IGNORED

Colleen: Android emulator

Philsan

Part of the problem is there seems little interest and when non-PC emulators of the A8 do appear they don't seem to have local optimizations.

Nintendo DS is a good example - we have an 800 emu but it runs maybe 75% of the real speed, yet there's SNes and Megadrive emulators that perform better.

it's sad that development has stopped

Droid800 development has stopped.

As far as I know Colleen is still developped.

11.3.2012 - no news, only new name and reupload to google play..

Only new name and reupload?

Changes for version 1.4:

* Android port renamed to Colleen

* Implemented paddle emulation

* Allow file selector to roam outside the directory provided by the OS (allows for weird mount points on some devices)

* Support for saving and loading the emulator state

* Various small bug fixes and improvements

Months ago I contacted the author and he told me he was still developing.

Nintendo DS is a good example - we have an 800 emu but it runs maybe 75% of the real speed, yet there's SNes and Megadrive emulators that perform better.

I think that the problem with the DS port (PokeyDS) was that the developer dropped the DS totally in favour of the Dingoo, he didn't just dump the Atari emulator

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Yup, new version of Colleen released today, with some new functionality that allows us to write new Atari 800 games using touchscreen input and Internet linkage! Kostas has bundled my Planetary Defense 2012 executable, a new, improved version of the ANALOG Computing type-in program that uses the touchscreen feature and submits scores to an Internet leaderboard.

Colleen Link

This has been a very fun collaboration, and I'm looking at other programs that we can upgrade to the improved functionality.

I've just installed the new version of Colleen on my Google Galaxy Nexus with Jelly Bean.

In my opinion it's not easy to show console keys, in landscape mode especially.

Often I get the action bar instead of console keys overlay.

Moreover, console keys descriptions are too small to read.

It would be nice to display the real Atari keyboard instead of Android one.

Marvin, Android ZX Spectrum emulator, displays Spectrum's keyboard.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 11 months later...

tried it today. discovered keyboard input doesnt work properly. real pain when trying to enter name for plantery defence high score list. could only enter numbers or period. ended up with name of 8888.

cannot load files from disk etc. why???

james

It's been reported that some built in keyboards on android devices have incompatibilities with Colleen. You can solve this problem by installing Hacker's keyboard (available on Play Store), or using a normal hardware keyboard.

By the way, I've contacted the author to report other compatibility issues, such as the 16-bit sound, which is unavailable on latest Android OS (i.e. 4.1, 4.2). First time it works, but if you exit the application and run it again it is gone. And 8-bit sound is terrible on modern devices. You can fix this reinstalling the app or cleaning the data from Application Manager. But it's a pain to lose your custom settings everytime you want to play again.

• 1 month later...

It runs pretty well on my Nexus 7 (2012).

My only problem so far is the keyboard. I can't figure out how to do control keys or shift-control keys. I already had the Hacker keyboard installed,which still doesn't work. In fact, some things are worse. Trying to do a control sequence and nothing gets typed plus the keyboard hides.

Planetary Defense 2012 is awesome though!!