IGNORED

A New, $99 Console Called Ouya Is Real and Radically Different...

Animan

A New, $99 Console Called Ouya Is Real and Radically Different From Xbox, PlayStation and Wii

EDIT: Better link: http://www.theverge.com/2012/7/2/3134004/ouya-a-99-hackable-android-game-console-designed-by-yves-behar

Note: Ed Fries (developer of Halo 2600) is one the people involved with the project.

Edited by Animan
  • Like 1

Regardless, it looks interesting. And the inclusion of a dev kit with every system has me, as an indie developer, somewhat excited.

Oh, and Yves Behar's design look awesome. Makes it stand out from other systems like this (in other words, this one doesn't look stupid).

I'm trying to be thrilled but it's not working. Any controller info?

My last 2 open source gaming devices didn't turn out well. Almost all of the games were weird or broken in some way. Only emulators got any attention, and I hate those.

I don't pay money to putter around and DIY, I pay money to play awesome games. Maybe some games would change my mind, but 'hostile' is going to be my attitude toward it with all of the information I have right now (open source, cell phone os)

Edited by Reaperman

YES, yes it does ! :D

http://bluestacks.com/

Ya, but does it run existing Android games? If it doesn't play Angry Turds then it doesn't have much leverage.

It is hit or miss but I have been surprised on how well it does run several titles actually.

And they are already ready with a Bluestacks app for Windows 8! I run it great on my Windows 7 PC, look into it

and you will be impressed.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vqdDwDIdol8

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

YES, yes it does ! :D

http://bluestacks.com/

Ya, but does it run existing Android games? If it doesn't play Angry Turds then it doesn't have much leverage.

It is hit or miss but I have been surprised on how well it does run several titles actually.

We talkin' about BlueStacks or the Ouya? BlueStacks didn't emulate an ARM processor (when I last looked) so most .ipks I threw at it failed.

Edited by theloon

We talkin' about BlueStacks or the Ouya? BlueStacks didn't emulate an ARM processor (when I last looked) so most .ipks I threw at it failed.

I was talking about Bluestacks, see the video I added above, looks like the upcoming Windows 8 app will be even better.

Anyway sorry for the off - topic posts, carry on.

Oh, and Yves Behar's design look awesome. Makes it stand out from other systems like this (in other words, this one doesn't look stupid).

Looks like a G4 Cube to me. Not saying that's bad... just saying.

CRI_66906.jpg

Edited by Rex Dart

If it fits my usually console criterion ( at least 5 must-have games per console), I would get one.

Yep, that's my policy too. Although, I did break it three times with the Game Gear, PSP, and 3DS, regrettably. The Game Gear was a dollar at a yard sale so that one didn't hurt so much. But I digress.

As long as their advertisement doesn't go something like "Boo-ya! It's the Ouya!" I'll keep an eye on this one.

If it fits my usually console criterion ( at least 5 must-have games per console), I would get one.

Yep, that's my policy too. Although, I did break it three times with the Game Gear, PSP, and 3DS, regrettably. The Game Gear was a dollar at a yard sale so that one didn't hurt so much. But I digress.

As long as their advertisement doesn't go something like "Boo-ya! It's the Ouya!" I'll keep an eye on this one.

really, no must have's for the GG? - the master gear alone makes it more than worth it. have you played shinobi 2?

"buy an Ouya so Nintendo don't screw ya"

Edited by raskar42
  • Like 2

I'm trying to be thrilled but it's not working. Any controller info?

My last 2 open source gaming devices didn't turn out well. Almost all of the games were weird or broken in some way. Only emulators got any attention, and I hate those.

I don't pay money to putter around and DIY, I pay money to play awesome games. Maybe some games would change my mind, but 'hostile' is going to be my attitude toward it with all of the information I have right now (open source, cell phone os)

Well, there might be some games developed by yours truly.

Does that help? :P

Edited by Animan
  • Like 1

There's a few things they'll need to get right... the controllers, the OS skin, the market experience. If all of these show a cohesive vision, like the better proprietary consoles do, then I'm in.

What I dread is a half-hearted attempt, like the cheap android TV boxes from China. Using a near-stock android OS without touch/mouse is painful.

really, no must have's for the GG? - the master gear alone makes it more than worth it. have you played shinobi 2?

I have the master gear converter but the GG screen is so blurry that'd I'd rather play the games on my power base converter. I haven't played Shinobi 2, not even sure I've heard of it! I'll keep an eye out for it. I have Streets of Rage 2 for the GG but I'd prefer to just play it on my Genesis.

Here's some more info on the system: http://kotaku.com/59...0-of-your-money

There's also a Kickstarter page: http://www.kickstart...eo-game-console

I'm refreshing the page every minute, and each time I do there's another roughly $2,000 that's pledged.

Kind of pointless for me since I have a PC hooked up to the TV but for 99 bucks this is very cool.

It's insane how fast the pledges are coming in.

Cheaper gaming is king. Console publishers need to FEAR!

:P

Edited by cimerians