IGNORED

Mode 15 PAL Blending?

@CharlieChaplin,

Wow, I didn't know about Superpacker. That's really cool. Thanks! There's corrupted pixel in the top left of the sprites in your version. Some artifact of the packer? Could you pack the PAL version as well?

Oh,

I did not notice this bug. Will try to pack it again. On the disk-image above are both versions - tilen.xex is the NTSC version (loads automatically) and tilep.xex is the PAL version (does not load automatically, boot a DOS first, then load it with binary load). Since the NTSC version also works on PAL (just tested on the emulator) I would release only this version...

Here is TeBe`s Superpacker Version 3.3 for the PC which runs fine under Windows. Be aware, that the PC version of Superpacker uses MADS.EXE and your antivirus-program thinks this is a trojan (which is NOT true). Included in the zip-file are some small A8 tools which I use quite often when packing XEX files or making ATR images bootable. Last not least there is also an A8 version named Superpacker by Bewesoft / Jiri Bernasek (the PC version is based on this program afaik), it works good on the A8 but has more limitations and packing with a 1.8Mhz machine takes a little longer than packing on a quadcore 3Ghz machine... ;-) -Andreas Koch.

superpacker33.zip

Edited by CharlieChaplin

Yep, HScrol variations can play havoc for this kind of thing. Probably the best solution is to use only the top range ($0C-$0F) which would make the jitter much more managable.

The other thing is that high values of HScrol can also lighten the overall DMA load slightly.

Timer IRQ would mainly be useful for narrow mode with or without HScrolling - with normal/wide mode you either need to burn cycles or do a WSync anyway so that the changes are outside the visible window but with narrow mode most changes can be done ~ 16 cycles earlier.

@Rybags

Wow, it didn't occur to me that high HSCROL values would save DMAs. That's awesome!

Low HSCROL:

post-21021-0-45337300-1352640342_thumb.png

High HSCROL:

post-21021-0-84387500-1352640341_thumb.png

Maybe now I can fix the discoloration on the right side of the screen where I pushed the color changes sooner to avoid missing the WSYNC deadline on badlines.

• Like 2

@CharlieChaplin

I played with sp33 some and it's amazing. I would love to have a command-line version though. I'll work on aggregating some of the smaller segments as you did to be more amenable to compression. I actually was doing that at one point thinking I would use fox's inflate routine but I deferred that while getting other things working. :)

@emkay

Good question. I haven't tried on a real machine yet. I'd be interested to know if it works. I tried to accommodate the OS instead of relying on SIO patches. I'm also interested to know if I got the VSCROL technique right on PAL since I don't wait until the last scan line of the first mode line to set it.

The latest .atr and .xex files work for me on Altirra and Atari800Win Plus 4.0. What symptoms do you see?

@emkay

Good question. I haven't tried on a real machine yet. I'd be interested to know if it works. I tried to accommodate the OS instead of relying on SIO patches. I'm also interested to know if I got the VSCROL technique right on PAL since I don't wait until the last scan line of the first mode line to set it.

The latest .atr and .xex files work for me on Altirra and Atari800Win Plus 4.0. What symptoms do you see?

That latest files cause the Win800plu 4 to do nothing and Altirra crashes.... alike which settings.

@emkay

Hmm, not sure. For Atari800Win Plus 4.0 you have to use the /run command-line option, drag and drop, Autoboot image or Load executable. Windows Open With doesn't work. It thinks its a disk. I can only get it to crash in Altirra if I set the memory size less than 48K. It works but displays garbage if you select less than 128K or OS-A/B.

I added a the ability to set luminance with the Option key. Binaries here.

Really great job Xuel. How about adding VCS style line wise coloring to the sprite? Since the horizontal position is quite fixed (or at least in the middle range) you could spare some LDA #/STA/STA/STA.

Edited by JAC!

@emkay

Make sure you left click on the links on the download page which will take you to another page. On that page click on View Raw or the Raw button. Don't use right click -> Save As on the first page or else you'll be saving the HTML for the second page.

@Creature XL

Thanks! I'll have to give the timer IRQs a shot.

@JAC!

That's a definite possibility. Rybag's reduced HSCROL DMA technique leaves lots of extra cycles. The four players could even have different gradients. Or the players could be overlapped for 3-color mode if the hero width is reduced. I am not a great artist though, so I'd need work with somebody on that.

@emkay

Make sure you left click on the links on the download page which will take you to another page. On that page click on View Raw or the Raw button. Don't use right click -> Save As on the first page or else you'll be saving the HTML for the second page.

LOL

Save XEX to have HTML and save RAW to have XEX.

Next time I go to a Restaurant, ordering a Rumpsteak and get some Burger. :D

Well, the result is really nice. Big objects used on fullscreen. That's the way.

I was a little optomistic - the big savings are if you're in Wide DMA mode + Hscrolling. If in narrow or normal mode the savings aren't quite so good.

What happens is that Antic stops doing screen DMA at a certain point, if you have a large HScrol value then the cutoff point is more likely to occur.

Also, the DMA starts later so you have more cycles at the left of screen. This comes in handy since the common practice is to try and preload registers, then just burn cycles with WSync before doing the register stores.

The Altirra HW manual has a good graphic illustration of how it all works.

Just get a P.C. for show an idea I had and used quickly PAINT:

post-6517-0-58176600-1352740905_thumb.png

You're changing three registers each scanline: Blue, Red and Green.

If each it's LDA/STA=7cycles then you're wasting 21cycles.

You get colour more three luminances because of the two Grays and Wgite on the luma scanlines.

But you also get Sky with scanlines.

My idea:

-> Black and sky colour Blue it's all high the same (colour,luminance) and Sky looks better, I think...

-> THEN only 2x7cycles=14cycles only on red and Greens

But you still have, Blue colour with more three luminances (from Black, one Gray and White)

-> In a 200 scanlines high screen 7cycles less x 200 scanlines= 1400cycles more for soft sprites (around 70bytes more for soft sprite masking)

Xuel: you're using, I think 3Players for the guy.

Can you post me the guy in 2x1 ratio and original colours frames to see if I can get it coloured on a8 with 4PMGs Multicolour.

Thanks.