KarinMaxiDrive preorder

St(r)yker

KarinMaxiDrive

More about the interface itself: http://atariki.krap.....php/Karin_Maxi

plytka.JPG

a) PCB + 2 labels - 65PLN

-----------------------

kompletna.JPG

b) Complete PCB (2 labels) + diode and switch + modified ribbon cable (2x3.5") - 190PLN

(tested after assembly)

-----------------------

You can also order PCB without some of elements (if someone has got them or the price is too high) or, when you have got PCB, buy the elements separately:

- ISA socket 50PIN x 2 - 18PLN

- WD1772 02-02 - 30PLN

- EPROM - 10PLN

- PALCE16v8 - 8PLN

- ribbon cable 2x3.5" - 5PLN

-----------------------

Z-28 case (black) - 6PLN (for individual "filing, drilling, grinding and milling").

In someone wants, I can prepare the case myself, but the cost will grow of about 40PLN, and it will be done with rather "domestic" method. Well, you still have an option. :) (Before you choose, please contact me on private message)

-----------------------

The author of this PCB is zaxon... I made only some "small" improvements, according to Jer's and Trub's schematics.

The interface works. Of course its individual assembling I recommend only for guys trained in soldering.

I strongly recommend using sockets!

The PCBs will be ordered at GAMA. Thus they are not-so-expensive but may look not too proffessional, so think 10 times before ordering.

I made some pieces those PCBs (and some of SIC!'s before, too!), and there was no problems at all, but I just want to inform...

This is for those, who want to assemble it themselves.

-----------------------

About the firmware... There will instralled the one with Trub's additions. For today it exists in BETA version, but this may change shortly.

You have to wait for the full version of FAT handler for SDX (by Draco), though.

-----------------------

Of course for complete PCB I recommend purchasing also the case.

You can use the interface without casing, too, but you have to add "something" under PCB to avoid deforming or folding (when "plugging"/"unplugging" the interface).

-----------------------

For "total completion" you need some disk drive, the PSU, and the case, which you have to prepare yourself. :)

3.5" disk drives are regular 1.44 ones. In one of them you have to move the jumper (or re-solder) on DF0, in second one DF1 stays as is. When using 1.44 flopies,

cover second hole. Or, the option for more advanced guys, short drive's sensor in DD position.

In you want to use 5,25" drive instead, look for 360k or 720k one. I tested on TEAC FD-55BR(360k).

About the PSU. I used this ATX one:

zasilacz.JPG

I've cut all the unused cables and shorted two to make it start. I've also led out cable with DIN plug (for Atari and also for Amstrad :) ). So the PSU I use for

everything and it's not to big, too! :)

-----------------------

For starting the production I need at least 20 of you. :)

-----------------------

The shippping cost is about 20-40PLN (it depends what was ordered).

If you have any questions, just write them down here.

I would like one finished drive. I don't understand about the case. I'll send you a PM.

190 PLN + unfinished case + 40 PLN shipping? equals about 230 PLN + Case * ~.29 PLN/$ = roughly $70. Am I in the ball park here?

-Larry

Hello St®yker,

Very nive design.

Just now, I've checked the link you placed. Unfortunately, my polish is not good enough to understand it well enough. :?

Will there be information in English later on?

Also, I would like the complete schematics and the data for the GAL. (Jedec file at least) And of course the data for the Eprom (Flash)

Any plans for publishing the source code?

One question: Did you also consider the possibility for DD use?

It does need a floppy controller that's fast enough and switching between 8 and 16 Mhz. But that's not difficult.

Most important for this is if the Atari is fast enough to collect the data.

BR/

Guus

Hello Candle,

Thanks for the answer.

And it's just what I expected.

Of course it can be solved by using a 2nd processor and memory mapping / banking / dual-port ram.

But this would be overkill and also useless. There's little use for floppy disk anyway, since there's such good stuff as CF and SD cards.

BR/

Guus

One more information.

Karin Maxi Drive interface itself should work fine with any ECI-equipped Atari machine.

I don't guarantee that addidional devices connected to cart+ECI sockets will work correctly on every Atari.

I've tested interface on some of my Ataris and two on them had problems when IDE+ and SlightSID wre connected

through this one (SLIGHSID has some sound-problems). But ie. with SIDE everything works OK.

So, the sockets are only the addition (and their may behave randomly, and maybe it's quite easy to deal with).

Second case - the 3,5" drives.

The best should be 720k ones. You can use 1,44" drives though, and cover those "additional" holes in diskettes.

Regarding the diskettes - better use DD diskettes. You can use HD ones but there is no 100% of data-reliability.

So think twice before purchasing. The solution is fifteen or so years old already.

-----------------------------

Redarding the production. The gus at company that makes PCBs for me are on vacation now, so first PCBs I will have

about the end of September. If I gather 20 (or more) interested persons, I'll start to send PMs to everyone

of you with all the payment informations. If not - the project will probably be shelved.

AGAIN - EVERYONE INTERESTED IN PURCHASING THE ABOVE INTERFACE, PLEASE PM ME!

Greetings and sorry in something was unclear.

POLAND:

LISTA:

1) uicr0Bee - wariant B (bez WD1772 02-02) + obudowa Z-28 (bez wyciec)

2) Sniegowy - wariant B + obudowa Z-28 (bez wyciec)

3) ajcek - wariant A

4) AS.. - wariant B + obudowa Z-28 (bez wyciec)

5) Yezy - wariant A x 2 + 2 x WD1772 02-02 + 2 x PALCE16V8

WORLD:

LIST:

1) ???

Edited by St(r)yker