IGNORED

Your favorite SNES games and why

sega_SHARK

I just picked up a Supaboy, and I'm starting to look around for some games. So far I have the Star Wars trilogy, Super Mario All Stars, and Nobunga's Ambition. Zelda, Metroid, and Castlevania IV are on the list of must haves, along with Mortal Kombat 2. I'm also confused as to what version of Street Fighter is the best.

Does anybody else have recommendations for SNES games?

I could just keep Google searching SNES top ten lists, but I'm curious as to what the forum members think.

It sounds like you have the basics covered. Don't forget Super Mario World. Yoshi's Island is outstanding. I'll think of more when I've had more caffeine. As far as which version of Street Fighter II to get, I would recommend Turbo. Super SFII feels like such a downgrade in graphics and audio that it's not worth the trade-off of having four new characters. I still have a soft spot for the original, too. You can't play as the bosses in that one, though.

I always liked "Pilot Wings". It probably has something to do with playing a demo in a store. But also, it "feels" more like a computer game than a quarter-swallowing video game. It has a fairly slow pace and rewards you with new challenges as you complete various levels of proficiency...

• Like 1

If you enjoyed the original Punch Out! then Super Punch Out! is a given. Its a really nice graphical upgrade and the new characters are fun to figure out as well (plus there are some old favorites).

The time trial mode gives the game a lot of replay value. You can spend hours trying to beat your best times for all of the fighters.

"Secret of Mana" is in my top three SNES games along with Metroid and Zelda. I can play through those games over and over and they're always a blast.

"Actraiser" is unique and well worth playing despite being so short.

If you like shooters then check out "Axelay".

I enjoyed the first two "Donkey Kong Country" games especially the second one. The third is just more of the same, and gets too frustrating. I can't get past the stage with the lightning crashes.

DKC series: I like them all. 2+3 have more replay value but I have nostalgia for the first.

Star Fox 2: They took the first one to an all new level with free roaming environments, the ability to turn into a mech, and an impressive amount of texture mapping.

Street Fighter 2: Turbo has more characters and more speech. Some level are a little different. Both versions are good.

Pilot Wings: A flight sim that takes advantage of SNES's Mode 7 ability. Very fun and can be quite challenging. Thankfully it can save your progress.

Mega Man X2: Impressive graphics thanks to an extra processor in the cart.

Michael Jordan - Chaos in the Windy City: Completely overlooked platformer with varied power-ups and interesting level design.

Super Mario World: One of the better games in the series, and the parallax is impressive.

Starfox: The polygonal graphics are a little dated, but Nintendo's creative use of the various animal characters along with the in-game conversations make this a must own title for SNES.

Donkey Kong Country: This game, along with its sequels, has to be one of the most impressive (and fun) games from the entire 16-bit era.

Chrono Trigger: Expensive, but a game that will keep you occupied for days on end.

There's a lot of great games for the system, but my personal favs, in no order:

Super Mario World, Pilotwings, F-Zero, Castlevania IV, Gradius 3, TMNT 4: Turtles in Time, Contra 3: The Alien Wars, SimCity, Actriser, SoulBlazer, anything made by Koei, Super Punch Out, Super Metroid, Harvest Moon, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy 4 and 6 (known as 2 and 3 on the SNES), Ninja Gaiden Triliogy, and Starfox.

These are some of my top SNES favorites:

Super Castlevania IV: Castlevania in all its glory, brought fully into the then-new 16-bit era. It's basically comprised of traditional, linear Castlevania gameplay, but the motto here must have been "just add MOOOOREE!". Because that's exactly what they did here. From the huge sprites, to the extremely detailed environments, to the greater flexibility in movement, to the symphonic soundtrack, to the gates rising on the first stage, to the mix of Mode 7, all the way to the epic final boss rush, there is simply more of everything here. To me it's an incredible game, and still to this day one of my all-time favorites. I go back and play it at least once or twice a year.

Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts: This falls into a similar category for me as Super Castlevania IV. It took the tried-and-true gameplay of Ghosts 'n Goblins and Ghouls 'n Ghosts, and expanded on it. Great visuals, a great soundtrack, and a nice variety of traditional 2D visuals meshed with Mode 7 trickery makes it a really well done game. There is a lot of slowdown, but that never bothered me.

Demon's Crest: The third game in the "Gargoyle's Quest" series. It's an action game first and foremost, but it's somewhat non-linear as well. Eerie visuals, a beautiful yet haunting soundtrack, and a good amount of secrets and endings make it worth playing through multiple times.

Super Metroid: Whenever I load this game up, I still have the tendency to stare at it in awe. It holds up so well on a visual front, and in some cases you may wonder if it's really just a SNES game. From a gameplay perspective, Super Metroid is the perfection of the formula.

On a side note, be sure to look up a compatibility list for your SupaBoy to make sure you don't buy a game that doesn't function with it.

Edited by Austin

UN Squadron - Great balanced shooter that breaks from the space motif when everything was in space. Capcom wasn't pushing shooters at the time but did produce one heck of a gem with this one. Upgradeable ships, special weapons, and colorful, stimulating graphics. The only loss from the arcade original was 2 player mode, but Capcom had that problem with Final Fight as well.

Sim City - The only version of Sim City I ever got into. Very accessible and addictive!

Super Mario World - I still can't decide if this or 3 is better! Nintendo's shining example of what a platformer should be.

• Like 1

My favorite imports:

Tactics Ogre

I found myself talking about this one again tonight in the company of friends, as it had an incredible effect on me.

Where many games talk about "mature" being the presence of boobs, blood or poop, Tactics Ogre is something special. It's a 'You've been f'd over by everybody no matter what you do' simulator. Grow up and accept the plight of a perfectly good hero in a political world. It's from the makers of Final Fantasy Tactics on psx, and there is actually a common art style. But FFT was a happy walk through a field full of flowers on giant birds, while this is a world full of misery and despair that changed the way I look at the world. It's not enjoyable or fun, but it's the unique take on the situation that makes it worth playing.

There are very few games that are 100% worth playing even though they're really no fun. It's a common theme in 'favorite' movies though. I've never finished the game--probably because I would have just killed myself in their places. I can't imagine that it really worked out for them.

Edited by Reaperman

There are very few games that are 100% worth playing even though they're really no fun. It's a common theme in 'favorite' movies though. I've never finished the game--probably because I would have just killed myself in their places. I can't imagine that it really worked out for them.

Do you know if the PlayStation version is more or less the same in regards to the story? Your description has me intrigued.

If not, then I am guessing there are translated ROMs out there of the Super Famicom game that I can try.

Edited by Austin

Do you know if the PlayStation version is more or less the same in regards to the story? Your description has me intrigued.

If not, then I am guessing there are translated ROMs out there of the Super Famicom game that I can try.

I don't know about the psx version, but what I played of the psp version was about the same (granted with slightly lighter language than the super famicom fan translation). I like the sfc version since it pushes the system to what I had assumed required psx hardware.

At some point in the past, I seem to recall hearing some complaints about the psx version's ability to save games.

Edited by Reaperman