IGNORED

Nightmare On Elm Street (Atari 2600) WIP

Atari Adam

kj16.png

aboutthegamecopy.png

Hello everyone and welcome to the (development) page for the hard at work and upcoming Atari 2600 game Never Sleep Again - A Tribute To A Nightmare On Elm Street.

Please not that this project is nothing that will happen over night. It might take months and or years until completion. But as soon as we get something new we

will post it here and keep you, the fans informed.

As a fan of horror movies, one of the best (in my opinion) is the A Nightmare On Elm Street series. As a fan of Atari I have always wanted to see this as a playable game for the medium. This game is not finished by any means nor is it started.. We have concept art thus far and the idea. We are working hard to make this happen.
Splatterhouse Video Games is in the market to bring you high quality video games from the horror genre for your Atari 2600 gaming console.

Never Sleep Again: A Tribute Game To A Nightmare On Elm Street is now officially in the works. The sprite work will be done by PAC-MAN-RED and the programming will be done by Cybearg, both from here on Atari Age. Things have been being added to this thread as quickly as things are being done. So make sure to keep posted and to show your support for this game. We are looking forward to providing you all with high quality games that will entertain.

newsthread.png

9/25/2013: We have some fantastic news. We have some updated Freddy sprites posted. These show the animations for the attacks in all movable directions in the game.

3r0.gifkyp.gif8i3.gif

7/17/2013: Hello everyone. It has been a while since anything was posted on this thread. I want to keep you all informed that I am still working on making this game happen. Due to lack of communication I am in search of a programmer. This is a paying job, but pay will not be available until the game is complete. If anyone is interested in working on this project please contact me asap. I have the idea and what the game can be. I just need a couple of people willing to do a labor of love to get this off of the ground so it can turn into something that can be fruitful for everyone who is involved.

10/14/2012: The first look at the very first sprite for the game is now available for view. Designed and made by Illya Wilson (A.K.A. PAC-MAN-RED) this will give you all a first look at what Freddy will look like in the game. I hope you all enjoy and keep posted!

10/14/2012: I am excited to say that we have a programmer and another contributor making the sprites for Never Sleep Again - A Tribute To A Nightmare On Elm Street Atari 2600 video game. Things are back on track so KEEP POSTED! PAC-MAN-RED has agreed to do the sprite work for this game along with upcoming programmer game hack maker Rabbit 2600 working on the programming of the game itself! We will be posting the pictures of the sprites as soon as they are done. Once programming begins be sure to keep posted for screen shots of this upcoming release.

gameartimages.png

Right now we have prototype images to help promote and show you, the fans of what kind of game we are looking to produce. Below you will find the images of what the layout and design of the box will look like, the cart label and also a prototype image of the cart with labels on it.

47x9.png

gamespritesscreenshots.png

Here are the first official game sprites for the game by Illya Wilson (A.K.A. PAC-MAN-RED)

CHARACHTER SPRITES

FREDDY SPRITE (S) NANCY SPRITE (S) GLEN SPRITE (S)

kyp.gif8i3.gif8uz.gifotr.gifl9se.gifgbm.gifz26.gif

BONUS LEVEL VICTIM SPRITE

ahi.gif

OTHER SPRITES

MOLOTOV COCKTAIL

3wj7.gifxan.gif

GAME SCREENSHOT CONCEPT

(NOT ACTUAL GAME PLAY SCREENSHOT)

Here is a very raw and rough idea of how the game play will look like. Keep in mind this is not the actual game but the idea of it using the character sprites that WILL be used in the game.

69an.png

SOUL METER: The soul meter keeps track of how many victims souls you take while they are asleep. After you capture enough souls you will be offered a bonus stage that will allow you to re-fill your dream meter.

LEVEL METER: The level meter is the level of difficulty you have the game set on.

DREAM METER: The dream meter is essentially your time limit. It is how long you have in the dream world to take the souls of the innocent before they awake. Once the meter is empty the game is over.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Once the programming of the game is completed we will begin taking pre-orders for this game. It will be a limited run. As far as how many and of what, we are unsure as of yet. Keep posted to this page for updates and more information on A Nightmare On Elm Street video game for the Atari 2600.

!!!!WE ARE LOOKING FOR YOUR INPUT!!!!

Please make sure to comment and give us your feedback and input. All of it, good and bad will be put into consideration.

Thank you for the support and keep posted.

Edited by Atari Adam

If you're looking for a programming team, you might want to check out the local Kinkos for talent.

Lol, yeah I have no Kinkos where I live. So I had no idea what you where talking about. Well played lol. Serious post about making this game happen would be appreciated. :grin:

Lol, yeah I have no Kinkos where I live. So I had no idea what you where talking about. Well played lol. Serious post about making this game happen would be appreciated. :grin:

Please start at post #1:

http://www.atariage.com/forums/topic/26594-the-knight-rider-2600-project/page__hl__%20knight%20%20rider

Come on back when you have gotten the full scope of the conversation that transpired there. It may lend some insight.

(PS: that guy had 34 posts under his belt before trying to "tackle" that project!)

• Like 3

I just watched your YouTube trailer for your channel. I can see that you're sincere in what you're trying to achieve. I wish you all the best and will keep an eye on this thread and your channel to see what transpires... :)

• Like 1

I just watched your YouTube trailer for your channel. I can see that you're sincere in what you're trying to achieve. I wish you all the best and will keep an eye on this thread and your channel to see what transpires... :)

Thanks. I am very sincere about this project, and hopefully other projects to come. As a fan of Atari since the 80's, Atari has brought so much fun and joy into my life. With the means to do so these days, I would love to give back to the community that also has a love for it as I do. It is kind of a bummer to read some comments. As a group of people whom are so into Atari, there are a lot of negative people in this community. Maybe it is there personality, maybe they get there kicks out of being smart asses, but as for me, I am here to bring as much as I can to the community. Not bring it down with negativity so eventually people will just say F it, it's not worth it because of lack of enthusiasm from a community of so called fans of the medium.

I wouldn't get disheartened by some of the comments. I don't think anyone really means anything bad by them. It's more a case of age worn cynicism (of which I too am guilty!).

Over the years many people have come forth full of ideas and promises and rarely do these projects see the light of day. Maybe when you have something a little more tangible people might take you a bit more seriously... :)

Have you considered contacting someone like, say, Rabbit2600? He's fairly new and keen (read: not cynical!) and has been producing ROM hacks from Bezerk and the likes. Maybe a more humble project just to get something under your belt which shows you can work to completion and with someone else would be a good step forward?

Just my tuppence worth. I don't mean to patronise. :)

• Like 2

It would be cool to have a game based on the Elm Street story. Best of luck with this! I think PFL's recommendation to contact Rabbit2600 is a good one as a place to start. He has been posting several hacks he has done here. Maybe he'd be interested in helping you.

• Like 2

Please make sure to comment and give us your feedback and input. All of it, good and bad will be put into consideration.

Careful. Asking for feedback on work done thus far (which is what?) and then complaining about the community being negative when it's not the kind of feedback you are really after is a one-way trip. Ideas are ideas, work is work. Conceptual images is not work...that stuff is easy. Where actual programming is concerned, the people around here are more than helpful.

But if you are looking for somebody to program an entire game for you, it may help to name a price...I'd imagine.

• Like 4

Careful. Asking for feedback on work done thus far (which is what?) and then complaining about the community being negative when it's not the kind of feedback you are really after is a one-way trip. Ideas are ideas, work is work. Conceptual images is not work...that stuff is easy. Where actual programming is concerned, the people around here are more than helpful.

But if you are looking for somebody to program an entire game for you, it may help to name a price...I'd imagine.

I understand as of right now all I have are images. Rightly so, but asking for feedback does not mean the implementation of comments or remarks that really have nothing good or bad to say. Just random bantering for the sake of it. I am looking for constructive feedback. Not lashing out in smart ass remarks. When I say feedback I am asking for ideas from the community that they would like to see in a game like this, or things that could be changed, things they would like to see in the packaging. I want to take it all and do my best to implement it into the final product, in return doing my best to provide the community with something new.. This is a project being started from the ground up. It does take time to get everything in order and is nothing that happens over night. I am working hard every day to make this a real release for the fans and the community. It's not that I am complaining, I am more disappointed in some of the remarks made. I love Atari and the community as a whole.

I wouldn't get disheartened by some of the comments. I don't think anyone really means anything bad by them. It's more a case of age worn cynicism (of which I too am guilty!).

Over the years many people have come forth full of ideas and promises and rarely do these projects see the light of day. Maybe when you have something a little more tangible people might take you a bit more seriously... :)

Have you considered contacting someone like, say, Rabbit2600? He's fairly new and keen (read: not cynical!) and has been producing ROM hacks from Bezerk and the likes. Maybe a more humble project just to get something under your belt which shows you can work to completion and with someone else would be a good step forward?

This is the kind of feedback I am looking for. Something that will help (good or bad) to make this happen and make it tangible. Thank your for the input and the information.

Is there anyway anyone can direct me in the right direction in contacting Rabbit2600?

Atari Adam,

Right now you're annoyed or angry at some of the comments, but frankly, you started off on the wrong foot...

This game is not finished by any means, but I assure you all that it will happen.
In order to make this happen Splatterhouse Video Games is in search of a programmer

Saying a game isn't finished implies that it's started, and I don't see signs of that. Its a disingenuous approach. So is throwing a vanity company name around to impress. (and it doesn't)

Things would have gone much better if you had posted with a more earnest "I'm a talented graphic designer. Me and my friends would love to see a Nightmare on Elm Street game. I'll do what it takes, if someone will do the programming. Who's with me?"

On to constructive feedback about the project...

It's great you have enthusiasm for your project, but you've put the cart before the horse; without a programmer a 2600 game isn't going to happen. A good 2600 game takes several months to several years to create. Most of the work is very, very, very, tedious. By the end of it all the coder has play-tested the game so many times they don't enjoy playing their own creation. (at least, not until months or years pass)

While the number of people who have programmed a 2600 game is probably quite large, the number of active 2600 programmers who can finish a game is actually very small. There isn't a pool of them waiting for the next idea-man to come along. Nor are they looking to do all the heavy lifting so someone else's vanity company can take the glory.

So, as Nukey brings up, what are you bringing to the table? If it's just graphic design, it probably won't cut it. I believe I'm being realistic here, rather than negative.

vdub_bobby wrote eloquently on this same topic in his non-programmer idea peddlers thread. I'd recommend you give that a view.

There's my 2 bits, and I earnestly wish you good-luck.

• Like 6

In my humble opinion, as much as I would love to see it I will say. EVERYTHING RevEng says in post 18 is RIGHT ON THE MONEY.

I don't like over hype and misleading thread titles! Simply stating "Looking for a programmer for Nightmare on Elm Street 2600 project"

That would have been more honest form the start and not misleading. better to be straight forward and attract those who might have something to offer than to build false hype.

• Like 1

I understand as of right now all I have are images. Rightly so, but asking for feedback does not mean the implementation of comments or remarks that really have nothing good or bad to say. Just random bantering for the sake of it. I am looking for constructive feedback. Not lashing out in smart ass remarks. When I say feedback I am asking for ideas from the community that they would like to see in a game like this, or things that could be changed, things they would like to see in the packaging. I want to take it all and do my best to implement it into the final product, in return doing my best to provide the community with something new.. This is a project being started from the ground up. It does take time to get everything in order and is nothing that happens over night. I am working hard every day to make this a real release for the fans and the community. It's not that I am complaining, I am more disappointed in some of the remarks made. I love Atari and the community as a whole.

No one is being aggressive or negative here with their comments...not that I have seen. :? Folks are being rather truthful, which you may be seeing as a negative. If you want some constructive comments, here are my suggestions:

1.) you currently have 9 posts on AtariAge...6 of them are from this thread. It might be helpful to join the community a bit...let us get to know you...then take on an ambitious project. IMHO, even if I could code worth anything, I wouldn't put in the hundreds of hours necessary for this. That's not because it sounds like a bad idea...it's because it could evaporate overnight, as could your presence here. Fly-by-nights are somewhat of a common thing on internet forums...just sayin.

2.) If you want to gain support, you need to present more than a website and a mock-up of a cart and box. You will need a solid business plan and a proven track record. As someone said earlier...try and cut your teeth on something less ambitious. Then, after you have a proven success and some credibility amongst the community, you can start speaking with folks from a well respected position.

3.) People don't like to work for free. Even if you were to offer a sum of money to complete the project, without solid references or a proven track record, no one will trust you. I have been collecting for a very long time, but I have only been here a couple of years. In my time at AA, I have seen (on numerous occasions) projects which went belly up. On some occasions, even the long standing members of AA (with a proven track record) skipped off with the pre-order money (can you say skull island??? http://www.atariage...._ skull island). Many of us here are very hesitant to trust something from a brand new member...especially if it means giving up time, money or both.

4.) There aren't tons of programmers here just waiting for ideas. IMHO, the programmers have an endless amount of ideas of their own. What they lack is the time required to execute the project and see it to completion. Just cruise around the forum for a bit and see how many homebrew projects are being worked on and how long they take to get finished on average. There was a whole thread on this subject...you should take a minute and search for it.

5.) IP. Any time you are talking about taking a licensed character, movie, product, etc., you should understand the high likelihood that you will get shut down before completion. The movie studios guard their IP and licenses very well, and will not let something slip by just because it is "too small of a project "to concern them. They will shut it down if they catch wind, therefore throwing away all the programmer's precious time spent coding a game that goes nowhere.

We aren't running you out of town with the pitchforks and torches (yet :D)...you just might benefit from getting to know the community and letting the community acclimate to you first.

• Like 6

No one is being aggressive or negative here with their comments...not that I have seen. :? Folks are being rather truthful, which you may be seeing as a negative. If you want some constructive comments, here are my suggestions:

1.) you currently have 9 posts on AtariAge...6 of them are from this thread. It might be helpful to join the community a bit...let us get to know you...then take on an ambitious project. IMHO, even if I could code worth anything, I wouldn't put in the hundreds of hours necessary for this. That's not because it sounds like a bad idea...it's because it could evaporate overnight, as could your presence here. Fly-by-nights are somewhat of a common thing on internet forums...just sayin.

2.) If you want to gain support, you need to present more than a website and a mock-up of a cart and box. You will need a solid business plan and a proven track record. As someone said earlier...try and cut your teeth on something less ambitious. Then, after you have a proven success and some credibility amongst the community, you can start speaking with folks from a well respected position.

3.) People don't like to work for free. Even if you were to offer a sum of money to complete the project, without solid references or a proven track record, no one will trust you. I have been collecting for a very long time, but I have only been here a couple of years. In my time at AA, I have seen (on numerous occasions) projects which went belly up. On some occasions, even the long standing members of AA (with a proven track record) skipped off with the pre-order money (can you say skull island??? http://www.atariage...._ skull island). Many of us here are very hesitant to trust something from a brand new member...especially if it means giving up time, money or both.

4.) There aren't tons of programmers here just waiting for ideas. IMHO, the programmers have an endless amount of ideas of their own. What they lack is the time required to execute the project and see it to completion. Just cruise around the forum for a bit and see how many homebrew projects are being worked on and how long they take to get finished on average. There was a whole thread on this subject...you should take a minute and search for it.

5.) IP. Any time you are talking about taking a licensed character, movie, product, etc., you should understand the high likelihood that you will get shut down before completion. The movie studios guard their IP and licenses very well, and will not let something slip by just because it is "too small of a project "to concern them. They will shut it down if they catch wind, therefore throwing away all the programmer's precious time spent coding a game that goes nowhere.

We aren't running you out of town with the pitchforks and torches (yet :D)...you just might benefit from getting to know the community and letting the community acclimate to you first.

First off I would like to thank you all for your comments and concerns. I know I am new to AtariAge. I can defiantly see where I could have started this off way differently than what I have done. Not really realizing how difficult it is to find a programmer, I guess I did jump the gun on this. As far as IP goes, most of the time when getting the rights to use a licensed name they want to see a fan base for the project and a final product before putting there name on it. Getting the rights is not hard, it cost money and time. I believe that this can happen. I understand where you all are coming from with trust factors. I know people have scammed a lot of Atari collectors out there. I do not want to be one of those people. I am working to hard to provide you all with real collectibles that hopefully everyone will enjoy for years to come. As far as a vanity name, I want to have a name people can respect and look at as a company that provides you with a high quality product. A name people can become familiar with in the Atari community. Eventually I want it to when people see that name they know they are getting there moneys worth and more. I am at the point with this project that I am trying my hardest to learn Batari Basic so if worse comes to worse I will program this myself. It will take a lot longer to make this happen hence why I am in search of a good solid programmer who has the knowledge already.

I would like to take this time to apologize for any misleading on my part. I would like to build a solid relationship with the AA community. I do appreciate all feedback and all of your time in checking out this post and for your time in posting.

• Like 2

I would like to take this time to apologize for any misleading on my part. I would like to build a solid relationship with the AA community. I do appreciate all feedback and all of your time in checking out this post and for your time in posting.

Welcome to the funny farm...please enjoy your stay....we play backgammon and have kool aid in the lounge area on Saturday nights. Bingo runs all day on Sundays! :D

Seriously though...there is an incredible group of people here who will give advice and assist when possible. Eventually, when you have established yourself, I believe you would find all the help you are looking for. :thumbsup:

• Like 2

Developers think in terms of billable hours. These hours would also be cutting into personal time with friends, family and other hobbies. The argument that the game must be complete before getting permission from rights holders does not stand. If you are firm on this point then I suggest doing it yourself. It can be done with BatariBASIC! We can help when you get stuck!

• Like 1

Getting the rights is not hard, it cost money and time. I believe that this can happen.

No offense, but do you know how much revenue the average homebrew generates in terms of cost vs. sales? If you count labor as billable hours, as theloon is saying, homebrews never even reach the break-even point. These are things that are done out of passion and out of love for the hobby by guys that we respect above and beyond anyone else in the Atari community. This, in itself, is great, but do you really think New Line Cinema is going to see "passion" and "love" as substitutes for dollar bills? Definitely not. There has been one homebrew to date that got licensing rights -- Boulder Dash -- and that was an incredibly expensive process, easily the most expensive portion of the development of the game. That was a small studio with a (relatively) obscure game, something as large as Freddy is not going to be something that the licensing rights will be taken lightly. Devaluation of the brand will be very close to the chest for New Line Cinema, and they will want some serious numbers as to production runs, sales, etc. before they will even consider allowing rights. For a console released in the late 70s, that's just not going to happen. A run of even 250 carts/boxes (which is a VERY generous estimate of sales) isn't even remotely scratching the tip of the iceberg in terms of what they'd be willing to do.

Thus, even if they were to allow licensing to occur, it's going to be incredibly expensive, likely easily five times more expensive than the number required to make a project like this feasible. If you are an erstwhile millionaire and want to do this as a philanthropic gesture to the Atari community, then great, I'd love to see it, but unless you have at least 5 figures to sink into something with absolutely ZERO return on investment, this project will be going nowhere fast.

• Like 2