IGNORED

Space Rocks Label Contest

Albert

While on a routine Stellar Cartography mission, UESC Rains experienced a malfunction and warped into an asteroid field in an unknown sector of space. Unable to get a bearing to safely warp out, the ship must blast the asteroids into smithereens to prevent imminent destruction. To make matters worse, the local inhabitants are xenophobic and have sent warships and Magna-Mines to eliminate the alien (that's you!) threat.

AtariAge and homebrew author Darrell Spice, Jr. are proud to announce a label contest for the upcoming game Space Rocks! If you're a fan of the arcade games Asteroids or Asteroids Deluxe you'll love Space Rocks. While Atari released a version of Asteroids for the 2600, it pales in comparison to what Darrell Spice, Jr. has crafted in his version. Space Rocks is a 32K game that takes full advantage of our Melody Board resulting in a game that pushes the Atari 2600 hardware to its limits. The graphics, animations, and sound effects are well above what is typically experienced on the 2600.

Space Rocks Features:

• One or Two Players
  • Head-to-Head or Cooperative Two Player Modes
  • Vector or Solid graphic styles
  • Mutlicolor rocks, or choose one of 16 monochrome color themes
  • Four difficulty levels: Kids, Easy, Normal, and Hard
  • Choose Shields, Hyperspace or 180 Degree Turn when you press Down on the controller
  • Friction can be turned on or off
  • Bonus life can be set to 5K, 10K, 20K or disabled
  • Supports Gamepads and Joysticks
  • Magna-Mines can be toggled on or off

The above video will give you a good feel for Space Rocks. If you'd like to try the game yourself, you can download the latest version of Space Rocks here. You'll need the latest version of the Stella Atari 2600 Emulator to run Space Rocks. If you'd like to learn more about the game's development, you can read this ten page thread (as of this writing) in our Homebrew Discussion Forum.

The winner of the contest will receive a copy of Space Rocks in cartridge form, featuring their winning label design. The winner will also receive a $50 gift certificate in the AtariAge Store.

The contest will run until 11:59pm (CST), Sunday, November 11th, 2012 and all submissions must be received by this time!

After the contest has ended, AtariAge and Darrell Spice, Jr. will review the contest entries and select the winner.

Click Here to Enter Today!

Please feel free to ask any questions or make any comments in this thread. Good luck!

• Like 3

I can't believe it's been a year since the Boulder Dash label contest. I think I'll have to enter this one too. There must be something about large, menacing rocks that attracts me to label contests. :lol:

OK, I guess I'll go first.

The SpiceWare logo reminded me of the Activision logo, so I basically created the box/label for Space Rocks as a homage to the old Activision boxes.

Cartridge Label and End Label:

aBL9K.jpg

Box (Front and Back):

Kx86M.jpg

holAm.jpg

-B

Edited by Brian O
  • Like 13

I like how you show the two major screenshots on the box, one of the menu system (which is truly state-of-the-art on the VCS) and one of playfield. But I would fix the second screenshot. Show some large rocks and perhaps small rocks on the same screen. It looks boring as it is right now. The large and small rocks will help show progression through the level. Saucer could be nice too. But maybe leave out the mines, that's like a surprise!

But the box art really looks nice and it seems to come together smoothly. Maybe some other folks will suggest other changes. But I'm satisfied with it now, apart from the not-busy-enough screenie #2.

Edited by Keatah
  • Like 1

ohh, the font is nice and the colors are balanced and vivid. Not too busy either. It does indeed capture the essence of what's going on in the game. I wouldn't go tweaking anything beyond the screenshot.

By the way, I never liked Activision boxes any more or less than Atari boxes for example.

• Like 1

OK, I guess I'll go first.

The SpiceWare logo reminded me of the Activision logo, so I basically created the box/label for Space Rocks as a homage to the old Activision boxes.

Cartridge Label and End Label:

aBL9K.jpg

Box (Front and Back):

Kx86M.jpg

holAm.jpg

-B

Awesome - I know who to call on when I need box and art labels for my titles! Gets my vote.

I'm thinking future titles are going to be even more CPU assisted. The benefits are numerous. It's less tedious to program, and game complexity is going to increase. And we've already got the infrastructure in place with Harmony/Melody and Stella. The ARM cpu has been tested in the VCS environment, it works. And it is being produced today.

Much like the Apple 2 series had the Transwarp and Titan accelerators, the PC a GPU, 680x0 add-ons for the Amiga; Well why not the VCS? It seems to be a natural progression. Soon enough we'll be doing FMV and .mp3 decoding.