IGNORED

EMR II - Evil Magician Returns upgraded to DPC+!

Byte Knight

So then the bat and dragons can enter the Gold Castle in Adventure?
I believe they can. The trick is to get them moving up, since if they are moving in a downward motion they will exit the castle immediately after hitting the open portcullis.

It "may" be possible, but I was unable to get one to follow me into the castle even after much trying.

I feel we're getting off track though when we start talking about ways to trick things into doing what they're not supposed to. The original point of what I was saying is that the yellow castle is a safe zone. If you are in there, nothing will harm you or steal from you. In fact, you can use it as a sort-of pause feature to return to the game later. I did this last night to verify. I left my square hero in the castle with items while sleeping, and he was still there (with items) untouched when I awoke this morning. 8 hours of safety while a bat & dragons roam around outside is pretty conclusive. ;)

With other castles, the lines can "seem" more blurred since dragons can start out in the black or white castle, but the general rule for bats & dragons described earlier remains.

edited to add line breaks which I cannot do on my phone

Edited by KevinMos3

I've had a good time with this game. I would highly recommend it. Perhaps this has already been discussed, but I have beaten all three levels without ever having to defeat the dragon. It seems like once I get all of the castles open that eventually the bat will drag out the chalice and I'll win.

Has there been any discussion to a limited number of lives? Or perhaps a moving of the chalice after each life if it has been moved from its original location? How about a Pitfall-like timer?

I didn't think I cared much for Adventure-like games, including the original, but this game and EMR have changed my attitude towards them!

Thanks for all of the efforts!!

I've had a good time with this game. I would highly recommend it. Perhaps this has already been discussed, but I have beaten all three levels without ever having to defeat the dragon. It seems like once I get all of the castles open that eventually the bat will drag out the chalice and I'll win.

Has there been any discussion to a limited number of lives? Or perhaps a moving of the chalice after each life if it has been moved from its original location? How about a Pitfall-like timer?

Glad you like it! The dragon is invincible, so waiting for the bat to grab the chalice is actually a good strategy. In the latest release, the dragon should follow the chalice once the bat grabs it. Another strategy for taking the chalice from the dragon is using the staff and holding down the button to attract the chalice to you, although this only really works if you're in the room above or below the chalice; not in the rooms to the side of it.

I've also been thinking that there should be an option for a number of lives through the difficulty switches. Next release!

• 5 months later...

Byte Knight, I'm loving it. What a great way to spend a Sunday evening. Level 1 was challenging. I lacked the patience to wait and slaughter both wizards before questing for the goblet. Once they doubled up on me, Rezzing each other as I fired volley after volley of fireballs. I did get the coveted goblet and sent old Red to forever-and-ever land. Looking forward to the other two levels.

Byte Knight, I'm loving it. What a great way to spend a Sunday evening. Level 1 was challenging. I lacked the patience to wait and slaughter both wizards before questing for the goblet. Once they doubled up on me, Rezzing each other as I fired volley after volley of fireballs. I did get the coveted goblet and sent old Red to forever-and-ever land. Looking forward to the other two levels.

Thanks - glad someone's playing it! Yeah, you're kinda screwed if both wizards are after you because of the resurrection thing - best to look for a quick exit. You'll get to meet the invincible protector of the chalice in Levels 2 & 3...

Edited by Byte Knight

Thanks - glad someone's playing it! Yeah, you're kinda screwed if both wizards are after you because of the resurrection thing - best to look for quick exit. You'll get to meet the invincible protector of the chalice in Levels 2 & 3...

and when you first meet this protector your initial reaction is :-o :-o :-o then you die :grin:

• 6 months later...

Hey guys,

I just updated the game with RevEng's bounce-collision routine, which allows the player to "slide" along the walls as in Adventure. No more "sticky" walls! The demo only contains level 1, so no bat and no dragon. Still looking for some intro music if anyone is interested...

The game will be demo'ed again at PRGE and released on cart form some time after that.

EMRII25demo.bin

• Like 5

I _LOVE_ the non sticky walls! However, You can still get hung up in the notched walls.

I don't like the flashlight in the maze. Try making it not go to zero. If it goes to all black, you get a flash/flicker from black to yellow that, to me, is unpleasant.

I died 3-4 times, but got the chalice into the yellow castle!

I'll buy this one for sure.

What kind of music? A Middle-Age ditty?

I _LOVE_ the non sticky walls! However, You can still get hung up in the notched walls.

I don't like the flashlight in the maze. Try making it not go to zero. If it goes to all black, you get a flash/flicker from black to yellow that, to me, is unpleasant.

I died 3-4 times, but got the chalice into the yellow castle!

I'll buy this one for sure.

What kind of music? A Middle-Age ditty?

Glad you're liking it! I agree that the nonstick walls make a huge difference in the game, especially when you're running for your life.

I have to flicker the torch effect in the dark mazes because the torchlight uses the player0 sprite. So if you're carrying an item (player1-9), the item will disappear behind the torchlight without flicker, regardless of the color of the torchlight. I did the 3 on and 3 off frames as in Adventure.

For music, I was thinking of some spooky organ music, something like in Gauntlet II. But I'd settle for anything that sounds cool...