IGNORED

Red Sea Crossing Wanted Flyer

Zach

This game needs to be in the hands of a collector. It may be a long shot, but it is worth a try to print out this flyer and post on bulletin boards. The more people participate, the greater the chances of someone coming forward ready to sell a copy.

post-2163-0-39678700-1337233411_thumb.png

RedSeaCrossingWanted.pdf

The text reads:

This old game for the Atari 2600 was advertised in religious magazines in 1983. It is highly sought by collectors and is expected to sell for well over $1000.

The game was designed by Steve Stack and produced by Inspirational Game Concepts.

If you have a copy, or know someone who does, please go to atariage.com/forums and let the collector community know of your find.

If Red Sea Crossing is new to you, it is a game that was unknown to the Atari community until 2007 when someone came posted in these forums about finding a copy at a garage sale. There was controversy surrounding the authenticity of the game. Later in 2011 a magazine advertisement was found confirming that the game was at least offered to the public in 1983. So far, the owner of the one purported copy seems reluctant to sell. See these threads for the full story:

http://www.atariage....d-sea-crossing/

http://www.atariage....ea-crossing-ad/

http://www.atariage....riage-database/

• Like 3

Given the nature of the game and how it was (presumably) marketed, I'd suggest trying to get the flyer posted on bulletin boards at churches, religious schools, etc. Some places do publish newsletters and they may be willing to accept an "external" advertisement.

A similar approach may work to shake-loose copies of Music Machine, as that title was marketed to basically the same audience (albeit with more success).

And Ohio would be a good place to post these because that is where nagn2 found his copy, right?

Anywhere in North America would be a good place, but Austin would be especially good, because a copy there would be easy to get authenticated.
  • Like 1

• 3 months later...

Hi, my name is Travis and I own a thrift shop in South Philly called Medium Bob's Curiosity Shop. I recently got my hands on an Atari and a bunch of games, one of these games was "Red Sea Crossing." I was searching around for any possible rarities, and boy was I surprised when I found this post. I attached a photo of the game and was wondering if any anybody could give me some more information on the game.

post-33723-0-04932100-1345400583_thumb.jpg

• Like 8

Hi, my name is Travis and I own a thrift shop in South Philly called Medium Bob's Curiosity Shop. I recently got my hands on an Atari and a bunch of games, one of these games was "Red Sea Crossing." I was searching around for any possible rarities, and boy was I surprised when I found this post. I attached a photo of the game and was wondering if any anybody could give me some more information on the game.

It is a Holy Grail. I recommend you read this: http://www.atariage....g-auction-date/

Welcome, Travis! :)

Please understand if you are met with some skepticism here at first.

We have been down this road before and would like this to be the real deal, but you will have to do some convincing first. That said, we don't want to scare you away or fill up your PM box with all kinds of questions or requests.

As others have suggested, read the threads here that you can do a search for on the subject. It will give you a good idea of where we are coming from with regards to this game.

Many of us (myself included) are most interested in archiving these old games and programs for history's sake and sharing the fun of playing the games and understanding the programming tricks to make them work on the limited hardware of the VCS/2600.

To that end, we recommend you have your "Red Sea Crossing" dumped (the binary copied off the cartridge into a file to work on contemporary computers) so that it can be preserved before bit-rot sets in other possible wear and tear on the cartridge. To do this, there are several honest and highly respected individuals here in our community that can do this for you and/or meet with you to have it preserved.

Please also check out Atarimania:

http://www.atarimani...sing_20276.html

They are constantly looking to verify the information they have about every game we know about, and some we don't.

Also check out similar "discovered" games such as Extra Terrestrials, which went very smoothly, IIRC.

http://www.atariage....a terrestrials

Now, a question for you: Do you own an Atari VCS/2600? :)

• Like 2

Travis, you need to find a known Atari collector\enthusiest in your area to confirm the authenticity of your cartridge.

As soon you are able to do that you will be able to sell your cartridge for at least $1000 USD, most probably more.

Be ready to have the buyer want to pick it up in person also as with a cartridge as rare as this (yours is only the second)

the odds are it would be in an in person transaction.

Well-- what a day it's been.

I had just opened a beer, started to check some Atari posts online, and then... I came across this particular doozy.

I live on the outskirts of Philly. So, I had to make a decision. I decided to put my open beer in the fridge, and go check this out.

I think I'm the closest Atari 2600/7800 guy in the area (at least based on the map function in Atariage).

So, I thought I'd go check this out-- it's about a 20 minute drive for me, which isn't bad. This is even closer to my work, which is cool too.

The thrift shop itself is pretty good; I've seen a few of them in the area; many have creepy old-lady-clothes, and dolls and weird plates and stuff.

This place has some class to it; I saw the Atari, a Nintendo Power Pad, and some old-school board games that were in pretty good condition.

He also mentioned that he had some TurboGrafx stuff. I'd probably stop in there again just to see if the place had any new swag.

Here's what the store looks like:

post-151-0-33170400-1345411059_thumb.jpg

I had a nice conversation with the cartridge owner-- he seems like a pretty easygoing guy, and seemed excited about his find.

He's actually a Nintendo collector, and told me the story about how he had once as a kid gone to a flea market and found a Tengen Tetris available for really cheap, and decided to pass on it since he already had the Nintendo version. A few years later, Tengen Tetris became known as "the rare Tetris"-- I can remember when those prices skyrocketed. The owner was thrilled that this is the second time in his life that a rarity has crossed his path.

He has read the full threads on atariage, so he knows the story pretty well about the "other" Red Sea Crossing.

He hasn't tested the game yet (he was missing a few parts to connect an Atari to a TV), but he says that will happen in due time.

I'm sure that most of us here (myself included) would be willing to provide any necessary parts if needed.

He has had a few offers already, so if you're reading this, note that you're not the first guy to call. :)

I asked him if he'd be ok with me taking a picture of the cartridge, so I did:

post-151-0-05047400-1345411069_thumb.jpg

That was kind of him, as he doesn't know me at all (even though people here know me as a homebrewer).

He said that the plans are for the cartridge is going to go to a safety deposit box for awhile-- at the moment, he's interested in getting a little bit of publicity for the store.

And, I can't see a problem with that-- it's a pretty good little thrift store. The Atari 2600 that's there has some commons, but a few slightly rarer games (such as Pigs In Space and I think Star Trek). I think it's like 15-20 games or so; he's going to sell them as a lot, if anyone's interested.

Now, with that being said, if anyone does make an offer, I'd be willing to try to offer help with the transaction, since there aren't a lot of collectors in the Philadelphia area.

But, that would be up to the seller and buyer. Additionally, if the seller has any questions / needs help testing the game / wants help getting local publicity, I'll volunteer my services there as well. Pretty much, if I can help anybody here, I will. I just think it's a neat story and a fun piece of history.

Anyway, I'd like to thank the current cartridge owner for his time today.

I was pretty excited when I entered the store-- just to be able to see a rare cartridge like this is a real treat.

And, he was quite personable for someone who has now been thrust into our little community.

I'm really curious where this will go. :)

Regards,

-John

• Like 9

Holy Sh*t.... (no pun intended on the holy part :D). Now that it is confirmed as real, I really wonder where this is going to go as far as price??? With one confirmed and a possible second about to hit eBay later this week, does anyone have a guess? I think it will easily clear $1000.00. What does everyone else think?

Someone brought this to my attention. I am looking at the pic and see some differences in the label than the one I have. It seems a very strange coincidence that one showed up all of a sudden a few days before I was going to auction mine off. Is it possible to get a better pic?

Someone brought this to my attention. I am looking at the pic and see some differences in the label than the one I have. It seems a very strange coincidence that one showed up all of a sudden a few days before I was going to auction mine off. Is it possible to get a better pic?

strange indeed !

Thanks for the story, John! :)

And thank you Travis, for giving John a chance to check out the cartridge in person. Crossing my fingers that the game works fine on the Atari 2600 once you get it up and running. 8)

Also, good luck with your auction, nagn2! Travis's find may actually generate more interest in your copy of the game as now it appears to be confirmed that the game indeed exists. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

This is what kind of happened with the Pink Panther....when one came out, then another five of them came out relatively close in time....not surprised.... and the one this guy has is in better shape...interesting. If this is true, the value has significantly gone down...like what happened when the third copy of the Pink Panther came out....it did not even hit $900.

• Like 3

What kind of differences?

oddly enough there are upwards of 20 or so air raids so far and they get thousands of dollers... so wouldnt only having 2 or 3 copies make that way more rare !

True, but with original games like the Pink Panther (five known to exist), there are less copies of it and are worth less than an Air Raid cart.....weird but true. I think with the Air Raid cart, the uniqueness of the cart (color, shape, etc), makes it more interesting to collectors.