IGNORED

Atari Ethernet Cartridge -Accepting Orders

puppetmark

I am still planning on releasing some demonstration source code and a few finished utilities, written in CC65 outside of the Contiki framework, although it's likely that these will be delayed until sometime this fall. My aim is to implement a very lean UDP-stack driver and build things like game communications and some kind of FTP-like transfer program.

Design suggestion for second edition: mount the Dragon board on the underside of the cartridge PCB (but still right side up), with the Ethernet connector then sticking up through a square cut-out in the edge of the PCB above it. This would stop the connector having to poke out through the top of the cartridge casing... thus it would fit a 1200XL.

It's still lovely as it is, though. :)

Good thought, , but the cs8900 would probably overheat if there is not enough "open space" around it. It generates a lot of heat.

Hello guys

How hard would it be to put everything on one, professionally made, PCB?

That is what I am looking into for the second run actually. I would have to totally redesign the board which I am willing to do. All the components would have to be surface mount devices because anything through-hole would have to be hand soldered and that would make such a small run too expensive. Also, I can probably make a single board device fit into a standard cart shell except for the RJ45 port, which would also make assembly much easier. I have to make some calls and try to get an estimate for such a board assembly before I do any engineering. I know it's possible, but I am concerned about the cost. I want to keep the cost of the cart under $50.00 if at all possible.

Received the 2nd cart today :)

Thanks again Mark for making this :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jay

You are very welcome. Thanks for posting the pics. It's really cool to see them out in the world and being used!

Edited by puppetmark

Here's a pic showing the webbrowser

And two connected to Marius' BBS on telnet.

Thanks for posting those. The BBS pics are totally awesome. Getting on a real Atari BBS with a real Atari (again!) totally justifies this device alone. Everything else is just a wonderful bonus!

Design suggestion for second edition: mount the Dragon board on the underside of the cartridge PCB (but still right side up), with the Ethernet connector then sticking up through a square cut-out in the edge of the PCB above it. This would stop the connector having to poke out through the top of the cartridge casing... thus it would fit a 1200XL.

It's still lovely as it is, though. :)

Good thought, , but the cs8900 would probably overheat if there is not enough "open space" around it. It generates a lot of heat.

Hello guys

How hard would it be to put everything on one, professionally made, PCB?

That is what I am looking into for the second run actually. I would have to totally redesign the board which I am willing to do. All the components would have to be surface mount devices because anything through-hole would have to be hand soldered and that would make such a small run too expensive. Also, I can probably make a single board device fit into a standard cart shell except for the RJ45 port, which would also make assembly much easier. I have to make some calls and try to get an estimate for such a board assembly before I do any engineering. I know it's possible, but I am concerned about the cost. I want to keep the cost of the cart under $50.00 if at all possible.

Received the 2nd cart today :)

Thanks again Mark for making this :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Jay

You are very welcome. Thanks for posting the pics. It's really cool to see them out in the world and being used!

Are there any more for sale?

Frank

Is there a diagnostic utility which tests the cartridge? I've the following issue:

I'm trying to connect to my router through an SMCWEBT-G access point. I know it works well, because my PC can connect through it (when "obtain ip address automatically" is checked)

But when I try to run the DHCP on the ATARI, it says "Requesting ..." forever. I see the leds on the network connector blinking but thats all. I can only quit if I press the reset button.

If I set the IP settings manually, when I press the "Save and Exit", it does something with the disk, the screen becomes black and the computer locks up.

I use the contiki.atr posted in this thread.

I use aspeqt to mount this image on my laptop.

My atari has the "32in1" OS upgrade, the OS is set to the standard XL os rev. C.

I also has a 512Kb memory upgrade.

I haven't tried to connect to the router directly, the devices are rather far away from each other, I have to get an UTP cable long enough.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Jozsi

ethernet-cart-b.jpg

yeasterday arrived, but i test it today (so drunk yeasterday:D )

works fine, but atari attached here doesnt work with sio2sd v3 latest RC and q-meg, or without q-meg :/ - cant boot..

thanks for cart! this is history making :)

Edited by w1k

Is there a diagnostic utility which tests the cartridge? I've the following issue:

I'm trying to connect to my router through an SMCWEBT-G access point. I know it works well, because my PC can connect through it (when "obtain ip address automatically" is checked)

But when I try to run the DHCP on the ATARI, it says "Requesting ..." forever. I see the leds on the network connector blinking but thats all. I can only quit if I press the reset button.

If I set the IP settings manually, when I press the "Save and Exit", it does something with the disk, the screen becomes black and the computer locks up.

My atari has the "32in1" OS upgrade, the OS is set to the standard XL os rev. C.

I haven't tried to connect to the router directly, the devices are rather far away from each other, I have to get an UTP cable long enough.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Jozsi

Jozsi,

You should be able to get a DHCP address from your access point. I connect my cart to a switch which is connected to my router and it works just fine. That extra hop should not matter.

However, I would Try it directly from your router to see what happens and also try these two things:

1. Open the Cart and make sure all the dip switches are pushed to the ON position. That sets the cart to $D500 which is the default position.

2. reseat the two logic chips (HCT138N and HCT85N)

If that doesn't work, let me know. I have a couple of carts I am keeping for engineering / testing reasons and we can exchange it and then I'll repair yours.

Any help is appreciated.

Cheers,

Jozsi

In your Router Settings, do you have an option to *Enable* a DHCP Server?

That might be that all is needed?

Jay

Jozsi,

You should be able to get a DHCP address from your access point. I connect my cart to a switch which is connected to my router and it works just fine. That extra hop should not matter.

However, I would Try it directly from your router to see what happens and also try these two things:

1. Open the Cart and make sure all the dip switches are pushed to the ON position. That sets the cart to $D500 which is the default position.

2. reseat the two logic chips (HCT138N and HCT85N)

If that doesn't work, let me know. I have a couple of carts I am keeping for engineering / testing reasons and we can exchange it and then I'll repair yours.

All DIP settings are checked and OK. Chips reseated. I'm still lack of an UTP cable with the appropriate length. Will check tomorrow (I can borrow one from my workplace)

In the meantime, I checked the cart with an XEGS with the very same result / behavior. Only difference from my last report, that I can quit from the DHCP application on both computers, but they don't return to the menu, instead I got a black screen.

Thanks for your help!

Cheers,

Jozsi

someone trying if email, irc, ftp, twitter works? for me not, only www, wget..

I couldn't get email or irc to work.

I was able to use twitter but sometimes the screen refresh quit working. Keep retrying until you see numbers counting down in upper right part of screen.

Web browser worked

Web server works for a while then stops serving index.htm.

Telnet worked