IGNORED

Story of "Missile Command" - now interactive!

sydric

Many of you might remember the "Read-Along" book and record combo for the "Story of Missile Command":

MEMStoryofMC-1-200.jpg

Well I recently converted the audio from the record to MP3 and decided to take it a step further. I've built an "interactive" version of the original story book so that those that do not own it can listen to the story (and "amazing" special sound effects lol) and flip through the pages. It was a fun little project for me and I hope you enjoy.

It's available as a free download and I'll love for everyone to give it a shot and let me know what you think. The download is just under 15MB (I didn't bother trying to reduce the size of the audio since 15MB isn't much of a big deal anymore sadly). I have already converted the audio for the "Story of Asteroids" and plan on working on that one in the next couple of weeks.

If anyone wants to know more technical details on how it was accomplished or has suggestions for other little projects like this let me know.

Go to this page for the download. It is presently available only for Windows (sorry Mac and Linux users).

http://www.pcmuseum.ca/details.asp?id=39639&type=Memorabilia

Thank you. Believe it or not, I used an inexpensive USB turntable ($50) from Vibe (http://www.amazon.com/VS-2002-SPK-Turntable-Archiver-Built-speakers/dp/B005A9ZYI4/ref=pd_cp_e_1) and captured the audio at the standard 44,100.

The only processing I did on the audio was to edit the beginning and ending (to get rid of unnecessary audio), splice the two sides together into one file and then I used the "Click Removal" effect in Audacity (although I know you can still hear a bit of hiss and pop from the record, but I kinda like it that way).

Also, it is not documented but you can turn the pages by simply pressing the LEFT MOUSE BUTTON anywhere on the page to go to the next page, right button to go back a page and the ESC key to exit (if you don't want to click on the buttons).

Heh. Commander Kramer! Am I the only one picturing Rex Kramer from the movie "Airplane!"?

"Ted, do you know what it's like to fall in the mud and get kicked... in the head... with an iron boot? Of course you don't; no one does. That never happens. Sorry, Ted, that's a dumb question. Skip that."

Well done on the interactive book.