IGNORED

psychicall lynx lcd dimension

candle

i've received lynx ii in the mail today - after trying to play batman returns for few minutes i'm speechless

how one could ever advertise it as COLOR LCD?

COLORIS at its best, and completly unreadable

vertical ghosting after light to dark transitions in upper part of the picture are normal?

good thing: its enormously hughe, so modern lcd module, including all glue logic and tv out can be easly fitted to place where original screen was, picture will be slighty smaller though (5mm smaller, so 75x48 will be 70x43)

Well, it is horrible by today's standards, but it still beat the GameBoy and GameGear. You must never forget it was one of the very first color LCDs ever.^^

That said, I can play with it; and read text too. But it is true that the brightness adjustment basically only leaves a small area of visibility, when you turn the wheel much in either direction you can forget it. And it all seems very bright, maybe the backlight is too strong and washes out the colors or something.

A better LCD would be very welcome; eventhough I can play with the old one, I fear that the screens will go bad of old age eventually, and there must be a way of replacement so Lynxes are not rendered useless soon. :)

i never had a lynx before, so this is where i stand, don't get me wrong here - i'm just a kido with new toy which is very old in fact and i'm expecting to see what i know as "color lcd" - and this is at worst nokia 3510i screen

anyways, i'm working on it, maybe tomorrow i'll have some display on RGB output

Nokia 3510i was made 10 years ago. The Lynx more than 20 years ago.

C'mon guys. The Lynx LCD works better than the PSP screen outside in bright sunlight. That is if you cut away the plastic lens.

Inside its another story. The Lynx has no black at all. Only hues of grey.

I am very excited to see if you really get some glue logic to work between the old Lynx chips and a modern LCD screen. I wish you good luck.

--

Karri

seems like screen is organised as 3 individual screens rather than single one (it doesn't split on RGB pixels, even not on R, G, B planes, istead per 160 RAW pixels, don't mind the color), each clock line is active only for 1/3 of horizontal raster time

as a proof i've removed one clock pair (CLK1) and that disabled first 1/3 of the screen area

I have been doing research on this same thing, I'm glad someone else is doing it as well :)

seems like screen is organised as 3 individual screens rather than single one (it doesn't split on RGB pixels, even not on R, G, B planes, istead per 160 RAW pixels, don't mind the color), each clock line is active only for 1/3 of horizontal raster time

as a proof i've removed one clock pair (CLK1) and that disabled first 1/3 of the screen area

Yes, this is actually why some units end up with different brightness levels among the three 160-pixel segments in the screen when the ribbon goes bad. The design is so bizarre.

Since the LCD can have variable refresh rates, it's best to just triple buffer the entire 160x102x12bpp in some external RAMs and then switch between them when one frame has finished drawing. So then there's no need to worry about color changes on a scanline and 50/60/70Hz refreshes. Everything can just be dumped out at 60Hz.

C'mon guys. The Lynx LCD works better than the PSP screen outside in bright sunlight. That is if you cut away the plastic lens.

Inside its another story. The Lynx has no black at all. Only hues of grey.

They blur about the same as well :P

The low contrast makes color choices for good visibility quite stressful too.

triple buffering will add a lag, which might be not desirable, and impact game playability

but this might be subjective, or even only in my head

getting all-for-all 60hz rgb output would be nice, but additional logic that would make it tick will be quite enormous

i'm going to keep it simple, at least in initial version

could someone provide background data on games and their frame rate? if there are only games that run >=60hz then we can have simple VGA out without going into much details like triple buffering

The Lynx can only have three refresh rates 50Hz, 60Hz or 75Hz.

All "modern" games will run at 75Hz as there is really no point in using the lower rates. Most of the time the Lynx shows identical content for many frames. The real fps is usually 75Hz divided by 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, ... depending on how much data the Lynx has to draw. I have not seen many games with higher refresh rates than 8 fps or so.

Edited by karri

if that would be A8 game running at 8FPS then it would be mostly unplayable at all

25fps is ok, 12.5fps is berable, but lower than this - no

anyways, p1-p3 are important only for this particular LCD screen as they are responsible for shades, but don't carry any color information in them

basically it looks like 4 bit counter running at 128khz