IGNORED

R'cade Live!: Live broadcasts starting 11 AM June 30

http://www.retrocademagazine.com/live.htm

We have a block of live programming beginning this Saturday at 11 AM EDT with Paul Zimmerman on Donkey Kong Junior (Wii VC) and then at 8 PM EDT it's Mason Cramer on Donkey Kong Junior (NES).

Live streaming continues Sunday, July 1 @ 9 AM as the King of 3, George Riley, streams Donkey Kong 3 (MAME). Then on July 3 at 5:00 PM EDT, Marc Cohen streams Video Pinball (2600).

The block of programming wraps up on Independence Day with Christian Keilback's Berzerk (2600) world record attempt at 8:30 AM EDT.

We will be collecting money for Child's Play throughout all these broadcasts. Stay tuned to Facebook and Twitter (@RcadeMag) for live streaming updates from R'cade Live!

post-22552-0-19363700-1340642618_thumb.png

post-22552-0-07965200-1340642623_thumb.png

post-22552-0-18998100-1340642624_thumb.png

• Like 1

We're Live!

June 30 11 AM EDT

Paul Zimmerman's DK Jr. (Wii VC) world record attempt

June 30 8 PM EDT

Mason Cramer's DK Jr. (NES) R'cade Mag high score attempt

July 1 9 AM EDT

George Riley's DK3 (MAME) world record attempt

July 3 5 PM EDT

Marc Cohen's Video Pinball (2600) world record attempt

July 4 8:30 AM EDT

Christian Keilback's Berzerk (2600) world record attempt

July 4 5:00 PM EDT

Brian Allen's Donkey Kong Junior (arcade) world record attempt

• Like 1

Broadcasting continues tonight at 5 PM EDT with Marc Cohen on Video Pinball (2600)

Tomorrow morning at 8:30 AM, the excitement continues with Christian Keilbaca's Berzerk (2600) world record attempt followed by Brian Allen's DK Jr. (arcade) world record attempt at 5 PM EDT.

Check it out on R'cade Live! http://www.retrocademagazine.com/live.htm

On another topic, here's the promo video for issue 3 I made today

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y5acAteiEZo

Congratulations on the world record. Too bad you didn't make it to a million this time. Are you going to try again?

BTW, I have a few questions:

1. What happened when you said there was a "level reset"? (Around 806,000)

2. What happened there at the very end when you lost all your lives and the game ended?

(The thread title is unfortunate, because it isn't clear that it's mostly about your record breaking feet and video. People will miss it.)

Edited by BillyHW

Thank you everyone :) did anyone else break anything besides me?

No but Mason Cramer was close on DK Jr. He ended up at 1.7 million and it really looked like he was in a groove to do it but unfortunately it didn't pan out that way.

Anyways, it was a great block of programming and hopefully we'll be able to throw something together again soon. I'll throw some feelers out there for availability Labor Day weekend.

Congratulations on the world record. Too bad you didn't make it to a million this time. Are you going to try again?

BTW, I have a few questions:

1. What happened when you said there was a "level reset"? (Around 806,000)

2. What happened there at the very end when you lost all your lives and the game ended?

(The thread title is unfortunate, because it isn't clear that it's mostly about your record breaking feet and video. People will miss it.)

Thank you very much, it was such a nice feeling to end the game on my own instead of the attract mode counter killing it for me.

I will try again. I will go after game 1 this time, so I get my name for both. Might as well being I beat the one score, right?

1. The game level resets around every 65k to 70k. The level reset is when the robots go back to shooting super slow. Not only does the score roll at 1 mil, but the level rolls at 127. It then goes back to 0 then 1. 0 is identical to level 1.

2. I killed off all my guys because a storm rolled through and the power flickered, so I ended my game, so I can stop the recording. The power flickered when the video was encoding its final bits, I practically had a heart attack.

Shortly after ending my game, the storm passed completely, with a nice troll face on it I'm sure. :)

Edited by keilbaca

But why does the level reset kill so many of your guys?

And the streaming service you were using doesn't automatically record the stream for later? That would be a useful feature to have.

I noticed that the strategy for 2600 Berzerk is very different than for the 5200. You shoot diagonal a lot, but on the 5200 you have to avoid doing that or you'll get killed most assuredly. (Or maybe you're just really good?)

You have to try Frenzy on ColecoVision sometime.

But why does the level reset kill so many of your guys?

And the streaming service you were using doesn't automatically record the stream for later? That would be a useful feature to have.

I noticed that the strategy for 2600 Berzerk is very different than for the 5200. You shoot diagonal a lot, but on the 5200 you have to avoid doing that or you'll get killed most assuredly. (Or maybe you're just really good?)

You have to try Frenzy on ColecoVision sometime.

The robots don't shoot diagonal on the 2600 version.

I kill all my guys at the level reset, so I don't earn too many guys and glitch the game. When the levels reset, its a nice reminder to do so, so I just use that as a landmark.

I will only try it if I have a 2600 stick, I can't stand the colecovision controller. Its why I don't have one hooked up, and only played one for only 10 min or so.

There must be a way to do that, ask in the ColecoVision forum. There's a user on here named Yurkie that also sells modded CV controllers, and someone posted an arcade-style controller as well.

You *may* be able to just select the game difficulty on the CV controller's keypad and then swap in the 2600 contoller. Not sure. You'd probably have to swap back to press * or # to restart or level select again after you lose all your men.

Edited by BillyHW
  • Like 1

If I ever got my hands on a colecovision again, and some games, I'd consider getting a controller for the thing by Yurkie. He makes some impressive stuff :)

I plan on eventually making a joystick that has a universal pinout, then I make boxes of each controller that I want to use the console with. For example, say, a 25 pin parallel port coming out and make each box have a female 25 pin, then inside of the box is the hacking of the controller, then out of the box is the cable for the controller. I can always make a colecovision box. :)