IGNORED

Is Thunderfox worth purchasing?...

ataridave

Knock it off everyone.

I'm only responding to the title of the thread. Those games - like Thunderfox - took place at the weakest point of the A8. Unexperienced coders hit fast the direct limits of the A8 there and release the "unfinished" game.

The difference of work between such game, and to have it all moving freely, is immense. like a factor of 10. So people who wanted to earn money swapped over to other machines where their work was better payed.

I'm only responding to the title of the thread. Those games - like Thunderfox - took place at the weakest point of the A8. Unexperienced coders hit fast the direct limits of the A8 there and release the "unfinished" game.

They can still be playable games though, shoot 'em ups don't need much to make them fun, just a player craft, enemies, bullets and off we go! Since i lump Thunderfox in with Mirax Force, Humanoid and other games that use similar sprite handling, i'm always going to prefer Humanoid because i like fixed speed scrollers more than multi-directional - i'd pick Humanoid over Dropzone most of the time for the same reason.

The difference of work between such game, and to have it all moving freely, is immense. like a factor of 10. So people who wanted to earn money swapped over to other machines where their work was better payed.

Free vertical movement for enemies using a similar technique to Thunderfox is actually pretty easy; the only issue is that when objects cross on the player 3/4 "stack" and it'll be the last one drawn that gets priority on the scanlines they're both using (for the other scanlines, both objects are visible) so if the draw order is reversed every other frame, objects'll "time share" those crossed spaces (one object getting priority on odd frames, the other on even) and both remain at least partially visible. YouTube pretty much nukes that flickering and there's only a couple of test enemies, but this

uses that method.[1]

Going further from that... well, i wouldn't have said it was more difficult by a factor of ten but that next step involves using similar techniques for sort-based multiplexing as Armalyte uses on the C64 so yes, it is harder to do. =-)

[1] i say "engine test" but it's pretty much a full game that just lacks cosmetic code and, importantly, level data...

To be honest I've just found possbily the best A8 scrolling shooter (ok I've not played the fantastic Aquatron for ages) and it's name is Vanguard - yes, really. I thought it was only an average game with poor controls but after playing it for 2 weeks (moonlighting and kicking butt ;) ) in the 5200 HSC, the game is superb once you work out how to play (use the games Rapid fire setting with bursts of manual fire). Read my comments on Post 43 and others. Don't be put off by holding in fire and wondering why you can't move - the first round is much slower and the game just gets better and better. The game has varied game play, exhilarating scrolling, progressive difficulty (I'm up to the 5th round so far) superb sounds, good graphics, very addictive 10/10

p.s. if you NTSC guys do get a PAL working setup checout Zone X another great game :thumbsup:

Going further from that... well, i wouldn't have said it was more difficult by a factor of ten but that next step involves using similar techniques for sort-based multiplexing as Armalyte uses on the C64 so yes, it is harder to do. =-)

For such games you don't even get bothered with the limitations of the C64, so you can start thinking of a working game , without writing a "flickering multiplexer" first.

btw: 10 times....

A sprite on the C64 takes one "LDA / STA" command for the vertical position. A 10 line high 3 colour PM object needs an "LDA/STA" 20 times plus clearing routines.... plus the multiplexer.... plus the sorting....

At least, you can save cycles by disabling the PM DMA, when doing this multiplexing, where the sprites on the C64 always take their cycles.

Using no DMA there, also saves cpu cycles from "clearing data", and it makes it possible to re use the PMg in a scanline aswell....

So it depends on the complexity of an engine , how much expense is needed for such a game.

10 times is a good approximation there...

Edited by emkay

Jesus, someone rename Emkays avatar to 'Thread stopper'....

Never have i seen a person debate so much based upon 'perceived knowledge' as opposed to hands on quality coding time..

Its like going to the hospital (as i do a lot) and hearing the opinion of an F1 about your condition, sorry but I trust only the consultant every time..(F1 only watchy & leany , consultant done learny and do'ey many times)

Edited by Mclaneinc
  • Like 1

For such games you don't even get bothered with the limitations of the C64, so you can start thinking of a working game , without writing a "flickering multiplexer" first.

And that's what i said when you said that the same knowledge used to produce Thunderfox could translate to code "games like Armalyte". If you just write something without being bothered with the C64's limitations you get a game like Radius and that's leagues away from what Armalyte does on pretty much any level. If you write something on the C64 with Thunderfox-style sprite recycling you get Delta or perhaps Danger Zone with scrolling and, again, not in the same ballpark as Armalyte technically.

btw: 10 times....

A sprite on the C64 takes one "LDA / STA" command for the vertical position. A 10 line high 3 colour PM object needs an "LDA/STA" 20 times plus clearing routines.... plus the multiplexer.... plus the sorting....

That's not what you were challenged over; to remind you, i was responding to your statement in post #51 that "Those games - like Thunderfox - took place at the weakest point of the A8. Unexperienced coders hit fast the direct limits of the A8 there and release the "unfinished" game. The difference of work between such game, and to have it all moving freely, is immense. like a factor of 10" (my emphasis) so how the C64 handles things is irrelevant because we're just talking A8. i'll ask again though because i'm intrigued and what you said doesn't tally with my own experiences; going from Thunderfox to something with free vertical motion on objects, where are you getting that factor of ten from?

For reference, my solution in that video has flicker, yes, but only when two objects co-exist on the same scanline - the wave data in use was modified to deliberately make those conflicts happen because i was talking about what it does under those circumstances and wanted a visual demonstration. If the enemies are scripted to avoid conflicts (as in this

with the original test waves restored but no sound because i'd left the mute on in A8Win... oops =-) it handles six enemies with occasional flicker at the extremities and only then if an object event is mistimed in the script (that isn't happening in the video, by the way). It still has free vertical motion in the sense that it doesn't matter which object slot is assigned to an enemy at spawn (in fact they change slot order if enemies are shot, the engine always grabs the lowest-numbered available one) and the wave manager can be told to make objects cross and cause flicker if i ask it to but i'll always try to avoid that in a working game.

(Callisto is similar in some respects, it has totally free vertical placement of objects but via a sorting multiplexer and i've scripted them to within an inch of their lives to prevent overloading of sprites on a scanline.)

• Like 3

Since this thread is "responsible" for me spending an evening prodding at the source code i might as well

... objects now use a dark grey for low light but have two shades of a colour each, the background colour has been changed, lots of behind-the-scenes code tidying has taken place and end of level detection enabled. For a project i've been calling "stalled" that's quite a bit of work! =-)
  • Like 4

Since this thread is "responsible" for me spending an evening prodding at the source code i might as well

... objects now use a dark grey for low light but have two shades of a colour each, the background colour has been changed, lots of behind-the-scenes code tidying has taken place and end of level detection enabled. For a project i've been calling "stalled" that's quite a bit of work! =-)

it looks frickin' awsome, but then I'd rather play it than watch it...

• 1 year later...

lol armalyte, slow as heck to move around laggy, lacking in music. not to mention oh my god if he thinks this is great.. gotta leave go of the joystick to hit the keyboard because if you leave off the fire button, well you get the idea. detach the drone dodge around behind it and win over and over and over again.... drone just doesn't die. Just let the drone sit in the correct spot rinse repeat.

It didn't really have a backgroung in fact I just loaded it up on th c128 and yep its a black background period... as I play this further some levels have nothing but me and the enemy..... nothing zilch. So lets see enemy and a single layer that is sometimes present.... what is all the fuss about.

oh the boss on level 3 takes up most of the screen top to bottom so I guess nah dropped my drone dead center and blammo it's dead. sorry but the game play just isn't here for me.... and there is no background but I do have to blast thru some of it so I guess the single layer does have some obsticles

Sorry I just don't see a fight in this at all.... I think maybe we should all just get back to having fun... which sadly I just wasted 20 minutes of my time to find out armalyte isn't.... but hey I dusted 2 inches of dust off my commodore so at least I know it still works. The Joystick is now plugged back in to the Atari...

Edited by _The Doctor__

Just played Thunderfox, more of a challenge Backgrounds and stuff to shoot on the background stuff to run into and die on obstacles stuff to shoot thru... enemy doesn't dance around in circles and I thing if they did that would make it cooler. I like the alternate ways around the ship. The ship is shooting at me. just landed went thru some lazer wall puzzels.. The enemy at the end is just about as challenging dodge the shots blow the barriers. Was it fun? Yes. Was the enemy dancing in circles? no... These two don't appear to be the same concept of game at all. Why are we comparing them? I had more fun playing Thunderfox but these are two completely different games...

Can't even remember why Armalyte was brought up, Thunderfox was clearly a clone of Uridium and I think Noel did a reasonable job with it, I also like the music by Oral C, I can't remember if he said he even got properly paid for it but as a game its fun enough for a blast here and then.

So to answer the thread title, yes its worth purchasing (but 2yrs late in that reply)

Edited by Mclaneinc

Can't even remember why Armalyte was brought up

Because emkay mistakenly thought it was as easy to do on the C64 as Thunderfox was on the Atari 8-bit, nobody was comparing it directly to Thunderfox as a game as such because they're different sub genres.

As for The Doctor's necro-posting opinion of Armalyte... well, that's personal opinions for you isn't it? =-)

No. Only on AtariOnline on a Thread where he posts his POKEY YouTube videos experimentals.

And even at AOnline it's only on this topic . Not again he wrote or entered in any other one.

I think the last post or one of latest from him here was in Summer on that thread that I oppened about C64 game Bomber would be an ideal one to port into A8.

• 2 years later...

Because there's no Uridium game on 8bit Ataris.

It's just hacked (well kinda) Astromeda. http://www.atarimania.com/game-atari-400-800-xl-xe-astromeda_367.html

Yes, thanks for the clarification. I kept hearing people say that Uridium wasn't available on the Atari 8-bit, and then I found the "Uridium" hack of Astromeda and wondered why people didn't know of the 8-bit version. But the game has terrible control, so I didn't know what all the fuss was about over Uridium, with all the better clones (better than Astromeda) like Mirax Force. It's good to know at least that this isn't the real Uridium being ported badly to the Atari or something. It has great graphics, but the control makes it awful. So now I know it's Astromeda that plays awful, not Uridium.