IGNORED

Atari Book - Countdown clock has started

Hi Stephen,

Sorry, I know exactly what your saying in these regards, but its the way the physical logistics are going to work out and getting things moving, I know its kind of like the cart before the horse sort of thing and then you add to it, the kickstarter people who were THE first will end up being the last because of having to get books in, myself autographing them, packing them up, shipping them to Marty, him autographing them and then packing them into the mailers and sending them all out, due to me being in NY and him being in WI it makes things very difficult.

Curt

It's OK - I am not upset about it, just terribly impatient to dig in and start reading :)

yeah, I don't get that either. Otherwise, what was the point of ordering this months ago? :(

Agreed.

If I would have known that pre-orders shipped a week plus after it was available for general purchase, I would have just bought it when it was ready to ship. I wouldn't have layed out the money up front only to have to wait again when there are people who order it at release are getting their copy right away. Can we at least get the Kindle version free since the pre-orders are delayed?

• Like 1

Great review - who the heck reads an 800 page book in a single day though? I must be the world's slowest reader.

I have an internal narration voice inside my head that I actually hear the words as if someone were speaking it to me while I read. I've tried to accelerate my read speed in the past, but I can't process the information visually like other people do. I also need a completely silent reading environment in order to process printed text. Otherwise, anything that sounds remotely like human voice will completely mask what I'm trying to read and my eyes will just glance over the words while my brain processes the background noise instead. It used to be a real problem for me when I tried to study in the student dorms. It's part of my adult ADHD. I used to have a personal fan that was very powerful, that I blew on my face for white noise to mask background conversations. A tape deck with nothing in it and the volume turned all the way up also helps. However there's a plus side to slow reading: I believe slow readers actually retain more of the information they read than fast readers do. It ruined my score on timed standardized testing though.
  • Like 1

Amazon says the books will be in there system in 5-7 days and I'll be able to email people who preordered as I receive ship updates so I'll try to keep everyone apprised as things start moving.

Curt, having never pre-ordered and paid for anything on Amazon before, I wonder if you know anything about their process or the reasons for this policy of theirs. Basicaly, my questions are:

1) Why are they waiting a week to ship pre-orders and yet people who order the day it came out getting their copies allready?

2) What was the point of pre-ordering and waiting all these months without any bonuses or special features or anything?

3) Is Amazon actually shipping the book to us or is you?

4) Will we get a e-mail when the book actually does ship?

I'm willing to be patient, but it's frustrating knowing that that people have their books allready (which I VERY much want to read!) cause they waited until the book was released, comapred to myself and others who pre-ordered months ago just sitting on our hands waiting. Not puttinb blame on you or Marty, but that should be reveresed. :ponder:

Edited by SoulBlazer

Besides, don't most publishers usually ship out a few advance copies of books ahead of the official release date, for critics to review, people who contributed to the project, friends and family of the author, etc...

Kinda like how most movies often have sometimes well publicized private screenings ahead of the theatrical release. Famous critics like Ebert generally don't have to attend midnight launches or see the movie in a crowded theater in order to get their reviews out as early as possible. They get a private screening well before 99.999% of fans have had an opportunity to see it.

Amazon has a bad track record of preorders anyway. I preordered Mario Galaxy at Amazon. Not only did I not get the promotional coin I was initially promised, but they didn't even ship my game until over a week after Game Stop had it in stock. I would have cancelled and picked it up the game in store, but Amazon wouldn't let me cancel my order because it was "being prepared for shipment." I finally recieved it a full 12 days after other gamers had been enjoying it. I never preordered games at Amazon again, but I have still used it for books from time to time. But please bear in mind the Atari book was never available for preorder on the official Amazon site, but we placed our orders directly from the publisher instead, through Amazon Payments.

Edited by stardust4ever

I don't know, it may be that this is something from their fulfillment end, I know that for example on Amazon itself, its lighten fast shipping, but from our createspace store its like 10-12 day shipping, so it seems like we get treated like second class citizens for our orders, you don't even want to know the timeframe for us to order our own copies of the books, we get a good discount, the shipping is ridiculously slow, if you try to select faster shipping the shipping cost doubles and even quadriples... we make significantly less royalties when an amazon purchase is made over a createspace purchase, so its pretty obvious amazon has its own priorities.