IGNORED

[SOLVED] Player Scores Minikernel & Multi-Bank Broken?

Gemintronic

When I try to use a ROM size above 4k the screen either blanks or goes blitzkrieg bamboozlebarf.

The trouble with keeping the game within 4k is that the Title Screen Kernel loses its proper colors.

All the samples of Player Scores Minikernel have been 4k so I've got nothing to compare to.

The included project file is set to 4k and works albeit with wacked out colors in the title screen. The moment you change the code to multi-bank the screen dun work right.

Of course, to change over to multi bank

set romsize 4k needs to be changed to set romsize 8k

gosub titledrawscreen becomes gosub titledrawscreen bank2

asm

include "titlescreen/asm/titlescreen.asm"

end

changes to

bank 2

asm

include "titlescreen/asm/titlescreen.asm"

end

Any clues guys?

MMSBC4k.zip

Edited by theloon

Sorry for the bump but I don't think this has a solution. Lodmot already had a topic where he too had issues with multi-bank and the player scores mini kernel with no replies. CurtisP (maker of the mini kernel) hasn't logged in since last March.

I strongly suspect this mini kernel can't handle multi-bank programs. Maybe R.T. can put a note in his reference so this question doesn't pop up again.

I guess in the future the solution may be to "fake" two player scores by adding a "space" character to the normal scores font and manually updating the far left and far right digits. Yucky.

Edited by theloon

It can work with multi-bank roms, but you need to use the addbcd and subbcd functions in the same bank that you do the "inline bcd_math.asm" in.

Here's a working 16k bas and bin of your game, along with the bas for a 8k playerscores demo.

mmsbc16k.bas

mmsbc16k.bas.bin

playerscores-8k.bas

Its also worth mentioning that you can skip bcd_math and the bcd functions if you do something like the following whenever you modify a player score variable...

asm
sed ; set decimal mode
end

player0score=player0score+1

asm
cld ; clear decimal mode
end

Once again I am blindsided by the obvious. I was treating includes and inline assembly like built-in bB commands. Big thanks for this one RevEng!

The big shocker is that I actualy understand what the heck your assembly example is doing. I guess bB really IS a gateway drug to assembly. hmmn..

• Like 1

Not that obvious at all. Its not like you get a warning or error with this kind of mistake... you just get a binary that doesn't work.

Excellent that you understood the decimal mode setting, and there's definitely learning by osmosis that goes on with bB coding! :)