IGNORED

CBS Victory for Colecovision

ed1475

I recently got a CBS Victory cartridge and it has the released quarks, paratroopers, and scouts that are missing from the US version of the game. I could only find the US rom on the internet so I made a CBS Victory rom and posted it here. The extra enemies really makes a big difference in gameplay. I also recorded a short gameplay video.

CBSvictory.zip

post-13580-0-50876700-1351959198_thumb.jpgpost-13580-0-20388300-1351959241_thumb.jpg

post-13580-0-93074700-1351959226_thumb.jpgpost-13580-0-87470700-1351959213_thumb.jpg

http://youtu.be/bP7un8xVfjU

Edited by ed1475
  • Like 5

Thanks for the rom dump Ed. I've been meaning to pick-up a cart of the CBS release to dump as well and now you have saved me some time and money. :thumbsup:

BTW, I think that you could be on to something hear, that is, we should take it upon ourselves to get Good Dumps of all the CBS releases and make them available for everyone. I don't think there are any other games with differences between the USA release and CBS release, but you never know unless the effort is put forth to find out.

We can even start a special thread were everything can be stored for the ages here on AtariAge for everyone's benefit. I'll even get the ball rolling later tonight with dumps of Carnival, Looping and Mouse Trap... unfortunately those are the only CBS releases in my collection. What I propose, also, is to include the cart label serial # and the box serial # (if the dumper has it available) to make as complete a reference as possible on these CBS releases. It would also be nice if the thread could be handled by one of the Moderators on here so that all the rom dumps could be placed in the first post to make life easier for everyone to obtain the dumps.

Edited by NIAD
  • Like 1

one thought on naming convensions, would it be possible to try and use the same name as the non cbs cart and add cbs to the end? that way it would make it easier to find on a multi cart:

DK

DKCBS

or I guess I could just create a CBS folder???

thanks,

Charles

Thanks for the rom dump Ed. I've been meaning to pick-up a cart of the CBS release to dump as well and now you have saved me some time and money. :thumbsup:

BTW, I think that you could be on to something hear, that is, we should take it upon ourselves to get Good Dumps of all the CBS releases and make them available for everyone. I don't think there are any other games with differences between the USA release and CBS release, but you never know unless the effort is put forth to find out.

We can even start a special thread were everything can be stored for the ages here on AtariAge for everyone's benefit. I'll even get the ball rolling later tonight with dumps of Carnival, Looping and Mouse Trap... unfortunately those are the only CBS releases in my collection. What I propose, also, is to include the cart label serial # and the box serial # (if the dumper has it available) to make as complete a reference as possible on these CBS releases. It would also be nice if the thread could be handled by one of the Moderators on here so that all the rom dumps could be placed in the first post to make life easier for everyone to obtain the dumps.

That sounds great, Jim. It's not a CBS release but I noticed there are 2 roms available for Sector Alpha (by Spectravideo) on the internet and they both have corrupted graphics on the bottom half of the playfield. I recently got a Sector Alpha cartridge and copied it but the bottom half of the playfield graphics were also corrputed. So it would be nice to get a good dump of that game if its possible.

Edited by ed1475

one thought on naming convensions, would it be possible to try and use the same name as the non cbs cart and add cbs to the end? that way it would make it easier to find on a multi cart:

DK

DKCBS

or I guess I could just create a CBS folder???

thanks,

Charles

Same file renamed VictoryCBS

VictoryCBS.zip

Edited by ed1475
  • Like 1

I was not aware of the difference between Victory roms so thanks ed1475 for that info and the rom.

I am a CBS collector (English and multilingual boxes) and have, I believe, most if not all of the CBS carts (I badly need to update my list of what I have). I also have a cart dumper :)

I'm willing to take on the task of dumping all of my CBS carts and comparing against the US and Public Domain roms if someone else can take care of finding a place for them to be shared from.

• Like 5

Ed, can you provide the Label # that is on the cart. I think it is 4L4065, but just need to verify. Also, if you have the box, can you provide the Box # that is on the back at the lower/right corner just above the big CBS Electronics logo.

Label # 4L4065

Box # 74-359C

So far Victory is the only CBS cart I've collected.

Thanks for the info. :thumbsup:

I'm on the fence as to collecting the CBS releases for a number of reasons such as the sheer number of variations of each game although I would probably stick with the English/UK releases, the extra expense to ship from oversees seeing as they don't show up too much CIB on this side of the big pond, so many other things to buy, etc., etc. Maybe down the road when I need something else to keep myself busy with, I will turn my attention to the CBS releases.

I'll post the Victory rom in the new thread I started for CBS dumps.

• 4 weeks later...

I have registered for the sole purpose of thanking Mr. Moonsweeper for finally posting this. I've been waiting for ten years for this to happen, and was starting to think the only way this rom would ever appear was if I tracked down someone with rom-dumping capabilities myself. It's just so much better than the other release that it's like an entirely different game, and it's a shame it's been rotting away in obscurity all this time.

• 1 year later...

That sounds great, Jim. It's not a CBS release but I noticed there are 2 roms available for Sector Alpha (by Spectravideo) on the internet and they both have corrupted graphics on the bottom half of the playfield. I recently got a Sector Alpha cartridge and copied it but the bottom half of the playfield graphics were also corrputed. So it would be nice to get a good dump of that game if its possible.

Resurrecting an old thread (the reason will become clear later this coming week). I have tested out a dump of Sector Alpha that I recently did and the graphics for the lower half of the landscape are indeed wrong as ed1475 highlighted. Playing the actual cart on real hardware shows the terrain (lower half of the landscape) as having a black or blue background covered in either blue or pink dots. However, playing the dumped rom on either blueMSX or using an Atarimax SD cart on real hardware, the lower landscape is shown as just solid pink. This is a real problem to play because the pink target graphics cannot be seen on the pink background.

Any thoughts on why this may be? Possible solutions?

Do the Spectravideo carts contain standard DIP PROMS? If so, then I would be willing to sacrifice a cart, open it up, desolder the PROM(s) and dump the individual PROM(s) using an EPROM reader. But only IF others thought that this would eliminate the problem.

Appreciate any help.

• Like 1

Just wondering if it is really necessary to open up a cart and desoldering the PROM(s) in order to dump versus just using the AtariMax Dumper. I haven't testing this game out myself, but does the AtariMax Dumper yield a corrupted dump as well? I know there were numerous BAD DUMPS of this game floating around for years and most were probably made with an ADAM with cart dump software that really was not up to snuff.

Just wondering if it is really necessary to open up a cart and desoldering the PROM(s) in order to dump versus just using the AtariMax Dumper. I haven't testing this game out myself, but does the AtariMax Dumper yield a corrupted dump as well? I know there were numerous BAD DUMPS of this game floating around for years and most were probably made with an ADAM with cart dump software that really was not up to snuff.

The dump I tested was from a recent dump using the AtariMax Dumper.