IGNORED

What defines a Rogue-like game?

Gemintronic

With more than a few people putting Rogue on their do-want list in this topic:

http://www.atariage....o-you-wish-for/

I started thinking about what defines a Rogue-like and how that could apply to the 2600.

I remember something about going to the bottom of a dungeon to defeat a boss then climbing back up to win.

I remember having potions armor weapons and rings.

I remember stupid permadeath and starvation.

isn't that about all a Rogue-like is? In that case, ALL of the above seems doable for the 2600. Anything I'm missing or over-simplifying? Any perceived show stoppers?

What would a Rogue-like for 2600 look and play like?

Edited by theloon

I'm pretty sure the Answer lies in finding the middle ground between Rogue and Adventure. What features would make Rogue too much like Adventure? What features would make Adventure too much like Rogue? If I can define the sweet spot then bob's your uncle.

I love exploring terrain that was created using controlled randomness, looking for treasure and other cool stuff. Games like Civilization 2 scratch that itch, but I don't care much for most of the other stuff, like researching technology.

Yeah, complex of controls will have to go out the window with an Atari 2600 game. Can anyone double check my sanity on the basic aspects of a Rogue-like?

* Go to the lowest floor and defeat a boss. Come back to dungeon level 1.

* Collect food, rings, potions, armor, weapons and spells.

* No saves. Starve if hungry for too long.

* Fight random monsters.

That seems like Rogue in a nutshell, no?

Yeah, complex of controls will have to go out the window with an Atari 2600 game. Can anyone double check my sanity on the basic aspects of a Rogue-like?

* Go to the lowest floor and defeat a boss. Come back to dungeon level 1.

* Collect food, rings, potions, armor, weapons and spells.

* No saves. Starve if hungry for too long.

* Fight random monsters.

That seems like Rogue in a nutshell, no?

Yep. And about enough to piss off the Atari 2600 gods. As in, that's probsbly about all the 2600 could handle in a halfway well written game.

Rouge-like games are crazy. I have played ADOM for years and never come close to beating it. The controls are very important to remember, taking your time matters for a lot, and paying attention to everything is a must. The sheer number of things that can happen and have to be handled correctly make these games very challenging indeed. If you ever master one though you have surely done something.

ADOM, Slash'EM, and NetHack ruled me for a good while and are a pile of fun if you can find the most recent version and get everything running. Just don't go thinking you are going to beat one anytime soon. There are things like the DOOM Rouge-Like that are very good ways to get used to the idea without too much complication.

Could the Stellar Track or the Basic programing kernel be adapted to run a game like that? (NO I dont mean programing IN Basic P... That would be the shortest rouge ever) As for control scheme, you got 12 keys on a keypad, depending on how many different commands you plan on having thats at leats 12 commands there. Diff switches or the color switch yeilds another 12. Typed commands are right out unless you support the commavid.

Edited by Syntaxerror999

A few grand wizards are working on a text display kernel:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/180632-32-character-text-display/unread/

Batari BASIC support is probably waay in the future. I'd love to use it though.

Commands would have to be either activated by short or long button presses. I could use the 6 digit score as a menu like I did in my mock up here:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/167124-what-should-the-next-2600-rpg-be-like/#entry2065929

I suspect it'll be another week or two before the text display kernel is finished. bB support will be up to somebody else as once the text kernel is done I'll be back to Space Rocks. And yes, I'm taking this diversion because the text kernel will be in Space Rocks. It'll be nice to have a display larger than 12x9 :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S5huVcpYPzs

For Rogue/NetHack I could see using a joystick in the left port for movement and attack/flee (firebutton + direction where direction towards enemy is attack while away from enemy is flee) and a keypad in the right port where each button is a command.

Alternatively, use a joystick in the right port for the commands. Up/down cycles thru commands, left/right cycles thru objects. Hitting fire would pick the displayed command or object.

Edited by SpiceWare

@GroovyBee:

I hope that cc65 at least has text printing libraries for 7800. Otherwise I'd have to bug you about alpha testing your C libraries :P THEN I would have to spend $100 on an XM. Have to remember that part while there still are some left.

@toilettunes:

Thanks to the friendly folks at Temple of the Rogue-like I was able to find a REALLY good reference as to what Rogue is all about:

http://userpages.monmouth.com/~colonel/rvm.html

@GroovyBee:

I hope that cc65 at least has text printing libraries for 7800. Otherwise I'd have to bug you about alpha testing your C libraries :P THEN I would have to spend $100 on an XM. Have to remember that part while there still are some left.

There is no official support in CC65 for the 7800 yet. MARIA does have what Atari called "indirect mode" and everybody else called character mode. So its relatively easy to get text on the screen once you have set up the display lists accordingly. You don't need to mess about with font bitmap data directly.

For those of us using Linux here is a Rogue-like game called Dungeon Crawl (it looks WAY too complex for my taste). It has a tile version and a text version that can run in a console. If you are using Debian / Ubuntu at a command prompt just type - sudo apt-get install crawl

Website - http://crawl.develz.org/wordpress/downloads

There is a more modern rogue-like that started as a GBA homebrew called POWDER. It played pretty good for consoles that have no keyboard.

Here is the POWDER GBA ROM.

They also have versions for:

Website - http://www.zincland....?pagename=about

powder117.zip

I've actually played Powder for the GBA and PSP. I should study the way he handles input.

I'm thinking:

Potions -> Short FIRE button press

Scrolls -> Long FIRE button press

Attack -> Contact with enemy

Feed -> Automatic use of equipped food when starvation reached

Armor -> Auto erasure of old armor and equip of new piece.

Weapon -> Auto erasure of old weapon and equip of new piece.

Ring -> Auto erasure of old ring and equip of new piece.

Use Stairwell -> Go upstairs/downstairs on contact.