IGNORED

7800 HSC Season 5 - Game 17 !Desert Falcon!

JacobZu7zu7

Atari 7800 HSC Season 5 Game 17

Desert Falcon

g02872n6dln.jpg

Game Information

Game Name: Desert Falcon

Released by: Atari 1987

7800 HSC High Score: N/A

Settings: Advanced

Manual: http://www.atariage....wareLabelID=683

Bonus

Play the setting Expert, top three scores earn bonus points [+4] [+3] [+2]

Any remaining Expert scores get [+1] participation point.

Set a new HSC record for [+1] point

(Includes the Bonus challenge!)

Contest Ends

MONDAY (extra day), November 19th at 11:59PM EST

(Expert) Bonus Scores

1. 491,762 oyamafamily [+4+1]

2. 151,688 Liduario [+3]

3. 129,476 Mord [+2]

4. 46,610 roadrunner [+1]

5. 18,460 JacobZu7zu7 [+1]

High Scores

1. 447,490 oyamafamily [+10+1]

2. 108,118 Liduario [+9]

3. 94,088 JacobZu7zu7 [+8]

4. 86,880 Mord [+6]

5. 37,683 atomickneedrop [+5]

6. 19,484 roadrunner [+4]

Rankings

1. Liduario [225] (14) 8 +AP +OP

2. oyamafamily [220] (15) 11

3. roadrunner [126] (14) 1

4. Jifremok [113] (12) 1 1

5. JacobZu7zu7 [105] (15)

6. twoquickcapri [98] (10)

7. patbb [62] (6)

8. jblenkle [62] (16)

9. Gorfy [60] [9] 1

10. atomickneedrop [52] (5)

11. skosh [45] (5) 1

12. NIKON [40] (3) 2

13. Atarifever [33] (5)

14. SpiceWare [23] (3) 1

15. LarcenTyler [22] (3*)

16. Mayhem [13] (1)

17. Propane13 [11] (1) 1

18. Mord [8] (1)

19. thursday83 [8] (2)

20. Gamer__X [6] (2)

21. peedenmark7 [4] (1)

22. GM1982 [3] (1)

22. SINGLE TOOTH [3] (1)

24. chuckwalla [2] (2)

25. darrin9999 [1] (1)

25. Cebus Capucinis [1] (1)

25. bigbee99 [1] (1)

[ ] = Points

( ) = Rounds Played

GREEN = Games Won

GOLD = Seasons Won

Sneak Preview,

Next game is *Fatal Run*

DesertFalcon.a78

Edited by JacobZu7zu7

Did an idle attempt on expert. Haven't really played this game since the last time it came up in the HSC although the strategies quickly came back.

post-4460-0-55303800-1353149757_thumb.png

1. If you're moving ahead willingly, you're losing points.

2. Be careful you don't shoot the gems. (Only time you should advance quickly is if you see a gem to collect.)

3. Make use of structures to block enemies that try to come in from the side.

4. Don't shoot too fast - or you'll find you won't have a bullet to fire when you really need it.

5. The enemies will attack in a predictable sequence of waves, repeating infinitely until the stage is over. It's safer to move forward during some than others.

6. The water is one of the safest places to be - most (but not all) enemies will fly over you, and the land crawling ones won't enter it.

7. I noticed that the max bonus seems to roll over. You might want to keep this in mind as you near the end of a stage.

Edited by Mord
  • Like 1

A video to illustrate some points made in an earlier post by Mord

Played on expert setting

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jPEh_2kGilE&feature=youtu.be

1. If you're moving ahead willingly, you're losing points.

***************************************************************************************

I do not see how you lose points by moving forward.....as you can see in the video I do not lose a single point moving forward

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

6. The water is one of the safest places to be - most (but not all) enemies will fly over you, and the land crawling ones won't enter it.

***************************************************************************************************************************************************************

As you will see in the video this is not a completely true statement..best example would be at the 3:19 mark of the video when a ewe comes out of the water...and then again at the end when I am killed by a ewe coming out of the water.

7. I noticed that the max bonus seems to roll over. You might want to keep this in mind as you near the end of a stage.

**********************************************************************************************

This happens at 6:06 mark of the video

Edited by NIKON

The comment regarding moving forward "losing points" isn't literal. Basically the faster you fly through the level, the faster you will reach the higher stages where things can get less forgiving. (Particularly with fewer ideal places to hide from the enemies) You're losing points you could have been making by taking your time.

With the water, you're right, although I consider this more a problem with the collision detection in the game so it's a good idea to stay away from the shore as well most of the time.

Even in your video in #35, you were advancing faster than I probably would have bothered myself. In expert there's so many waves of enemies that home in on you that it can be fairly easy to crush them all with minimal movement. At that point you just find a well defensible position and stay there as long as you can. For instance where you were at 6:27 is a very good defensible location.I would have stayed there as long as I could, just shooting between the pyramids while staying as close to the lower one as possible (to encourage those trying to fly in from that direction to slam into it.) After that it would just be a matter of watching out for the few things that manage to sneak in from the side (Stay far enough away from the water's shore tho of course)

Unfortunately, I don't have any way to record my gameplay. My emulator in use is Prosystem which DOESN'T have the special feature called "MOVIE".

The technique shown on video available on Post #35 of this topic is like my own technique. On later waves (many enemies on the screen), I stayed behind the structures (pyramids, pots, Mini-Sphinx etc.) to prevent against collisions, but in some moments, I moved foward in the air, in order to focus on killing Sphinx and collecting many treasures on Bonus Rounds. Also, I avoided staying behind the structures on the water, which is not effective for me to avoid many collisions.

If you note that the emulator I am using in that video is ProSystem... the same one you state that you are using. The program I am using to make the video is called A Tube Catcher which has a screen record feature that is super easy to use...and best of all the program is free.

http://atube-catcher.dsnetwb.com/video/

I then upload the video to You Tube.. again free...then copy and paste the link in a post.

Total time it took me to make that video .. including putting in my own music.. 45 minutes due to the file size and music data.

The comment regarding moving forward "losing points" isn't literal. Basically the faster you fly through the level, the faster you will reach the higher stages where things can get less forgiving. (Particularly with fewer ideal places to hide from the enemies) You're losing points you could have been making by taking your time.

With the water, you're right, although I consider this more a problem with the collision detection in the game so it's a good idea to stay away from the shore as well most of the time.

Even in your video in #35, you were advancing faster than I probably would have bothered myself. In expert there's so many waves of enemies that home in on you that it can be fairly easy to crush them all with minimal movement. At that point you just find a well defensible position and stay there as long as you can. For instance where you were at 6:27 is a very good defensible location.I would have stayed there as long as I could, just shooting between the pyramids while staying as close to the lower one as possible (to encourage those trying to fly in from that direction to slam into it.) After that it would just be a matter of watching out for the few things that manage to sneak in from the side (Stay far enough away from the water's shore tho of course)

I was following this rule of gameplay

Rule #6. Please do not abuse bugs in the games!

Many Atari games have loopholes that allow you to easily get huge amounts of points without much work

(An example of such "point scumming" in Asteroids, you can eliminate all but one small asteroid,

and then "hunt" UFO's without the level ending), or finish the game while skipping alot of the actual

content. Not only do these result in somewhat bogus high scores, but it ruins the fun and challenge of the game in the process.

I'll try to point out "forbidden" tactics as i become aware of them,

but if you happen to stumble across one that i was not aware of, please let me know!

(Note: If a bug is proven to exist partway through the contest, existing scores may be removed if it can be proven that they have exploited the bug even if it was not intentional. If you have triggered the bug accidentally,

i would urge you to voluntarily remove your score and post a new one.)