IGNORED

Opinions of the TurboGrafx 16?

I got a call today from my favorite GoodWill. Sounds like I may have a chance to get a TurboGrafx console. Don't know for how much, or what it will come with, but I imagine $15 for just the console, and no more than $30 for a good package. This was not a console I ever really thought about having in my collection, but after looking at some YT videos, it really looks like an interesting one. Something between an SMS and a Genesis, but with lots o' colors.

What are your opinions of the system? What should I look out for? What do you think they're worth?

Get it and thank me later.

The T16 is a great collector's and gamer's console! It has some of the best shmups, platformers, and action titles of the era. The controllers are solid, the cards are unique, and the colors really do pop on a good tv.

Get:

Blazing Lasers

Bonk

Legendary Axe

Pac Land

Super Star Soldier

Alien Crush

and have a blast!

You don't really hit money until you start investing in the cd drive and some of those accessories.

• Like 3

I don't know what they are selling for right now but I feel like you would be doing good to get the console for $15. Surely they haven't fallen that much. I love mine, and I'm always on the lookout for new games for it. If you like SCHMUPS you will love this system without a question. In short, get it.

Oh get one. It's worth the full cost of admission for the ability to play Galaga '90 alone, and if the price is anywhere near where you're talking it's a bargain.

That said, this certainly isn't my favorite system, and I don't feel it's even in my 'top half' of systems. I dislike most of the games, and I hate the way NEC nickel and dimed customers with silly accessories that provided basic functionality that its competitors generally provided built-in. (These accessories are now all rare and expensive) I'm actually on a turbografx kick at the moment, but I've delivered about as much positivity as I have related to it.

Edited by Reaperman

Something to keep in mind is that the PC Engine library is much larger than the US TG-16 library. Getting a flash cart will open up the floodgates for boatloads of excellent titles that didn't see the light of day over here. PC Engine arcade ports like Kyukyoku Tiger (aka Twin Cobra) are downright awesome!

I had no idea there was an everdrive! Of course now it says sold out. �� Anyone know when they'll have more? I just checked stoneagegamer. Anywhere else I should look?

You can get from Retrogate back order, it's pretty much a one man show, more will come just have to wait until Krikzz can crank out some more!

http://shop.retrogat...ve-TURBO-ED.htm

Fortunately I got my PreOrer in with StonageGamer whew!

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer

which handheld, if any, best handles TG16 roms. i really don't want to pay $5 a game for iphone ports with touch controls.

A Turbo Express. :)

+1000!

The TurboExpress is truly a fantastic handheld. Like the Game Gear, you'll want to make sure to either replace the caps or get a refurbished unit. I lucked out with a refurb unit on eBay for an absolute steal. It's a very impressive system.

If you'd rather get a handheld which can emulate a number of different systems, I'd personally recommend the GPH Caanoo. The only downside (for me) is that no one has ported a Lynx emulator to the console. Other than that, all the main systems are covered very well, including the TG16/PCE.

If you have a jailbroken iOS device, PCE.emu is really fantastic, as are all the .emu series (NEO.emu has weird problems though). I was playing Bloody Wolf on my iPad this morning.

I wonder if the turbo express can get a screen mod similar to the nomad mods. Since the games are so much more portable compared to genesis titles, it might be worthwhile to try.

...I just don't want to be the first one to screw up his turbo express. They're expensive to replace.

I wonder if the turbo express can get a screen mod similar to the nomad mods. Since the games are so much more portable compared to genesis titles, it might be worthwhile to try.

...I just don't want to be the first one to screw up his turbo express. They're expensive to replace.

I'll have one coming up for sale in a couple of weeks. It needs a cap job though as it only gets sound through the headphones at the moment. I bought it new from TZD and only used a few times.

I actually really like the screen on the Express. It's my favourite screen between the early backlit portables (Game Gear, Lynx, Nomad). You could argue that text isn't rendered well. Other than that, it's a sharp picture with really nice colour and none of the blur that affects other handhelds.

• Like 1