IGNORED

Venture - Atari 8-Bit XL/XE

chuckwalla

• 2 weeks later...

I third that.

GR8 software and AtariAge carts look much better (Video61 really needs a better printer, better quality paper and a professional cutting tool for the labels), and esp. the big boxes (like Bomb Jake or Robbo Forever) look really professional (I don't like those flimsy plastic cases they used for Line Runner and Isora/Loopz DX, though)..

I did contact Lance and Sal in early July concerning Venture. We are waiting on our cartridge guy to do his part. We are trying to avoid using the AtariMax carts for a game that uses a quarter of that cartridge space. I did look at some alternate cartridge formats awhile back and Lance at Video61 is working with someone with just that. I want to keep the overhead low so that cartridge can be sold cheaper. I did look for other cartridge formats for games that fit under 64K or cheaper than the Tucker Max Carts. Sal did not want to use SIC! carts. Would need to know if the people at GR8 can sell us the blank Cartridges and we can sell them ourselves.

If I was going to use an AtariMax cart, I'd rather put something on it that uses the full 128K or 1024K. I did start up a Core project for Role Playing / Adventure type games that was derived from my Venture source code. Looking to do something between the 2600 Adventure and NES Legend of Zelda.

Another thing I was experimenting with is a version of Tempest that can play on different Atari Hardware configurations like VBXE, Stereo Pokeys, etc. Someone wanted driving controller / paddle support, but it would need a 2nd fire button for the super zapper. It can default and play on a standard XL/XE 8-bit with 64K because we still want it available to anyone. Sal and Lance won't support me if I made something VBXE specific or requires 128K RAM. It will have more levels and capable of more lanes.

Edited by peteym5

As I've written many times, GR8 Software packages are great and have a nice price too!

I prefer their big packages but I like small ones too.

Probably lately GR8 Software uses small package format because it is easier to produce.

I think those plastic cases are bought instead of produced. And more sturdy alternatives were used by other homebrewers, e.g. these were used for several Lynx homebrews (Poker, Solitaire!, Hot Dog, Relief Pitcher, Lynxopoly), but apparently they are no longer distributed in Germany, as he is currently looking for an alternative case.

Someone wanted driving controller / paddle support, but it would need a 2nd fire button for the super zapper.

For driving controller, If you put that on left or right on port 0, for paddles, it can be put on up or down on port 0 (provided a foot pedal is used as a passthrough device).

Or you can just put it on the trigger of port 1 and use either a stick or a foot pedal for the same purpose, which seems to be the easiest solution.

Thorsten

Someone wanted driving controller / paddle support, but it would need a 2nd fire button for the super zapper.

Paddles have two buttons (mapped to left/right stick movement)?

Something like that, or have one mapped to the firebutton. The paddles have the 2 POT controllers per port, and using one of PortA bits for the fire button. Someone need to make custom paddles.

Another possible solution is to have the particle laser continuously fire and the fire button activate the supper zapper. Using a trackball is possible if the player goes horizontal to switch lanes, and a rapid vertical movement for the superzapper. Did thought about the spacebar also, but already mapping that for the pause. Can play the game without the superzapper. Bottom line there's going to be issues using something other than the joystick.

I did contact Lance and Sal in early July concerning Venture. We are waiting on our cartridge guy to do his part. We are trying to avoid using the AtariMax carts for a game that uses a quarter of that cartridge space. I did look at some alternate cartridge formats awhile back and Lance at Video61 is working with someone with just that. I want to keep the overhead low so that cartridge can be sold cheaper. I did look for other cartridge formats for games that fit under 64K or cheaper than the Tucker Max Carts. Sal did not want to use SIC! carts. Would need to know if the people at GR8 can sell us the blank Cartridges and we can sell them ourselves.

If I was going to use an AtariMax cart, I'd rather put something on it that uses the full 128K or 1024K. I did start up a Core project for Role Playing / Adventure type games that was derived from my Venture source code. Looking to do something between the 2600 Adventure and NES Legend of Zelda.

Another thing I was experimenting with is a version of Tempest that can play on different Atari Hardware configurations like VBXE, Stereo Pokeys, etc. Someone wanted driving controller / paddle support, but it would need a 2nd fire button for the super zapper. It can default and play on a standard XL/XE 8-bit with 64K because we still want it available to anyone. Sal and Lance won't support me if I made something VBXE specific or requires 128K RAM. It will have more levels and capable of more lanes.

A little 'OUT OF THIS TOPIC' but do you know, have something to do with it or can ask someone about Out-Run or any other games Sal was behind (Pac-Mania not needed because it was me, Sal's sounds and two others)?

Edited by José Pereira

Sal seems to be MIA, sometimes months go by before I get any email or phone calls back from him. I have 2 projects lined up that need updated sounds. I am sure there are other people on here like Emkay that know how to work with RMT. I am not really a music person, and have not done anything independent for sound effects for years. If I don't here anything soon, I may have to find someone else to do music and sound for a game made with my RPG / Adventure core. I want to put more games out because I am in need of money now.

The atlantis Games Group is still ON but with another name:

http://karaokeportland.com/atlantis/outrun1.html

Of course it's the same as the last years but just because I would like to have one more try:

Who is the 'OutRun' main programmer: 'Lead Programer: TJ "Damage X" Edmister (New York, USA)?.

Is he someone from here (with another nick-name...)?

What the hell, so many times going there and just now that I saw that our very well knowing Pseudograpx was behing the gfxs.

Maybe he knows something more.

Peteym5 was it more games and programmers working with Sal/Atlantis?

That could be a good start...

I am not properly interested in the financial part but just to know if there are some possible active guys coding (with todays so many people without Jobs all over the world).

If you go into C64 side you'll see they have Protovision and others with soo many games coming (and not simple games but really professional ones like the the recent Frank gasking Sub Hunter or the master gfxs man Smila).

It seems that we have market but we don't have active coders.

Are the C64 guys the only ones with free-time?

P.s.- This is not intended to say that we have only cart/selling only versions.

On C64 they have all that games download free but it seems that people continue to buy tapes, disc and some of them on the 16Kb C64 carts format.

From the conversations in here and on AtariOnline it seems that we also have people buying (on the specific A8 hardware and the Memory/Data sprites and gfxs probably best and only those recent large Memory carts that still runs on real with at least 64Kb Machines).

Just some thoughts...

Edited by José Pereira

The atlantis Games Group is still ON but with another name:

http://karaokeportla...is/outrun1.html

Of course it's the same as the last years but just because I would like to have one more try:

Who is the 'OutRun' main programmer: 'Lead Programer: TJ "Damage X" Edmister (New York, USA)?.

Is he someone from here (with another nick-name...)?

It also says: "Secondary Programer: Gary "Rybags" Ryan (Australia)".

That must be Rybags from this forum. Maybe he knows more.

Robert

If you go into C64 side you'll see they have Protovision and others with soo many games coming (and not simple games but really professional ones like the the recent Frank gasking Sub Hunter or the master gfxs man Smila).

Sorry, going to be slightly pedantic here; Frank and Smila have done work for Psytronik and RGCD but not Protovision.

It seems that we have market but we don't have active coders.

Are the C64 guys the only ones with free-time?

Not really... some of us are too busy writing Atari 8-bit stuff! =-)

i'm going to try saying this again to everybody reading even though it never actually works: if people want to see new Atari 8-bit games, they could do a lot worse than learning 6502 and writing something themselves. The more games that come out, the more interest there is generally in new games and that attention is motivation the coders doing the long haul projects. 6502 really isn't difficult and anybody wanting to learn has some great online resources at Atari Archives and a good knowledge base right here, just learning enough to knock out what would've been budget games in the 1980s is enough. Make another Warhawk, Matta Blatta or Humanoid... or perhaps even something that isn't a shoot 'em up. =-)