IGNORED

HSC9 Round 13: Donkey Kong... with a twist!

Gorilla Warfare - 130

post-9212-0-63691800-1346195142_thumb.png

That corner but is the most tricky - you are safe on the end, wait for right hand soldier to go to top of right side of rope before dropping off - you can take the easier long way round the top for most of them ;)

There is a fun challenge Write a BASIC game in 4K or RAM thread on the main forum - if anyone would like to make a start with some BASIC programming let me know and I'll help you... it's fun and even if it's just a few lines it might be rewarding. There's tons of books and articles on atariarchives.org too

remember those days of going into the computer stores and typing this in or something ruder and leaving it running [insert nostalgia smiley] :)

READY

10 PRINT "HELLO"

20 GOTO 10

RUN

Gorilla Warfare - 340

:thumbsup: it's a hard slog but just think of the HSC points!!! (go over the top and drop off left of him to do the others - you've probably figured out that the red soldier lures towards you)

I'll extend this round until Tuesday 4th 10am to give more for you all to get suggestions in for the HSC Olympics round (and for me to get organised!!!) ;)

I've finally gotten to the detonator, but don't know what you're supposed to do with it. I thought you were supposed to take it back to the top of the tree on the bottom left, but I can't seem to get up onto the top of the tree.

NEVER MIND -- FIGURED IT OUT!!!

Gorilla Warfare - 340

:thumbsup: it's a hard slog but just think of the HSC points!!! (go over the top and drop off left of him to do the others - you've probably figured out that the red soldier lures towards you)

I'll extend this round until Tuesday 4th 10am to give more for you all to get suggestions in for the HSC Olympics round (and for me to get organised!!!) ;)

Edited by jblenkle
  • Like 1

Gorilla Warfare - 2,020

post-9212-0-58688000-1346373183_thumb.png

I think I'm about through with this one...I always run out of time about halfway back with the detonator on the 2nd level...unless there is some sneaky way of getting past that one guard...

I see you figured out base 1 :thumbsup:

The 2nd level is really tight for time(!) [i made this a feature of the game as I was limited to 4 screens due to RAM and gameplay was pretty maxed out due to speed of BASIC (no m/c)].

Here are some Gorilla Warfare Base 2 Shortcuts:

Deposit one bomb from underneath to save going round.

Instead of waiting for the blue guard to go right and using the two right hand ropes to climb past him, use the little rope with fire to hop straight up and go along the top.

When going down you can drop onto the edge of the little platform near the tree and then go onto the tree

You can jump up (fire) and get the fruit without having to climb the tree!

Leave the top left bomb until last, cross the bridge and get the detonator before going back for the bonus fruit, then finish the level.

General hints: You can drop off from about your own height - quicker than climbing down. Use fire and l/r to climb up diagonally - If you get really good you can cut the corners using using this e.g. base 2 to climb off the tree to get to the top edge ;-)

Wow! Thanks for the tips...I had no idea you could do most of that stuff...it either never occurred to me, or I tried it and for whatever reason it didn't work for me...I'll have to give it another go.

Gorilla Warfare - 2,020

post-9212-0-58688000-1346373183_thumb.png

I think I'm about through with this one...I always run out of time about halfway back with the detonator on the 2nd level...unless there is some sneaky way of getting past that one guard...

I see you figured out base 1 :thumbsup:

The 2nd level is really tight for time(!) [i made this a feature of the game as I was limited to 4 screens due to RAM and gameplay was pretty maxed out due to speed of BASIC (no m/c)].

Here are some Gorilla Warfare Base 2 Shortcuts:

Deposit one bomb from underneath to save going round. Didn't know you could do this!!!

Instead of waiting for the blue guard to go right and using the two right hand ropes to climb past him, use the little rope with fire to hop straight up and go along the top. Tried getting up it a few times and couldn't do it.

When going down you can drop onto the edge of the little platform near the tree and then go onto the tree

You can jump up (fire) and get the fruit without having to climb the tree! Didn't know you could do this!!!

Leave the top left bomb until last, cross the bridge and get the detonator before going back for the bonus fruit, then finish the level.

General hints: You can drop off from about your own height - quicker than climbing down. Use fire and l/r to climb up diagonally (didn't know you could do this)!!! - If you get really good you can cut the corners using using this e.g. base 2 to climb off the tree to get to the top edge ;-)

"Instead of waiting for the blue guard to go right and using the two right hand ropes to climb past him, use the little rope with fire to hop straight up and go along the top."

I'm just not getting how to do this...I can hop up and get the rope, but can't seem to move back to the left after that.

There's nothing like a hot pie in the face or a fireball in the butt, whilst meeting your demise... :P

Whacky rules Donkey Kong (all bonus goodies claimed):

post-21471-0-65219300-1346437112_thumb.jpg

...actually this might level the playing field somewhat.. er a wee bit sorta kinda for those that don't have

a 'kong' or a 'bob' in their handle ;)

"Instead of waiting for the blue guard to go right and using the two right hand ropes to climb past him, use the little rope with fire to hop straight up and go along the top."

I'm just not getting how to do this...I can hop up and get the rope, but can't seem to move back to the left after that.

(I see you've beaten base 2 :thumbsup: ) Keep fire held and move left (/right) and he'll grapple his way up!

DK Score for my nephew "Big G" 19,700 (Lv2 springs) not bad for an 11 year old... he and his sister have had their first real Atari session... he's hooked on DK and Nibbler, they both liked Flip and Flop and even managed the perspective (apart from one of them with Mitch the Monkey). Wizard of Wor was total anhinalation mainly of each other :D

post-19705-0-48923400-1346493128_thumb.jpg

new tables in a minute...

...actually this might level the playing field somewhat.. er a wee bit sorta kinda for those that don't have

So you want to play Aquatron or Sprong or maybe Klystron Raiders ;)

Edited by therealbountybob

Ah, OK, thanks...I'll try that...I was simply jumping up to the short rope and then trying to move. I was not holding the fire button down and going left/right.

(I see you've beaten base 2 :thumbsup: ) Keep fire held and move left (/right) and he'll grapple his way up!

DK Score for my nephew "Big G" 19,700 (Lv2 springs) not bad for an 11 year old... he and his sister have had their first real Atari session... he's hooked on DK and Nibbler, they both liked Flip and Flop and even managed the perspective (apart from one of them with Mitch the Monkey). Wizard of Wor was total anhinalation mainly of each other :D

post-19705-0-48923400-1346493128_thumb.jpg

new tables in a minute...

So you want to play Aquatron or Sprong or maybe Klystron Raiders ;)