IGNORED

Space Rocks (2600)

SpiceWare

2while the stress test will run on Stella, it's not useful as a stress test because Stella doesn't emulate how long the ARM processes take to run.

I know you're finishing up this game soon and don't have a lot of time, but I'd like to discuss what would be required in Stella to properly emulate ARM timing. This doesn't have to be done right away; maybe add it to your updated TODO list :)

what would be required in Stella to properly emulate ARM timing

Add cycle counts to the ARM emulation, but I suspect it'll be a bit more complex than the 6507 emulation because of the MAM (cache) that can be disabled/partially enabled/fully enabled.

I did want to mention that I like when it's very hard and there's an impossible amount of things flying around

Thanks to this comment, I've squeezed in another Easter Egg. Trigger it and you've activated No Man's Land where 12 large asteroids start each round :)

• Like 1

• Attract mode has been fixed
  • update to the second easter egg
  • added third easter egg, No Man's Land, which will start every wave with 12 large asteroids

Release Candidate 2 ROMs - Harmony or Stella1

spacerocks20121003_NTSC.bin

spacerocks20121003_PAL.bin

Stress Test ROM - Harmony2

spacerocks20121003_STRESS_TEST.bin

1 Requires Stella ver 3.7.1 or later. See first post for instructions on how to reduce flicker.

2while the stress test will run on Stella, it's not useful as a stress test because Stella doesn't emulate how long the ARM processes take to run.

Edited by SpiceWare

I've found the braking action of the 70-80 degree thrust angle (while going full tilt) to be quite useful. It allows you to quickly get from one side of the playfield to the other without having to perform a lengthy and precise reverse thrust like in Space Wars or Asteroids. You can stop on a dime if you do it right. Sort of like sliding and skidding on our BMX's when we were kids.

• fixed the synchronized rotation issue with large asteroids

Release Candidate 3 ROMs - Harmony or Stella1

spacerocks20121004_NTSC.bin

spacerocks20121004_PAL.bin

Stress Test ROM - Harmony2

spacerocks20121004_STRESS_TEST.bin

1 Requires Stella ver 3.7.1 or later. See first post for instructions on how to reduce flicker.

Edited by SpiceWare
  • Like 2

Darrell, no problems with the stress test on a PAL machine and Harmony.

Something strange happened with normal PAL version.

The enemy ship's shape was always similar to Pac-Man's ghost!

I've tuned off my VCS and now ship's shape is normal.

I dreamed?

Blinky Lives! :D

You found the second of the three Easter Egg (the first is the credits screen, the third is No Man's Land).

You can make Blinky go away by doing the same thing you did to make him appear, though a power cycle is probably quicker :ponder:

This may be a stupid question, but how do you install the ROM on a Harmony cart? I've been testing Stella, and noticed the reports of sound working differently. So I copied the ROM to an SD card and inserted it, but it doesn't seem to work on my Harmony. Do you have to use the programming tool to install this instead??

Confirmed on the BIOS update; it's now working fine. It's amazing how you forget the simplest things. I'm the one that wrote the programming tool software FFS!

I'll try to find some time over the next few days to compare the sound between Stella and the real thing, but playing for a few minutes I didn't notice much difference ...

Somebody beat me to it? Aww!

Well, here is what I saw a few hours ago.

I _think_ I know what I did to get this Easter egg...

And I know the credits Easter egg (I'm in them for suggesting something, thanks again SpiceWare!)

Still don't know how to get the third one. DON'T TELL, just say if you got it.

post-29575-0-74523900-1349572642_thumb.jpg