IGNORED

Announcement: SIO2PC/10502PC Dual USB

Hi everybody, I’d like to make an announcement (no I am not getting married again -lol-), It's my new 2 in 1, Auto-Sensing, SIO2PC/10502PC USB edition.

Now, the word auto-sensing here is used in the truest sense as the device will automatically recognize where it's plugged, and configure itself without the help of the software. all happens at hardware level.

Plug it into your Atari and without flipping any switches (hard or soft)it will be ready to be used as a SIO2PC, unplug and re-plug it into your 1050 and it will be ready for 10502PC action. The device works up to 6x SIO speed with no hickups (using Atari DOS 2.5 + Hias's High Speed SIO patch + AspeQt running with 0 pokey divisor) giving you a 125,000 baud throughput.

Naturally it is 100% compatible with AspeQt (open source, free for all SIO2PC software), should work with APE (APE version 3.0.6, in Virtual Com Port Mode only, not tested by myself) and ProSystem (Unregistered version works at 1x speed).

I have not tried to make it compatible with older or abandoned SIO2PC/10502PC software (as such it won't work with software unable to use the DSR –in SIO2PC mode- and DTR -in 10502PC mode-) lines for handshaking. So this rules out ATARI810 and the original SIO2PC).

The device is based on the FTDI RS232R chip and uses modified FTDI driver installation files for VCP. The modification was done to accommodate custom PID (Product ID) and settings programmed into the device EPROM, actual driver files were untouched and are original FTDI files.

I will make the first 10 devices available to AtariAge members at a special price of $55 + shipping, (this will be a special ATARIAGE edition with bright blue LED, a Male A to mini B USB cable and a DVD full with required drivers, ASPEQT v0.8.2, and Atari file archives).

After this sale, the device will only be available from my website (and/or eBay) at a regular price of $65 + shipping. Software and the Drivers for Windows, Linux, MacOs etc. will be available for download from my website.

It takes me about a day or two to build and test each device, depending on where you are on the order list it may take from 2 to 20 days to ship yours, so if you want it fast please order early.

Please note that I AM NOT OFFICIALLY TAKING ORDERS RIGHT NOW, this is only the announcement and a preview of the device

(I have all the necessary parts but I am still waiting for my USB cables to arrive). I will post a pre-order message when I am ready to build and ship. In the meantime I will be pleased to answer any questions you may have. You may of course jump in and order one now, but don’t start counting the days before the actual pre-order message is posted. ;-)

I had great fun building this device and hope you’ll enjoy it just as much.

Thanks, Ray

P.S: (Some photos and two video clips will follow shortly, sorry for the quality of the video clips, i had to use my digital photo camera connected to my laptop like a webcam :-))

post-15627-0-22766600-1337145564_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-63989800-1337145579_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-76191100-1337145618_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-16418600-1337145641_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-39293800-1337145680_thumb.jpg

post-15627-0-64676200-1337147138_thumb.png

post-15627-0-35456700-1337147383_thumb.png

Edited by atari8warez

Hasn't this device already existed.

I recall seeing a USB to Atari SIO device at AtariMax.com that appears to have all the features you are stating.

Sure would not want to jump on anyone's efforts since his device preexisted yours.

About the only thing I can see that might be different is the very fast IO speed and sometimes wonder if that would harm the Atari PC if the IO speed is set too high.

Thank you for the clarification. I use linux as my main everyday OS and having to go to Windows to get my USB2serial, ISO2PC combination work is a pain.

Of course, I am still having to go to Windows to use MaxFlash Studio as no linux version of it exists yet.

Thank you for the clarification. I use linux as my main everyday OS and having to go to Windows to get my USB2serial, ISO2PC combination work is a pain.

Of course, I am still having to go to Windows to use MaxFlash Studio as no linux version of it exists yet.

I'm not a Linux guy, but I think I recall someone mentioning that the Maxflash USB software works under WINE.

Hasn't this device already existed.

I recall seeing a USB to Atari SIO device at AtariMax.com that appears to have all the features you are stating.

Sure would not want to jump on anyone's efforts since his device preexisted yours.

About the only thing I can see that might be different is the very fast IO speed and sometimes wonder if that would harm the Atari PC if the IO speed is set too high.

Yes it's fast thanks to Hias's hi-speed code, thanks to AspeQt and thanks to FTDI chipset and NO HARM IS DONE TO ATARI in the making of this device due to speed. ;-) What's unique with this interface is that it actually senses the device it's plugged in at the hardware level. The only other SIO2PC type device I know of which is able to function as both SIO2PC and 10502PC is Atarimax device (I believe it switches from one mode to the other by using software), but the speed maxes out at 3x SIO, whereas this device can reach 6x. And sure there are some other SIO2PCs out there and each have it's own specialty. The more the merrier if you ask me.

Edited by atari8warez

Hi Mathy, you are right, I am not currently planning to have PCB's made.

why not?

sloopy.

Why not?. Well mainly to keep the cost down, the parts (especially the FTDI part) are already expensive and having the PCBs done professionaly (using the basic board layout with no solder mask and silk screening) would add another $5 to the cost (assuming I make and sell 50 devices, the cost per unit would be higher if i do less than 50 units).

Mind you though I haven't done an extensive research about different PCB manufacturers, the cost I am quoting is based on ExpressPCB (I use their software for board design)

Is there a place you can recommand?

Edited by atari8warez

Hi Mathy, you are right, I am not currently planning to have PCB's made.

why not?

sloopy.

Why not?. Well mainly to keep the cost down, the parts (especially the FTDI part) are already expensive and having the PCBs done professionaly (using the basic board layout with no solder mask and silk screening) would add another $5 to the cost (assuming I make and sell 50 devices, the cost per unit would be higher if i do less than 50 units).

Mind you though I haven't done an extensive research about different PCB manufacturers, the cost I am quoting is based on ExpressPCB (I use their software for board design)

Is there a place you can recommand?

yeah,

http://iteadstudio.c...2o6vlreacb054f7

the PCB's I make custom for my sio2pc-usb's were $1 each... even the VBXE's i am making, the PCBs came from there, and the routing on them is 'interesting' and full of no-no's (i.e. vias in solder pads), and they are very good...

they take gerber files for layouts (which is industry standard), and i use gEDA/schema for the schematic and gEDA/pcb for the pcb layout... and it exports directly to gerber as most decent layout software does... attached is the pcb file for my sio2pc-usb mkII, just rename it from .txt to .pcb and gEDA/pcb will load it... (note there are a couple mistakes in it i fix by hand on the ones i sell)

if you have any questions about gEDA/pcb just ask... ubuntu/debian have it in synaptic for install...

sloopy.

sio2pcmkII.txt

Hmmm, this looks very promising Sloopy.... I think i will actually go with it.... Gotta get my hands on the gEda/pcb now, hope it's available for Windows... (Edit: actually just found a Windows build)

Thanks for the great tip. By the way, where do they ship from and how long does it take to get'em?

Edited by atari8warez

Hmmm, this looks very promising Sloopy.... I think i will actually go with it.... Gotta get my hands on the gEda/pcb now, hope it's available for Windows...

Thanks for the great tip. By the way, where do they ship from and how long does it take to get'em?

gEDA is unix (linux) only... will run on OSX under X tho...

usually 3 weeks from order submit to in my mailbox... during chinese new year it was almost 4 weeks...

also if you use that PCB fix it first... (IIRC, pin 4 of the mini-USB is to be N/C, the mini-USB shell is NOT to be connected to the GND plane, and the LED's are to be tied to Vcc not GND)

I based my design off another persons PCB, and had issues... i spent a few days with an FTDI engineer ironing out the issues, but i already had 100+ PCB's in hand, so I just fixed them by hand and will fix the PCB when I need to order more (about 25 left)...

sloopy.

Hmmm, this looks very promising Sloopy.... I think i will actually go with it.... Gotta get my hands on the gEda/pcb now, hope it's available for Windows...

gEDA is unix (linux) only... will run on OSX under X tho...

usually 3 weeks from order submit to in my mailbox... during chinese new year it was almost 4 weeks...

also if you use that PCB fix it first... (IIRC, pin 4 of the mini-USB is to be N/C, the mini-USB shell is NOT to be connected to the GND plane, and the LED's are to be tied to Vcc not GND)

I based my design off another persons PCB, and had issues... i spent a few days with an FTDI engineer ironing out the issues, but i already had 100+ PCB's in hand, so I just fixed them by hand and will fix the PCB when I need to order more (about 25 left)...

sloopy.

I found a working Windows port of the gEDA and it successfuly loaded your file.. :)

My layout however will be different from yours as I don't have to solder the FTDI RS232R chip or the USB connector. The chip and the connector are already integrated into the DB9 shaped component (the most expensive part that I mentioned above). What I have to do is to connect the legs exposed by that DB9 style component to the other components/parts and the wires from the SIO cable.

So I understand that the PCB manufacturer is in far east, 3 weeks is kinda long time but the price is very attractive...

Ok folks, I considered a custom made PCB option for this SIO2PC/10502PC Dual interface device, even though the price is right, I will have to wait at least another 3 weeks for my custom boards to arrive (and hopefully to arrive without problems). In reality, a ready made PCB isn't going to make my job a lot easier for this particular project, also I am not really looking for fame and even though having my name on the PCB is a cool thing, I'd rather get the device built and sent to their rightful owners quickly as I know some of you have almost grown out of your teenage years waiting to receive some of your purchases ;)

So my question is what do you guys think, is having a professionaly built PCB important in these projects, or is the thought of getting an authentic, fully hand made device is making you dizzy :), please let me know your thoughts even if you're not planning to buy one of these devices.

Thanks,

Ray

Hello Ray

If it were the 90's, perfboard would be OK, but it's the 10's and everybody is using professionally built PCB's.

Mathy

You've got a point there Mathy, perfboard is old school by today's standards, However this only affects the looks (if you have a thing in opening and looking into your devices then a perfboard may be a downer) but if quality of construction is important, I can assure you that each and every connection I make on the perfboard is checked, there is no possibility of broken traces or manufacturing defects that may otherwise go unnoticed. I can not offer a lifetime warranty had I used a cheap pcboard made in some obscure manufacturing facility (of course there are better ones but who can afford hundereds of dollars of setup fees to build a handful of devices). I've sold about 50+ SIO2PC /10502PC, all assembled by hand and most (the ones with an enclosure) with lifetime warranty. I am glad to say that I had zero issues with them so far. The same care goes into each and every device I build. Sure I spend a day, sometimes two for each device, testing it during and after building and after assembling it into the enclosure, sometimes even just before the shipment.

Now that's my point of view of course, and the whole point in me asking your opinions was to determine what is more important to you and how much emphasis you (meaning Atariage users) give to a "modern" look, so I appreciate all and every comment.

Ray

Edited by atari8warez