IGNORED

Degz - new game released for Jaguar

sh3-rg

As promised, our new little side-scrolling shmup is released today at Sommarhack party in Sweden. They'll be far too busy BBQing anything they can lay their hands on to play the few Jaguars hidden among all those expanded ct6x falcons so we though we'd better make a post here and offer it for download.

Head over to the new Reboot website for further details and downloads in all formats. There are also two different DVD covers and accompanying CD labels to grab, courtesy of Felyx - thanks to him!

Massive thanks to Pac Man Plus whose discussions & assets helped get this game off the ground in the first place and whose 7800 game inspired our own - cheers, Bob!

Are you ready to button bash like it's 1981?! :lol:

ps Don't feel too upset if this old classic isn't your cup of tea... we have something else in the pipeline that is much, much, bigger, better, harder, faster, stronger... our work is never over

• Like 15

Yay! The official release thread :D. Love the new look reboot site. My only suggestion would be to list your games newest first down to the oldest last. It would make a bit more sense that way (well to me at least).

Good thinking, changed.

• Like 1

Yep, my turn to write some words here....

As sh3 has previously written (elsewhere) - Degz was written as a side project. It was intended as a bit of fun for me whilst we were working away on something else. While it isn't a technical showcase, it does make use of most of the functions of the RAPTOR toolset, and as such was invaluable in furthering the development of RAPTOR and ironing out some things.

[EDIT] Full source code and assets will be released alongside the RAPTOR library in the future.

I have to say a big thank you to PMP 7800 - He not only supplied the original files and assets for his version, but also explained how the actual map data is encoded. From this came the map displayer, and from that came the game.

A major thank you to Shamus and the VirtualJaguar team - This entire game was written using VirtualJaguar as my real hardware is all boxed up for a house move. This, to me, marks a huge leap forward in Jaguar emulation. In my opinion, it has not been practical to write projects for the Jaguar reliably under emulation until now. Well done Shamus!!

Linkovitch - Sound Engine sounds amazing! And it's so simple to integrate. Excellent job!

Felyx - Very nice artwork for the covers, thank you for doing this for us.

And everyone else, as sh3 said above - GO MASH BUTTONS LIKE IT'S 1981!!!!!!!!!

• Like 11

Just noticed the lego box artwork :lolblue: Fantastic! MOAR!

This guy made the original artwork, Felyx asked him for permission to use it. Really nice work, maybe we should release a build with the original arcade graphics ;-)

Edited by sh3-rg

This guy made the original artwork, Felyx asked him for permission to use it. Really nice work, maybe we should release a build with the original arcade graphics ;-)

:cool: Good stuff! I've always liked voxels. Given the choice I'd go for the voxel version as depicted in the artwork and not the original arcade graphics.

I've been palying Degz and I think it's my favorite Reboot game yet! (I'll have to go back and play the others agian to make sure)

I understand the classic arcade feel of the button mashing, but my 43 year old fingers just can't last for long, I have to pause about every three minutes. it would be nice if there was a continual fire option for us old guys. I've only made it to level 3 so far, then my wrists and fingers are just too tired and I die quickly.

Anyway, thanks for another free contribution to the Jag community. I really appreciate it, expecially on my current non-existant budget.

I'm glad there are some developers for the Jag that actually release stuff regularly for the Jag, even if it's simple games. I respect that a LOT more than some developers who release one game in limited quantities for lots of money (not that the games aren't good or worth it, they are) and then ride on that for years and years and bitch and moan at everyone else about "inferior quality" games. there's nothing wrong with lots of "mini-games" (what I call games that simple arcade classics or puzzle games) on the Jag. Of course now that I've said that in public, I'll probably get black listed by them. :-o

Edited by Gunstar
  • Like 9

I must say, I am digging the CRY effects and the fluid animations :D

I especially love this comment, because the game is in RGB mode. I assume you mean the particle effects?

Thank you guys for bring another arcade classic to jag. So are we going to see any other of Pac Man Plus game on the jag? FailSafe, Pac-Man Collection, Moon Cresta, Rip-Off, Meteor Shower, and Super Circus Atari Age would all make great additions to the jag library.

Never say never, but we have no plans at present to do any of those. Bob has already done them justice, anyway!

I understand the classic arcade feel of the button mashing, but my 43 year old fingers just can't last for long, I have to pause about every three minutes. it would be nice if there was a continual fire option for us old guys.

It was originally auto-fire, the guys convinced me to take it out because it was too easy!

• Like 1

I must say, I am digging the CRY effects and the fluid animations :D

I especially love this comment, because the game is in RGB mode. I assume you mean the particle effects?

Thank you guys for bring another arcade classic to jag. So are we going to see any other of Pac Man Plus game on the jag? FailSafe, Pac-Man Collection, Moon Cresta, Rip-Off, Meteor Shower, and Super Circus Atari Age would all make great additions to the jag library.

Never say never, but we have no plans at present to do any of those. Bob has already done them justice, anyway!

I understand the classic arcade feel of the button mashing, but my 43 year old fingers just can't last for long, I have to pause about every three minutes. it would be nice if there was a continual fire option for us old guys.

It was originally auto-fire, the guys convinced me to take it out because it was too easy!

Whatever you pulled off for the background fading/lighting. Superb :)

it would be nice if there was a continual fire option for us old guys.

We're all old and suffer the same way, I think CJ can be convinced to put autofire back in and put a version up in this thread. At least then the player can concentrate on navigating those tunnels with the jaguar d-pad :lol:

I have to admit, when I play it in VJ, I use Joy2Key for my usb pad & have B set to auto-fire ;-)

Whatever you pulled off for the background fading/lighting. Superb :)

Yeah, for some reason that looks better than it really should for what it is It's a looped animation, same kind of thing as the HMSR background (but just 16 colours here, not 16 bit). I think it's the twinkling particle stars over the top that bring it to life a bit. Cheers.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 1

A little Atari-Age exclusive for all you old timers ;-)

Degz autofire version!

(Not tested on real hardware, and done in under 2 mins, so gimme a break if it doesn't work!)

I had to swear at him and be sworn back at to make this happen, I know how to Push. His. Button. (erm, not in a weird way :lol: )

• Like 3

Degz autofire version!

(Not tested on real hardware, and done in under 2 mins, so gimme a break if it doesn't work!)

I had to swear at him and be sworn back at to make this happen, I know how to Push. His. Button. (erm, not in a weird way :lol: )

TWO SEMICOLONS!! I had to type TWO SEMICOLONS. Do you know how much effort that was?????

• Like 8

Degz autofire version!

Has the CD version been updated too?

No, and it won't be - make your own! :)

No, and it won't be - make your own! :)

See what we have to put up with? :lol:

Use JiFFI to turn the .abs into a CD image, there's a guide on the site in the features section. The file would be too big to add here and we don't want to over-complicate the downloads for Degz.

Edited by sh3-rg
  • Like 2