IGNORED

Is Thunderfox worth purchasing?...

ataridave

One of the few Uridium clones out there. IMHO, it´s only got cool sound FX and a *nice* intro. But I wouldn´t invest money on it after all. First try Mirax Force, instead.

- Y -

OK, thanks! I found this short quote about it on Atarimania: "It's a decent shooter, but certain parts of the background will kill you if you ram into them and it's also annoying to use the keyboard to switch between your lasers and bombs. Other than those issues, it's a solid game."

Does that about sum it up? I don't think I'd mind using the keyboard to switch between lasers and bombs-in Defender, you have to remember to hit the space bar to launch a bomb.

There are a lot of good shooters out there and Thunderfox falls right in the middle. It's a fun game and not that difficult once you get used to the touchy controls; totally responsive, but mainly it's touchy between slow and fast speeds which is controlled strictly by pulling or pushing the stick in the direction you want to go. but since turning around, going slow and going fast are all in the stick, it's touchy. You will crash a lot into tall structures (watch for them by the shadow they cast) just becuase you were going to fast and couldn't slow down instead crashing or turning around. Other than this issue, it's a fun game with good graphics. But Mirax Force is a very similiar game (I think both written by the same guy; I think it's even the same graphic engine) and a bit easier to play, though controls are identical, just a bit less touchy.

Edited by Gunstar

If you want instructions I have the game and can scan them in a day or two. Surprised they are not online already.

Perhaps I will finally go further than level one. Please, post those scans.

- Y -

Edited by Yautja

If you want instructions I have the game and can scan them in a day or two. Surprised they are not online already.

Perhaps I will finally go further than level one. Please, post those scans.

- Y -

Yes, please post them! Mirax Force looks great, but it's a PAL-region game, and I have an NTSC Atari 800XL.

I thought Mirax force summed up a lot of the games of that time... looked great (got reasonably good reviews) but the gameplay is very poor... no resistance to the movement - not fun to play. Not played Thunderfox seems a much better game, but not played it a lot. Budget games Dawn Raider (despite the bugs) and Tanium are far better H-Scrolling games (also checkout Guard recently played in the HSC's "Polish Games" round) ;)

Thunderfox is a nice Uridium clone done by a mate of mine and Carmels named Noel Daniel, his previous work was the great fun shooter Sidewinder along with the other future ware team. He wrote this while working for the infamous Silica Shop in the UK.

Its a good clone of uridium if not a tad hard at times, worth it at the right price and very nice music by Oral C.

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

But Mirax Force is a very similiar game (I think both written by the same guy; I think it's even the same graphic engine) and a bit easier to play, though controls are identical, just a bit less touchy.

Just for info, Mirax Force (and also similar, The Last Guardian), were written by another guy, Chris Murray. (mrparp in the AtariMania forums)

Well I read the instructions and switching weapons looks pretty simple to me, I'll get this. @Gunstar-I'm still curious as to how you play Mirax Force, because-like me-you live in NTSC territory.

Shoot, Tanium and Dawn Raider are both PAL-region games too.

Edited by ataridave

Well I read the instructions and switching weapons looks pretty simple to me, I'll get this. @Gunstar-I'm still curious as to how you play Mirax Force, because-like me-you live in NTSC territory.

Shoot, Tanium and Dawn Raider are both PAL-region games too.

Quite simple, I long ago installed a PAL Antic chip in my computer and thus not only retain (as far as I can tell) 100% NTSC compatibility, but about 99% of PAL region games too. There are still a few PAL games that don't work, but it's the fault of the programmers who write the programs to specifically check for a PAL machine that those few games won't load.

But, as far as Mirax Force is concerned, I played it many years ago (90's) on a strictly NTSC 130XE and never had a problem. Not all games that are PAL fail to work on NTSC machines, probably somewhere between 25-50% will work o.k. on NTSC machines.

Edited by Gunstar