IGNORED

Pitfall Source Code Poster

Brian O

Here's something new I've been working on — the Pitfall source code poster. I thought I'd share it w/ you all and get your thoughts.

What I have done is taken the source code from Pitfall (the version disassembled by Thomas Jentzsch), and used it to recreate the Pitfall Harry running sprite from the game. I have done this for two other posters: Halo 2600 and Berzerk.

Here's the poster:

Jfdz4.jpg

Here's a close up:

w1DwT.png

The poster, as it currently stands, is 36" wide x 24" tall. But because there's so much code, the code copy is only ~ 7 point. The only edits I made to the source code was to reduce the number of comment dashes/equal signs so that they were uniform throughout. I also took slight liberties with the colors to increase visibility/legibility. It's still a little rough, but it should be final soon.

-B

• Like 7

Are we free to print these if we like? I'd like to make a full set at work on photo paper and frame 'em. :)

In fact, if you'd like, Monkey Labs would be more than happy to take on distribution and framing, order fulfillment, etc. for you. If you're interested send a PM my way -- I can use our large format HP printer at my Office Depot store, and printing is quite reasonable.

• Like 1

Hey Cebus. Feel free to print them up for yourself. I'll send you the raw files in a PM tomorrow.

Re printing, distribution, etc, I'd definitely like to rope Al into any discussion since he was planning on selling the Halo poster in the AA store at some point. I honestly hadn't given much thought lately to selling these, but that sounds like an awesome deal :)

I'll send a note to you and Al first thing.

Thanks again!

B

• Like 1

It's like 2 pt font. super tiny. you can read it but you gotta get right up to it.

They have other ones.

Wuthering Heights is my next one.

http://postertext.co...thering-heights

postertext-wuthering-heights-4.png?w=448&h=298

I'd love the pitfall one for my game room if it ever becomes available

Edited by godzillajoe
  • Like 1

Have you considered increasing the font size of the word Berzerk on that poster or decreasing the font size on the word Pitfall? I think a more uniform font size on the game titles would make them appear more "series like".

I really like the concept. Maybe "River Raid" with the code forming the canyon walls?

Really cool art!

• Like 1

Have you considered increasing the font size of the word Berzerk on that poster or decreasing the font size on the word Pitfall? I think a more uniform font size on the game titles would make them appear more "series like".

I really like the concept. Maybe "River Raid" with the code forming the canyon walls?

Really cool art!

I removed the names all together. Not sure if this works for everyone or not. The posters now just show the source code/sprite. Going to change the background color on either the Adventure or Berzerk one so that all 4 have different backgrounds. Trying to match to the in-game graphics, which is challenging. Also, some sprites fit the dimensions better than others. For instance, the dragon in the Adventure poster needs to be taller than the Master Chief sprite. And the Pitfall Harry sprite is wider than it is taller, which works better on a horizontal layout.

Rx8sj.jpg

Let me know your thoughts.

Thanks,

-B

• Like 1

More simple, now they just cut to the chase. Good design.

Have you tried a black background on Pitfall Harry? That might work too.

The black background (although not game accurate) on the dragon looks sharp next to the Berzerk robot.

If Pitfall Harry were on the top of maybe say a rattlesnake, would the rattlesnake give you enough of a space to shrink Harry a little bit, and move to a vertical format?

(or gold bar)

I dunno, on one hand I like the idea of a game accurate color palate, but the black background really lets the sprite do the talking.

More simple, now they just cut to the chase. Good design.

Have you tried a black background on Pitfall Harry? That might work too.

The black background (although not game accurate) on the dragon looks sharp next to the Berzerk robot.

If Pitfall Harry were on the top of maybe say a rattlesnake, would the rattlesnake give you enough of a space to shrink Harry a little bit, and move to a vertical format?

(or gold bar)

I dunno, on one hand I like the idea of a game accurate color palate, but the black background really lets the sprite do the talking.

That's a thought. I could go with black backgrounds for the Adventure, Berzerk, and Pitfall posters, and just keep the light gray for the Halo version. I am also planning on doing a Donkey Kong poster (using the jumping Mario sprite — in progress now), which would also be on black. I can't use black for the Halo poster because the black bands on the sprite would look disappear against a black background.

One more edit: I want to keep it to one sprite per poster. The bigger I can make the sprite, the more room it allots for the source copy. I don't want the font to be too small. The Adventure type is already at 7pt.

-B

Edited by Brian O

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Here are the 5 current source code posters [Halo 2600, Berzerk, Adventure, Pitfall, and Donkey Kong]:

XjqKd.jpg

I am toying with doing one for Combat as well. The Tank sprite may look pretty nice on a poster. Unfortunately I'm limited to only games that 1) Have disassembly code available and 2) have a recognizable sprite with enough real estate to accommodate/hold the code.

-B

• Like 2