IGNORED

Opinions of the TurboGrafx 16?

Turbo fan here. Yeah, it's worth it and you got good deal. I never was much of a Splatterhouse fan. I rented it "back in the day" but didn't enjoy it. There are lots of really good titles available for the system and several have been listed already. Congrats and happy gaming!

Turbo Express is not the only portable system. There's also PCE LT with larger screen but good luck finding one for under $1000

You'd be better off getting a Corefgrafx (very tiny system), hack in region mods and LCD display to make portable game system.

Edited by Uzumaki

I can remember our local grocery store having a TurboGrafx 16 advertising kiosk by thier video section. I watched those commercials on that screen several times! Parents would never buy me one though. I remember trying to find a system years ago, but I have never found one intact in the wild around here. Sometimes I'll find a beat up base, but no conntrollers, connectors, or games. Looked like a good system and I'd play one if I could find one intact!

Turbo Express is not the only portable system. There's also PCE LT with larger screen but good luck finding one for under $1000

You'd be better off getting a Corefgrafx (very tiny system), hack in region mods and LCD display to make portable game system.

yes but that is a Japanese console. We're talking strictly Turbo Grafx-16, aren't we?

If it's the plain TG-16, then one will need more than just an s-video/rgb mod. Region mod will be needed to play import HuCards, and an adapter will have to be made to adapt the PC Engine's multitap to a Turbo's controller port (which will be useful, as Street Fighter II Champion Edition really needs that 6-button pad).

If it's the plain TG-16, then one will need more than just an s-video/rgb mod. Region mod will be needed to play import HuCards, and an adapter will have to be made to adapt the PC Engine's multitap to a Turbo's controller port (which will be useful, as Street Fighter II Champion Edition really needs that 6-button pad).

Quite right. SFII really needs a 6-button pad to play, and unlike the SNES, the stock TG-16 controller isn't adequate for the task. However, by purchasing a PC Engine multi-tap at additional expense, and taking the time to mod it for the Turbo's port, as well as purchasing 2 additional 6-button import controllers at additional expense, it is possible to get a decent game of SFII:CE up and running on the Turbo, if you can live with the irony of not having Turbo speed or Turbo moves on the Turbo machine.

yes but that is a Japanese console. We're talking strictly Turbo Grafx-16, aren't we?

Real easy to hack any Japanese console to play USA games. An 8pDT switch can be found from electronic supplier for under $10 or you can use a bunch of SPST or DPST switch, just be sure all are in the same position. If you suck at soldering iron, ask someone at PCEngineFX forum, quite a few there can do excellent mod for a reasonable fee. Far cheaper than a $100+ adapter on scamBay.

Of course you'd be foolish to try and hack an LT console, a CoreGrafx + LCD is cheaper and more common.

Quite right. SFII really needs a 6-button pad to play, and unlike the SNES, the stock TG-16 controller isn't adequate for the task. However, by purchasing a PC Engine multi-tap at additional expense, and taking the time to mod it for the Turbo's port, as well as purchasing 2 additional 6-button import controllers at additional expense, it is possible to get a decent game of SFII:CE up and running on the Turbo, if you can live with the irony of not having Turbo speed or Turbo moves on the Turbo machine.

There are official controller adapter that lets one use Duo or PCE controller on TG-16 port. If you can find source of DIN-8 male and mini DIN-8 female, you can make one as well.

Tip: old serial extension cable for pre-USB era Macintosh will work fine as TurboDuo/PCE controller extension! Us TG-16 users got the shaft with hard to find DIN-8 cable :P

Edited by Uzumaki

Real easy to hack any Japanese console to play USA games. An 8pDT switch can be found from electronic supplier for under $10 or you can use a bunch of SPST or DPST switch, just be sure all are in the same position.

Yeah, I know, but still, this is the Turbo Grafx-16 opinions thread here, so I thought we were talking strictly Turbob and didn't need to bring the Japanese stuff into the conversation. The LT is basically overkill and only for collectors anyway.

If you suck at soldering iron, ask someone at PCEngineFX forum, quite a few there can do excellent mod for a reasonable fee. Far cheaper than a $100+ adapter on scamBay.

I have over 8000 posts there. I know. lol

Adapters are so 2001. Screw that crap. You're better off importing a Duo-R if you like throwing $$ around. I got a CIB one for like 60$ + shipping.

Real easy to hack any Japanese console to play USA games. An 8pDT switch can be found from electronic supplier for under $10 or you can use a bunch of SPST or DPST switch, just be sure all are in the same position. If you suck at soldering iron, ask someone at PCEngineFX forum, quite a few there can do excellent mod for a reasonable fee. Far cheaper than a $100+ adapter on scamBay.

Or a couple multiplexer chips & a single SPST. I've been meaning to do a few mods to my TG16, and that's one of 'em.

Or a couple multiplexer chips & a single SPST. I've been meaning to do a few mods to my TG16, and that's one of 'em.

Yes there are post on this, but a few have reported problem with it. It's hard to tell if the problem lies with chip quality, incorrect or incompatible chip, or soldering issue but it's more challenging and more work to make multiplexer than a single 8pdt switch.

Back tot he topic, I'd get Turbo Everdrive since it'd be one time investment of about $70 for just about any non CD games. Some of the good TG-16 games don't come cheap such as Dragon's Curse or Devil Crush. A top 5 best English HuCard probably costs more than $70 on eBay

Honestly, the cheapest way to get into the bulk of the TG library is to get a cheap Duo-R and an Turbo Everdrive. If you want to go full US, then get a US Duo, but that will set you back a bit. The Turbo Everdrive can apparently be used as a CD Bios card, so you could actually get a US Turbo and a CD attachment, but I think those together might run more than a Duo, I haven't looked at prices in a while.

...but a few have reported problem with it. It's hard to tell if the problem lies with chip quality, incorrect or incompatible chip, or soldering issue...

Ohhh I'd bet you it's the soldering job. That's a tricky procedure no matter which way you go about it.

• 3 months later...

Hi there

I am Yan of Yancade hand built games machines, I personally love the Turbo Grafx 16 and this is my latest creation and possibly the world first Turbo Grafx 16 arcade machine, Ill link the youtube video of it soon.

Let me know what you think.

Thanks

Yan

post-33164-0-10336400-1353067741_thumb.jpg

• Like 1