IGNORED

Breaking news! Mars rover has jag powa!

GroovyBee

It appears that NASA are so strapped for cash that they used an Atari Jaguar as the brains in their latest Mars rover. To see for yourself try this :-

rover.zip

Fire to start, d-pad to move, keys 1, 2 and 3 for special effects :lol:.

Best seen on real hardware.

Have fun!

I forgot to mention load at 0x802000 and run from 0x802000 for Skunk and Alpine owners.

Some screenshots (what you see on your machine/emulator will most likely be different ;)) :-

post-21935-0-89157600-1345313232_thumb.pngpost-21935-0-61361600-1345313240_thumb.png

post-21935-0-70072400-1345313248_thumb.png

Edit: Added screenshots.

Edited by GroovyBee
  • Like 15

GB, for someone who has been coding the Jag for about a month, that's pretty damn impressive stuff (I have to say this here even though I've already been telling you as much when testing it).

How about a .BIN or .ABS so we can make a ULS of it, too?

• Like 7

GB, for someone who has been coding the Jag for about a month, that's pretty damn impressive stuff (I have to say this here even though I've already been telling you as much when testing it).

Thanks for the compliment and the testing. Its good for few evenings work this week (as you know ;)). This GPU coded version is also a vast improvement over the pure "C" version. Yet more proof that the jag is hard to program.

How about a .BIN or .ABS so we can make a ULS of it, too?

A BJL version should be possible. I'll build one later. I still haven't experimented with what Jag compatible executable images VBCC can create.

• Like 3

Took me a moment to work out where to put it. Upload to $802000, go from $802000

That's really pretty gorgeous. Nice and smooth and very impressive for only a months worth of getting used to the system.

Actually scratch that, it's impressive regardless of experience.

• Like 2

Took me a moment to work out where to put it. Upload to $802000, go from $802000

Yep! Sorry I should have put that info in with my first post.

That's really pretty gorgeous. Nice and smooth and very impressive for only a months worth of getting used to the system.

Thanks for the compliment. I started it earlier this week so its only a few evenings work in reality. I'd say that the jag is definitely a fun machine to code on in either "C", 68K/GPU/DSP assembler.

Actually scratch that, it's impressive regardless of experience.

Thanks for the compliment. I think the fractal algorithm and colour palette helps a lot with the way it looks.

• Like 3

That is pretty impressive. Nice work! :thumbsup:

Thanks for the compliment.

Yup, nice work GroovyBee !

Here's how it looks like :

rover.png

Thanks for the image. The landscape is generated randomly every time you run it.

GroovyBee : I can do a video capture if you like.

Please do if you have the time.

Impressive effect, nice looking and very smooth !

loading is a bit long, maybe you could precompute and pack it if you plan to make a game with it :)

Its not really "loading" data. The landscape is generated as a fractal every time you run it. I use the delay before you press the fire button as the seed for the random number generator.

If I revisit the code then some of the landscape generation phases can be moved onto the GPU to get the total processing time down. The smoothing and scaling phases would be the best and easiest candidates for that.

I don't have any plans to make a game with it at this time.

Loved it, but then I love anything to do with Mars. So after a long time away from tinkering with the Jag (busy overseas) I set up my Jag and Skunkboard to check out this awesome mix of the Jaguar and Mars. That was really great.

Now that you have the generator for mountains, make Rescue on Fractilus (Or Behind Jaggy Lines) for the Jaguar. :)

• Like 4