IGNORED

Breaking news! Mars rover has jag powa!

GroovyBee

That would be fantastic. I could imagine ROF using sprites and some polygons, maybe make the game slightly more deep with the ability to leave the ship and go out on foot with a gun to help rescue pinned pilots, etc.

I've got it -

Rescue on Fractalus!

for the Jaguar! :)

That would be fantastic. I could imagine ROF using sprites and some polygons, maybe make the game slightly more deep with the ability to leave the ship and go out on foot with a gun to help rescue pinned pilots, etc.

Good suggestions but as I've already stated this is as far as I'll be taking the project at this time.

I admit than a race human vs human in this kind of landscape could be ver interesting and at same time the Jag is lacking this kind of offroad game.

How funny it would be to race on Mars between rovers from the Nasa, CCCP, chineses, martians... to be the first to plant their flag on the finish line to say: leave this is now my planet :D

Edited by Felyx

4 days ago I was impressed when the first 'proof of concept' build arrived, even though it was very slow and wasn't using the Jaguar's strengths to any great lengths, it was still hard to believe this was written by someone who hadn't programmed the Jaguar until a few weeks earlier. To see it come along so quickly and improve so visibly from build to build was really enjoyable and I just want to say thanks for being allowed to witness that ;-)

Wow! Thanks for the huge compliment. Many thanks for all the testing along the way too. In code terms the biggest speed improvement (after moving the display rendering code to the GPU) was in correctly guessing what they did in phase zero :lol:.

We're lucky to have Mark coding for the Jaguar, what with all his other interests such as 7800/Inty/etc. It only bodes well for future releases from him (and having seen some things he's working on, we're all in for some real treats!)

The jag is a ton of fun to code on. So much so that I might actually get a Skunk instead of coding and testing everything on the Virtual Jaguar (VJ) emulator :o. That's a huge testament to the quality of VJ too. Many thanks to Shamus and team for that. Sure, its not perfect (what emulator is) but it makes development life much easier and is in active development so maybe some day it'll get close.

Here's the latest build (V2) in ghettocam form running on my PAL/60 Jaguar, just made for the sake of it. Great work. Myth busted!

:cool: Thanks for that. I like the green palette too. The jag is good at green. Hmmmm... a bit like the PAL 7800 in that respect :lol:.

Looks like a good start. Great work.

If you're interested... I generally found the green to be somewhat less satisfactory when trying to smooth than the blue and red, due to the way CRY was set up.. with far fewer colours available around green than the others.

If you want to talk... I'm here... if not, thats ok too.

Edited by Atari_Owl
  • Like 1

Thanks for the compliment.

If you're interested... I generally found the green to be somewhat less satisfactory when trying to smooth than the blue and red, due to the way CRY was set up.. with far fewer colours available around green than the others.

Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the kind offer but it was just an "I wonder if ..." experiment on my part so I have no plans to use it in the near future. It'd need more work to make a fun game of any description from it.

Thanks for the compliment.

Thanks for the information.

Thanks for the kind offer but it was just an "I wonder if ..." experiment on my part so I have no plans to use it in the near future. It'd need more work to make a fun game of any description from it.

That's a pity. When you've had some time to think about it.. please consider returning to it.

I for one would love to see more games with 'voxels*' of this sort.

*I'm just saying 'voxels' as we were constantly reminded in the past that heightmapping of this sort isn't 'true' voxels - i figure its close enough.

Edited by Atari_Owl

Ok GroovyBee, now let's get serious. Here's what you'll have to beat next time :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AWUmt-7EPc

mars.zip

(it's an old demo released a long time ago. I think it was coded by Symmetry of TNG, but I'm not 100% sure. The files use the old "Atari ST-like" executable format ; the BJL uploader handles this correctly, but I'm not sure if the Skunkboard or emulators such as Virtual Jaguar support that.

I'm pretty sure it is a port of Tim Clarke's Mars demo. The author explains how it's done here.)

Edited by Zerosquare
  • Like 1

Hi Zerosquare, that is definitely one of Symmetry's. As for the executable format I think it's just an abs file with an odd name, but I haven't looked at it's internals. I know wdb (Atari's Alpine tool) handles it fine with a read command.

Edit: And that explanation text was a good read. I've read other voxel tutes but none so clear as that. At least to me, I'm sure many people will struggle with it's terseness but I'm odd when it comes to those things. I read a dozen texts about binary space partitioning and didn't get it until I read the doom source code which made it really clear lol.

Edited by Tyrant
  • Like 1

Ok GroovyBee, now let's get serious. Here's what you'll have to beat next time :D

Its a good frame rate and I can see a couple of differences compared to my implementation :-

- Each voxel span is several pixels wide (at least 4 by the look of it) so that means a reduction in the number of rays cast into the height map.

- Reduced drawing depth.

When you combine both of those your algorithm spends less time drawing so the frame rate goes up. As with any intensive graphics technique its always a trade off to get something that looks good and a good operating speed.

• Like 3

Those ".PRG" files work fine with skunkboard. EDIT: They're BJL files, .PRG might suggest they are JagServer files, but they're just BJL files that load/run at $4000

GB and Symmetry's routines are different approaches and they're both nice in their own way, but I don't really think one pwns the other or that anyone needs to say they do - they were coded by different people at different times for different reasons (and likely in different time scales). Where Symmetry's maybe wins in speed and fluidity it lacks in detail in draw distance and, whatever the distance, the voxels seem to be 5 pixels wide. It's kind of like the inverse of GB's in a way as the closer stuff is, the smoother it looks, the further away the much more blocky jaggies are visible as you see them contrasting much more against more distant colours and the background instead of similar surrounding colours closer in). I'm not sure the mode 7ish texture sky really adds anything, it's fairly random looking for the bottom half due to the resolution. Anyway, it's all really hard to distinguish in that video as it's exceptionally blurry and whoever was controlling it was flying around way too fast to make things out nicely, best to look at the binary on real hardware. To me Symmetry's earlier 1-pixel version looks better than this blocky version, although it's not as complete as this one (overdraws).

I've got it -

Rescue on Fractalus!

for the Jaguar! :)

Good suggestions but as I've already stated this is as far as I'll be taking the project at this time.

I understand that, but you must understand that this is just a bit of creative brainstorming brought on by inspiration from your amazing little demo (as well as the other older demo above). Even if you take this no further, it may still be inspiration for another to give a similiar engine a try and maybe they will take it further, maybe even with a jumping off point of some of our game ideas inspired by your engine. That being said...

I love how if you stop, you sink down to ground level. That is very much like a landing sequence in Rescue on Fractalus. If an engine like this was used for an ROF tribute, it would need a taller lanscape I think, you need real canyons and mountain peaks with the gun turrets mounted on top. this Rover demo definately brings back memories of RoF and I enjoy the better 3D aspect.

Please do! Its always interesting to see how other programmers solve the same kind of problems.

Here is it. I didn't implement rotation, I'm lazy.

There are a few ugly sprites in there. Will you find them?

Controls:

pad: move left/right/up/down

A: foward

C: backward

jag.zip

• Like 6

Good demo! I see you also went for 160 "fat" pixels horizontally like Phase Zero. My first few versions were rendering 320 pixels across and the frame rate wasn't very good. As soon as I looked at a screenshot of Phase Zero (taken from the emulator) and saw that it was using fat pixels I changed my algorithm and tables to match.

Please do! Its always interesting to see how other programmers solve the same kind of problems.

Here is it. I didn't implement rotation, I'm lazy.

There are a few ugly sprites in there. Will you find them?

Controls:

pad: move left/right/up/down

A: foward

C: backward

This is fantastic that everyone is experimenting with Voxels! Very exciting! I love the use of the different colors in this.

There are centering issues on my TV. Everything is up too high quite a bit and to the right a bit but not so much to the right as it is too high. I dont have a camera available to take a picture of it unfortunately.

Edited by JagChris