IGNORED

EA Flats

Ed Fries

It took me about a year to put together this (what I think is) complete collection of gatefold Atari 8-bit "EA Flats". There are 23 in all. Atarimania lists 22 between games and utilities but seems to forget about "Cut & Paste". Some sites claim "Mind Mirror" exists for the Atari but after talking to some experts I believe they are mistaken. Only a few are MIB. I guess that's the next challenge for me...

post-26522-0-29728000-1350170958_thumb.jpg

• Like 5

I am Missing 4

D-Bug

Worms

Music Construction Set (Which I have in the Ariola UK clamshell case version)

Realm of Impossibility (Which I have in the Ariola UK small gatefold version)

I do have doubles of Movie Maker and Pinball Construction set, both of which are identical.

There are however a few packaging variations - there are some (Move Maker comes to mind) that have both a bi-fold and a simple sleeve type package.

Everything in the picture is a bi-fold, but I also have the sleeve type for some of them. In general these have an "EA Classics" sticker on them so I assume the sleeves are from the re-release for the classic series, but there are some exceptions. For example I have a "One on One" that is new in shrink wrap sleeve type but doesn't have the classics sticker and in the picture above you can see the "Cut & Paste" has the classics sticker but is the folding variety.

BTW I also have a catalog from EA that lists an educational title from Childware (like D-Bug and Word Flyer) for the Atari called "The Lost Lion". I assume this was never produced but if so I guess it would be a holy grail to find for a collector of these.

I love the flats, a collection like that would look beautiful up on a wall, but man that lack of a 24th drives the OCD in me nuts.

Mail Order Monsters is still one of my all-time favorite games. Talked to Paul Reiche III briefly at GDC this year and learned that he owns the IP rights now. My licensed-game design dream would be to work on a remake of the game, although I suppose Paul's sorta done that already with Skylanders.

I love the flats, a collection like that would look beautiful up on a wall, but man that lack of a 24th drives the OCD in me nuts.

You could always throw in one of the other publishers titles that came out in a gatefold ;-) maybe chessmaster or GACCRR

is Skylanders on PS3 designed by him?

Yep!

You could always throw in one of the other publishers titles that came out in a gatefold ;-) maybe chessmaster or GACCRR

Hmm, or maybe a square sheet, sized correctly, that explains the background behind the album cover releases? Then it'd work similar to a museum placard, and would be a nice bonus for interested viewers.

I was working at EA in Foster City, CA (back when they were in Foster City), I think it was in 1998 that their "Warranty" area decided it was time to stop supporting the old 8-bit games, so they dumped about 40 boxes of flat box games out in the hallway. Working in customer support at the time they practically dropped them on my desk. I should of grabbed all of them, but I didn't want to appear greedy. All in all I think I kept about 2 dozen original sealed copies. Not a ton of Atari, mostly C64/Apple ][gs.

In hind sight of should of taken at least 1 box. ah well.

I should of grabbed all of them, but I didn't want to appear greedy. All in all I think I kept about 2 dozen original sealed copies. Not a ton of Atari, mostly C64/Apple ][gs.

In hind sight of should of taken at least 1 box. ah well.

While I was working in Xbox, there were always things being thrown out or given away (particularly by marketing) that seemed unremarkable while you are living and breathing that ecosystem every day. I had to reminded myself that with my collector mentality, I might be kicking myself sometime in the far future for not grabbing stuff when it was free and new. So I grabbed everything that was offered and stashed it away. Time will tell if Xbox ever becomes collectible, but it costs only storage space to keep it for now.

Back on topic - I think it was the 2005 E3 that EA had all of their flat boxes on display on a giant mural. That's what turned me on to collecting them. I think I have them all now... Wasteland for the Apple, Word Flyer for Atari, and one of the Deluxe Music for Amiga add-on packs were hard to find.

Ed - I think I sold you Music Construction Set at SRGE. I recognize the orange sticker on the front.

I made a bunch of posters a few years ago including an EA one - I solved my similar OCD issue by inserting screen shots into the corner...

post-11281-0-71430200-1350354924_thumb.jpg

• Like 1