IGNORED

Muncher - New 2600 Homebrew

Wickeycolumbus

Added some new stuff and did a bit of polishing. Thinking about calling it done soon... so please speak up with suggestions!

Here are the changes:

- fixed some graphical glitches related to the enemies

- added a delay before you can start playing again after loosing a life

- added Wave 9

- added a screen saver when the game is over

MuncherAlt.bin

• Like 4

• 2 months later...

I put the MuncherAlt.bin on my harmony cart a few weeks ago and I just want to keep playing this game!

is this the finished version?

just for fun, I made a cart label for it....not sure if you plan on any future release of this or not.

post-7982-0-99889400-1349468894_thumb.jpg

post-7982-0-93871900-1349468932_thumb.jpg

Edited by Necron99
  • Like 6

I put the MuncherAlt.bin on my harmony cart a few weeks ago and I just want to keep playing this game!

is this the finished version?

just for fun, I made a cart label for it....not sure if you plan on any future release of this or not.

post-7982-0-99889400-1349468894_thumb.jpg

post-7982-0-93871900-1349468932_thumb.jpg

I was just wondering about this game and if it will be released or not. If it will, I'd love it if it was a 2k release!

Oh boy! That cart art is great. :)

If this sees a cart release I'd love to see a proper box and a t shirt featuring that picture... :)

Thanks for all the kind words :) I'm calling it finished for now, but I'd be more than willing to change it up a bit if anyone comes up with a good suggestion.

I've tried talking with Al about a cart release, but he's very busy and hasn't had the chance to test the game out. I'm considering doing a run of carts myself, but it won't be able to do that for a while either. I fully intend to get it on cart one way or another.

@Necron99, I love the label. If you're willing, I think that would look great on the final release!

• 3 months later...

I'd really like to release it at some point (the 2K version, of course). I was hoping it would be sold in the AA store, but Al hasn't gotten back to me in quite some time. I'd consider releasing it myself when I get the chance if nothing else.

Since it seemed like a good amount of people were frustrated with the difficulty, I've changed the number of boards you have to clear to advance to the next level from 4 to 2. Perhaps this will be more playable.

Muncher2levels.bin

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

Just when you think a game is done, you come back to it and think of new things you want to add :) Nothing new yet, just cleared some space. Freed another 50 bytes optimizing things! I REALLY want to get this on cart this summer, so if anyone has any last words/suggestions please speak up.

I'm planning on adding a 10,000 point bonus for each extra life you have after clearing all 9 levels. I also want to speed things up after the game loops back to level 1. I feel like this will provide encouragement to do well in the game, and make things a bit harder as the game progresses. I believe this can be done in the 50 bytes that I have freed, but there are always more to be found if needed.

I'm posting the latest ROM for bug checking purposes, there are no new features in it. Just wanted to make sure I didn't break anything in the optimization process. So if you have the chance, give it a try and let me know if anything weird happens.

I will probably end up doing a self release on this one. Just need to make sure I can get some PCBs and labels.

MuncherRC2.bin

I don't think a sound effect exists that wouldn't annoy some people when it's played as often as this one. After I add what I want, I'll see about using one of the switches to disable it.

Making the sound more complex can help. A lazy bare bones sound effect is usually more grating than a refined one. Using slightly different sounds can help too. So instead of one bare bones sound effect, you'd have something like 5 refined ones that are similar, but different enough to keep the player's brain from exploding (and you'd also fix it so the same sound can't play twice in a row).

I made it to the fourth level. I have a suggestion. The game should, in my opinion, be over when the last yellow life square disappears.

Nice score :)

The only issue I have with ending the game after all the extra squares are gone is that it would make the game have one less possible life. Since people have said it's a hard game to begin with, this would make it slightly more difficult. Currently it is possible to have 6 extra squares at the bottom. Adding any more would require that kernel and a bit of logic to be rewritten which would be a hassle.

I like to think of it as extra lives that can be put on the playfield when you die. So when you don't have any more extras, you are on your last one.