IGNORED

Any flash cart interest

gameofyou

2. Receive developers (and bacon)

push-button-receive-bacon.png

That said, given the speeds I got from reading and writing to a USB stick from my Falcon (in 060 mode, 030 is laughable) I don't think reading from USB drive on Jaguar sounds that promising :). (of course the usb code used was a reference library, really not optimised for anything slower than pentiums)

• Like 3

Does speed matter that much for transferring 4Mb (plus a little filesystem overhead)?

If you're talking about a couple of k/s throughput (which is what you got on a stock Falcon030), then yes.

Anyway, again I must stress that the mint driver is a really generic one and is not made to squeeze out maximum performance in transfers, just to function. I had a few conversations with its author since I was betatesting it for him and we were discussing about stripping everything down to a bare minimum so a usb drive/flash/etc driver could be made in assembly for the crucial parts (the whole thing was in C as far as I recall) so more speed could be achieved, but we kind of lost touch and this idea was more or less scrapped.

Edited by ggn
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I bought a skunkboard thinking that some day I'd buy a Jaguar... but between the high cost of buying a Jaguar compared to other systems of the era and the fact that the skunkboard has to be hooked up to a computer to change out the games and well... I decided to sell off the Skunkboard and use the money toward a roadtrip I'm planning... (It's gone now, so don't ask me)

If someone releases a flash cartridge that loads games off of CF, SD, or some other flash media independent of a computer, I'd find myself seriously reconsidering my decision not to actively pursue buying a Jaguar to add to my countless game systems. I'm lazy and I'd find myself never playing the Jaguar when so many of my other systems already have such cartridges ready to go otherwise.

I am wondering if there is any interest in a low-cost flash cartridge for the Jaguar. I have read about a product called the Skunkboard. Is this product still produced? If not, then maybe there would be some demand for a flash cart?

I bought the Saturn USB datalink years ago, and plan on purchasing the PC Engine flash cartridge. I just saw it last night on "The NEC Console Community Forums". I would also be interested in purchasing a Jaguar one.

I bought a skunkboard thinking that some day I'd buy a Jaguar... but between the high cost of buying a Jaguar compared to other systems of the era and the fact that the skunkboard has to be hooked up to a computer to change out the games and well... I decided to sell off the Skunkboard and use the money toward a roadtrip I'm planning... (It's gone now, so don't ask me)

If someone releases a flash cartridge that loads games off of CF, SD, or some other flash media independent of a computer, I'd find myself seriously reconsidering my decision not to actively pursue buying a Jaguar to add to my countless game systems. I'm lazy and I'd find myself never playing the Jaguar when so many of my other systems already have such cartridges ready to go otherwise.

^^^^^ This! (exactly!!!!)

Only recently bought a Jag, and yes, a more convenient flashcart would be amazing. Skunkboard is expensive, one sold on ebay not too long ago for $235, and looking at BJL modding to use a reprogrammable cart, seems like a whole lot of hassle. Plus, I don't want to risk accidentally breaking the console by having to mod it.

Skunkboard is expensive, one sold on ebay not too long ago for $235

I wish I could understand how this happens. I recently sold 4 Skunkboards, two nicely installed in shells with labels and all, and I couldn't even get the $85 they go for new. Obviously I suck at marketing. ;)

I had to sell a lot of video games and systems for money before I found my job in order to get myself moved and have sufficient food and transportation. Included in these sales was a complete in box Jaguar system and most of the games I had for it. At this point, I don't think I will buy another Jaguar until someone makes a flash cart, or until I have a ton of extra cash to go buy whatever I sold and liked again. I do still have my boxed Jaguar CD so there might be enough reason to get one again someday. I just want a flash cart first.

I wish I could understand how this happens. I recently sold 4 Skunkboards, two nicely installed in shells with labels and all, and I couldn't even get the $85 they go for new. Obviously I suck at marketing. ;)

Well, for starters you have to make sure you have "RARE!" and "L@@K!!" in your auction titles. ;)

• Like 6

Perhaps it was modified to break certain blocks on it in addition to those other niceties... or it just got two crazy people in a bidding war... Personally I posted my bare unused one here on the AA marketplace for $88.88 and it took a couple days for someone to contact me about it.

Perhaps it was modified to break certain blocks on it in addition to those other niceties...

More likely the others, despite all the bravado I've never seen any evidence that anyone has reflashed their Skunkboard BIOS with a replacement that doesn't block the only game it blocks. I'd love to know someone was actually that skilled.

Besides, someone contacted me not long ago about buying a /dead/ Skunkboard on EBay for more than I got for any of the four working ones -- that was what inspired me to put them out there. :) They were my spares from the various runs.

Just poor marketing, I guess. I should have made a bigger noise about them. No matter. This thread proves there is still plenty of demand. Time for someone else to step up. :)

Bypassing the "run prevention" code in the Skunkboard for the two games that it keeps from running (BS & BSG) is fairly trivial. The punch line is that even once you flash BSG into your Skunkboard using such a bypass method, it still won't work--so all the effort that went into the "run prevention" was all for naught. :P

I'd love to be able to replace the Skunkboard BIOS with something else, however, it seems that I'll never get that chance because of stupid politics. :(

Well, I have completed phase 1, which is to buy a Jaguar. :)

I was able to find a good deal on one at Amazon. It came with two controllers, two games, Power cable, RF video cable, S-video cable (which wasn't even in the description!). All for $74 shipped.

Unfortunately, I've been so busy assembling Flash HuCards that I haven't been able to put much time into a Jaguar card. I've mostly just done information collecting so far. I expect the HuCard sales to die down soon, & then I will take a look at a Jaguar project.

Most likely I will start with a simple design and get it working (similar to Skunk Board). If I can get that working, I may move on to a more advanced/expensive design (SD card, maybe).

• Like 4