IGNORED

Super Mario Clone World 1-1 Playable Demo!

Sprybug

I kinda didn't realise DPC+ didn't have pfread working yet. Even though I suggested it to Batari many moons back. He would have to change the pfread statements into something that reads the level data instead.

Yeah, from what I understand it's still kinda buggy which is why I haven't used it, and not just that there are a few things I wouldn't be able to do that I can do now as well.

Sorry for more technical questions than review.. but, how difficult would it be to replace those pfread commands with reading level data anyway? What approach would you take?

Is it still possible to use the screen variables to be able to do reads?

I was hoping Byte Knight would know but after looking at an early version of EMRII he uses collision(blah, playfield) commands. I guess no one has attempted it yet.

I want to see this sold (only for the price of cartridge production rather than the value of the code, of course) as a 9 volume cartridge set, each one with one world on it. And I want each cartridge to say 'insert world 4' or whatever when you warp or finish the world. It's a packaging opportunity!

Super awesome BTW!

Would you be able to treat two blocks (wide) as one so that the blocks you bust are square? I hope that made sense.

I've thought about that and when I saw this post I looked into it. One big benefit, besides being more squared, is that it would cut my level data in half! Right now I'm scurrying for rom space (even with 32k) just to get 16 levels in and am not sure if I'll be able to pull it off. The level data and the scroll routine need to be in the same bank and after 1 world (4 levels) I used up about 2.7k of space, which means I can only do about 6 levels per bank. I have one free bank left and might be able to use what's left over from another bank to get all 16 in, but we'll see. As for applying what you're saying, my biggest concern is my cycle time. The routine that compares mario and the playfield blocks is in the second game cycle (out of three) where I'm desperately low on available cycles. Doing any Playfield commands takes up quite a bit of cycle space and if I did two blocks to one, I would have to run one extra pfpixel command and an extra check to find out which one its coupled with to turn on/off when bricks are smashed. I can't do this on the first cycle (where I have the most available) because it needs to happen in the same cycle that mario smashes the bricks. I'd love to do that, but I don't think I have anymore cycles to spare to pull it off.

• Like 1

Wow this is amazing! Totally dig it, and I'm excited you've taken SMB this far. Great work!

You might have already been asked this, but does it make any sense to have a version or state in the game where the player can choose to use the Atari 2-button controller, the CX-78? http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/449367210_33960bb866.jpg I don't know how many changes that would make in the game, or if it's possible, but that might change the play control for the better.

Edited by lapetino

Wow this is amazing! Totally dig it, and I'm excited you've taken SMB this far. Great work!

You might have already been asked this, but does it make any sense to have a version or state in the game where the player can choose to use the Atari 2-button controller, the CX-78? http://farm1.static.flickr.com/217/449367210_33960bb866.jpg I don't know how many changes that would make in the game, or if it's possible, but that might change the play control for the better.

That's not a bad idea, but can the Atari 2600 hardware detect the second button? If so, I'd be more than happy to make the option available, it wouldn't be that hard to add. Maybe someone can chime in on this if its possible to use a controller that has more than one fire button (such as the CX-78 and/or Genesis) on a real 2600?

• Like 1

the starman power.

How about changing the background color slightly, not flashing anything.

Looking back on this comment, are you talking about when he has the star power? That's actually a pretty cool idea. I wonder how it'd look. Maybe I should try it.

• Like 1

Mark down Nintendolife as another site this game got mentioned. I applaud your efforts, sir. I sincerely hope this game gets released to the AtariAge store when it is done. Please don't do a limited once only release of XX copies like they did with Halo. Also, since this is a legitamate homebrew, if you plan to release a cartridge version to sell, you may want to remove "Mario" from the title (but don't change the sprites), maybe call it "Super Jumpman" or something? Mario was originally "Jumpman" in Donkey Kong before he got a real human name. I'm only suggesting because Nintendo is very strict about protecting their IP and might issue a C&D if you use the name "Mario" in production. That said, I'm the biggest Mario fan on the planet (I've got every Mario Platform game on every Nintendo console to date, new & retro, 2D & 3D), and I've been dreaming of something like this ever since I got into Atari collecting a few months back. Someone did a Smurfs hack with Mario sprites, but it wasn't the same. I'm definitely loading the demo onto my Harmony cart to play through this weekend.

Introducing the 1-4,2-4,3-4 villain boss....Bowser Jr.!

I made a color mixing via flicker program to see what colors I can mix to get some good combos, then I made a composite pixel art of Bowser Jr, then made 2 different colored version to make up one Bowser Jr. via flickering and I'm happy with what came out. I wanted to share.

BTW, Stella users, be sure to turn Phosphorus on via Alt-P to get a true display or else it looks crappy.

Enjoy!

BowserJrTest.bas.bin

• Like 1

...can the Atari 2600 hardware detect the second button? If so, I'd be more than happy to make the option available, it wouldn't be that hard to add. Maybe someone can chime in on this if its possible to use a controller that has more than one fire button (such as the CX-78 and/or Genesis) on a real 2600?
You can add support for 2 buttons with a Genesis controller, but not with a 7800 controller. Someone else could give you pointers on how to use a Genesis controller. There's also a thread in the 2600 Hacks forum about hacking various 2600 games for 2-button Genesis support.
  • Like 1

You can add support for 2 buttons with a Genesis controller, but not with a 7800 controller. Someone else could give you pointers on how to use a Genesis controller. There's also a thread in the 2600 Hacks forum about hacking various 2600 games for 2-button Genesis support.

And if you do that, you can configure Stella to emulate the 'Genesis' controller (as I've done with the hacks mentioned in that thread).

• Like 1

the starman power.

How about changing the background color slightly, not flashing anything.

Looking back on this comment, are you talking about when he has the star power? That's actually a pretty cool idea. I wonder how it'd look. Maybe I should try it.

Yes, only when it is active, maybe pale yellow...

I want to see this sold (only for the price of cartridge production rather than the value of the code, of course) as a 9 volume cartridge set, each one with one world on it. And I want each cartridge to say 'insert world 4' or whatever when you warp or finish the world. It's a packaging opportunity!

Super awesome BTW!

Or on a CD (Or actual cassettes) as a multi load for Supercharger!

Then you could assemble them together for use on harmony.

You can add support for 2 buttons with a Genesis controller, but not with a 7800 controller. Someone else could give you pointers on how to use a Genesis controller.

So, would this work the same way with the CX-78, or does that fall into the category of 7800 controller? I know these were packaged and sold with 2600s in Europe, but that's where my knowledge ends.

OMFG Wil Wheaton did a Tumblr post on this even.

http://wilwheaton.tumblr.com/post/30039895112/via-super-mario-bros-for-atari-2600-boing

I guess there's no turning back now. I even have an interview request from Nintendo Life. Um, along with my real job animating, and working on this, I'll try and keep up with all you guys on your suggestions and things and let you know if they are doable or not and why not. This is getting far far far far more attention than I ever anticipated. I just started doing this just to see if I could...

• Like 1