Maybe it was called the Jaguar Rotary Controller X or something... I don't know... damn...

Todd

You know... it would be rather easy to add a headphone jack to existing Jaguar controllers. Then one could build a plethora of spinners that just have a stereo headphone cable wire, and keep building/buying/modding many spinners to suit taste.

No but really.. think about this. You make a Jag controller rotary, you can't use it for anything else. You put a jack on it, you can keep using it for a Jaguar controller, and plug Driving controllers, arcade spinners, 5200 rollers, whatever, even a mouse in to it without further screwing around with your Jag controller. I guess I need to do this to help describe it.

What is the D-pad like on the Jaguar controller for playing Tempest 2000? I ask because the d-pad on the PS1 controller is just fine for Tempest X3.

I prefer the d-pad on Tempest 2000. I am probably the only here that will say that though. ;)

Well, as long as it's adequate, then that's fine with me-unless I could get a dial controller for less then $50, like Dragonstomper did.

I used a 7800-delux-controller to build a rotary-controller by myself.

I don´t like this kind of joystick to play with, so I had no scruples to modify. ;-)

As spinner it works well... ;-)

Now it looks like this:

post-18285-0-92279500-1336372528_thumb.jpg

"A" (Jump) und "B" (Fire)-trigger put to the original fire-buttons, missing trigger "C" (electric death) is realized with an incremental encoder with push-switch.

For "pause" and "option" I added two micro-switches:

post-18285-0-10348000-1336372978_thumb.jpg

Some pictures from the inside:

post-18285-0-07584100-1336373014_thumb.jpg

post-18285-0-29705200-1336373026_thumb.jpg

post-18285-0-93831800-1336373045_thumb.jpg

The circuit based on the standard jaguar-controller without diodes if not necessary, numberpad and up/down-switch. The inkremental-encoder is wired instead of "left" and "right"-switch. The diodes shown at the pictures are still the wrong way around... floet.gif

In the jag controller´s shematic are three bits (C1..C3 at the bottom) to tell the jaguar which type of controller is attached. Do they have any function? I´ve set them to standard-controller (all thre bits open), but Tempest works fine in rotax-mode...

Sleepy

Edited by Sleepy
  • Like 2

It's fine, but it's more fun with a spinner.

Yeah, I would imagine so. Why didn't Atari ever release one? With games like Tempest 2000 and Breakout 2000, maybe (with proper advertising, of course) it would have helped sell units.

Maybe they just forgot, like they forgot to release games for the Jag CD. :)

• Like 3

In the jag controller´s shematic are three bits (C1..C3 at the bottom) to tell the jaguar which type of controller is attached. Do they have any function?
Not really. As you've discovered, Tempest 2000 doesn't care about them, and most (if not all) of the rotary controllers that have been sold don't connect them, so they appear to be standard pads. Therefore, no rotary-compatible game relies on them ; either they let the user choose the controller type manually, or switch to rotary mode automatically if they detect left and right being pressed at the same time.
  • Like 1

Another option is the ChaosReins rotary at the GOAT Store. We've been carrying them for years now, and they are my personal favorite of the bunch.

As for T2K, it's passable with the controller, but if you can it becomes even better with a rotary. T2K is my favorite game (and best reason to own a Jaguar, in my opinion) and a rotary truly completes the experience.

• Like 1