IGNORED

Sega is Shutting Down YouTube Channels with Shining Series content

Dr Manhattan

Sega is not deleting videos of their new game Shining Ark but of videos for the old shining games Shining Force 3 and, probably more importantly, Shining The Holy Ark. Due to the similar names, you get more results for their old games than you get for the new game when searching on YouTube. This is something they want to stop, since they apparently regard YouTube as an important part of their marketing, but don't care for neither the old Shining games nor the fanbase of these games -- to the point that they would rather destroy the work of these passionate hardcore fans.

I love youtube and I think it's one of the greatest reporting tools ever created. That's why I felt the need to share this important information, as I'm sure some of you may have cotent related to the Shining Series on your channels. Some people haven't even received a warning, they were just hit with multiple copyright strikes and the had their channels shut down.

I have removed all Shining Series content from our channel and I am considering removing ALL Sega related content from all of my YouTube channels. I see this as an attack on both the loyal fans of this series and on YouTube itself. As far as I am concerned Sega no longer has my support, and I regret purchasing Sonic All-Stars Racing and will think twice about purchasing another Sega title.

More information at this link: http://www.neogaf.co...ad.php?t=501616

Edited by Dr Manhattan

The sad thing about it is that they have no intention of localizing this game for an outside Japan audience. So they're just doing this out of spite.

Extra note: When I search for Shining Ark, most of my results are for Super Mario Sunshine. I wonder if they've sent notices to the people posting those videos.

Edited by Gabriel

Ooh! Ooh! Better yet, how about the retro gaming community start making torrents of our Let's Play videos???? We could put up promo videos about them on youtube, then give links to our torrents of our videos in the description? Our video series could all become very widespread that way, for those of us who are actually good at making them. Then all you have to do is make sure you seed your own torrent.

Edited by TheGameCollector

Isn't this against a few laws?

If its a walkthrough or a LP or a review, wouldn't it be covered under the fair use laws? And then there is censorship if you are talking and explaining during the video (your original works).

They can't just do this care free. How about quoting your local laws they are breaking in the video description if they try to remove your content.

This has always been why I hated YouTube after Google took over, this is why I have been a supporter in ditching YouTube in favor of another host that don't pull these stunts. It seems like they can remove or disable your video/sound for whatever reason they want and ignoring the laws that are there to protect from such actions.

Edited by madmax2069
  • Like 1

Isn't this against a few laws?

If its a walkthrough or a LP or a review, wouldn't it be covered under the fair use laws? And then there is censorship if you are talking and explaining during the video (your original works).

They can't just do this care free. How about quoting your local laws they are breaking in the video description if they try to remove your content.

This has always been why I hated YouTube after Google took over, this is why I have been a supporter in ditching YouTube in favor of another host that don't pull these stunts. It seems like they can remove or disable your video/sound for whatever reason they want and ignoring the laws that are there to protect from such actions.

Keep in mind that the internet is a worldwide entity. A company based in Japan does not need to concern itself with such things as free speech protected by the US Constitution. Provisions of international laws apply here, although I'm no expert in this field.

This is actually an interesting twist to the ongoing development of the internet. Search engines are programmed to return the most relevant information based on given keywords, and those engines (Google, YouTube, etc.) have been collecting statistical data about relevancy for many years. So what happens when a totally new product emerges which uses search keywords that are already strongly linked to past relevant information which is known to be more desirable to users than this new product?

Which has greater right? The company who created the new product which is being unfairly shut out by search engines, or the end users of these search engine, who don't care about the new product and are 99% more likely to seek out the legacy information? The more the end users seek the legacy info, the more any new info will be shut out because of a deficit in relevancy.

Very interesting... This kind of thing may go to court some day, if it hasn't already. :)

They can be pricks about it and of course Youtube can easily shrug their shoulders and leave it up to the end user and the mega corporation:

http://fairuse.stanford.edu/Copyright_and_Fair_Use_Overview/chapter9/

http://socialtimes.com/fair-use-youtube_b61891

http://www.youtube.com/t/copyright_permissions

You can judge for yourself if you have a case against them or not.

There was this completely original GI Joe action figure paraody series that was similarly taken down by Hasbro, but check it out. It lives on today in the form of torrent.

http://thepiratebay.se/torrent/3665381/Banned_Robot_Chicken_like_show_ft._GI_Joe__Star_Wars__Harry_Pott

See what I'm saying? We have copyright laws in the USA that protect us under fair use, we can create torrents of any kind of video we want (except illegal activity itself) and legally host them on torrent sites. We could in effect make use of torrents in a legal way (which is a rare thing to do), rather than using it illegally. And the copyright complaints can't hit us there. Torrents cannot be flagged for removal. We could still use youtube videos to update our fans telling them we've moved but you can get our stuff "here". It might even be more effective because our youtube videos would then be very short, which on youtube means successful in most cases.

I'm going to do it. I've spent too much time recording gaming footage to just keep it to myself to look at. I'm going to edit it and put it out there where everyone can access it, but where companies can't touch my work. Nostalgia Critic and AVGN + Mike even do movie reviews where they show the actual footage. If they can do that, we can as well. Reviews should always fall under fair use as they are used to educate.

If this became a trend, people who make youtube poop videos could even do whatever they want without losing their work.

Fair use only matters if you're hosting the content. Google has no obligation to host your files, and if they get a C&D, they will obey it just to avoid trouble.

Torrenting is a great idea. In fact, it's even better than YouTube. If you put together a good torrent, chances are it will be preserved on many hard drives around the world. If you host a series on YouTube, you have a copy, YouTube has a copy, and a few individuals might download a copy with something like DownloadHelper. That's basically asking to be forgotten by history.