IGNORED

Pre-Order thread - Jaguar S-video and Euro Scart RGB cables

thgill

This is the Pre-order thread.

Previous info can be found here:

http://www.atariage....b-scart-cables/

I will be running the Pre-order period through Midnight August 24th starting today. All cable orders must be paid in full prior to this cutoff. After which parts will be ordered and building will commence. I suspect I should be able to start delivering cables during the first couple weeks of September depending on how many are pre-ordered. Shouldn't be any hangups like last time.

I am building these two cable types:

6ft long Svideo/Composite with stereo audio. Built with quality molded one piece cables. No tacky looking cut up standard A/V cables.

6ft long Euro Scart RGB cable with Stereo audio. Will NOT build it to the JP21 spec as I don't have an easy way to test it since I don't own anything that uses it.

Just like the last cable build run, I will keep a tally in this post as to who has paid for what.

Pricing:

Stereo S-video/composite cable: $24

Scart Euro RGB cable: $30

Free shipping in the US. Outside US please contact me for a shipping quote.

I accept Paypal only. Please make sure to include shipping info in your PM to me.

Pre-order list

Edited by thgill

Any updates on these?

What are updates are you looking for?

So far there are about 7 S-video and 1 Scart cables pre-ordered. I am waiting on Albert to modify my first post so that I can keep it updated with who paid for what.

Hey thgill,

Excuse my ignorance, I was going to start a thread but then spotted yours. Could you tell me if S-video is superior on the (PAL) Jag than Scart?

(CD unit attached.)

Currently I have a scart lead, which I assume is not a genuine lead as it's not featured here in the list of official hardware. I've been under the impression for a while that the 2 systems were equal, clearly this is not so.

I'm in the process of upgrading three consoles (3DO, CD32, CDi) to S-video from composite and from Scart for the latter; as I have been able to test them with a standard male-male S-video cable. I can't do this of course with the Jag (I don't have a catbox!!)

I don't want to lay out any money if scart and s-video are equals on the Jag.

I've heard of such a thing as an RGB version of a scart lead but I have no idea if this is such a thing.

Kind regards

Scart wired for RGB is superior in every way to s-video. Its the native video output of most of these late 80' and 90's consoles.

S-video can be very nice. RGB is better.

Some really cheap Scart cable are only wired for composite video rather than full RGB. And many Euro's TVs that have multiple Scart inputs only allow RGB on the first Scart input. Varies from TV to TV.

Edited by thgill
  • Like 1

Scart wired for RGB is superior in every way to s-video. Its the native video output of most of these late 80' and 90's consoles.

S-video can be very nice. RGB is better.

Some really cheap Scart cable are only wired for composite video rather than full RGB. And many Euro's TVs that have multiple Scart inputs only allow RGB on the first Scart input. Varies from TV to TV.

Thanks Thgill, that's kind of you. It all makes perfect sense. Yup, it's a 2 scart input flat screen TV (panasonic). I'm fairly certain all pins are present on the socket on the lead. So I guess it must be RGB then. Any particular way to tell otherwise? I could probably open up the scart plug to see what sort of wiring it has..In fact when each console is switched on I usually get a little info on-screen to say what sort of input it's detected. I'll try it tonight.

All the best,

You would have to open it up to verify. Just because the pins are there, doesn't mean anything is wired to them.

Yes, I think I will do this.. I'll take it that if there are more than 6 wires soldered on, it must represent something other than composite!!

Probably.

Typical RGB scart cable consists of:

Red

Green

Blue

Sync (can be derived from either composite sync or composite video)

Left Audio

Right Audio

Ground

5v to 12v(for switching aspect ratio and selecting composite video or RGB)

You would have to open it up to verify. Just because the pins are there, doesn't mean anything is wired to them.

Yes, I think I will do this.. I'll take it that if there are more than 6 wires soldered on, it must represent something other than composite!!

Probably.

Typical RGB scart cable consists of:

Red

Green

Blue

Sync (can be derived from either composite sync or composite video)

Left Audio

Right Audio

Ground

5v to 12v(for switching aspect ratio and selecting composite video or RGB)

Excellent, thanks for that info.

I'll report back with my findings!

The scart has 7 soldered points on one row and 6 on the other + ground.

Some points have more than one wire soldered to them

It's a really thick cable too. No idea who made it - it's not offical Atari, got it from ebay around 2005.

Also the message AV2 RGB comes up on screen when turning on the Jag. I guess that well and truely answers it!

Good luck with your sales and sorry I wasn't a customer this time!!

All the best.