IGNORED

upgrading mame

rushguy

Is it worth upgrading since i have a ton of roms from my own set? Has a lot changed?

I don't know, depends how much you want to fuck around with it. Has a lot changed? I'd say a lot of things behind the scenes have changed. Remember as the mame code bloats up and ages it slows down like a wheezing fat ass. You will find that many of the earlier games run quicker in older version of mame than in newer versions. Why not try an experiment, download the latest version and see for yourself! Test out a few games and see how you like it. See how many roms transfer over. See if you like the UI tweaks and changes.

I'm happy to stick with 0.68 for the bulk of my games. And as I discover newer ones, or ones that have been fixed I move them over to 0.147. Since I only jam about 200 games I don't worry about rom sets. If something is working to my satisfaction I leave it. But I always, from time to time, check out the new stuff to stay up-to-date.

These are good resources to help U de-side!

http://www.mameworld...hreads.php?Cat=

http://mamedev.org/oldrel.html

http://www.mameworld.info/

http://unmamed.mameworld.info/

Edited by Keatah

I had some version of MAME on my old computer, but it probably won't work on my newer 64-bit computer, so I'm giving up on MAME. There's no way I'm going to spend all of that time tracking down ROMs again and jumping through flaming hoops. For example, I'm not clicking a vote button twice for every damn ROM. Too bad there's not some offshore, international waters web site where all of the latest ROMs are in one zip file.

• Like 1

I had some version of MAME on my old computer, but it probably won't work on my newer 64-bit computer, so I'm giving up on MAME. There's no way I'm going to spend all of that time tracking down ROMs again and jumping through flaming hoops. For example, I'm not clicking a vote button twice for every damn ROM. Too bad there's not some offshore, international waters web site where all of the latest ROMs are in one zip file.

You can get complete sets in one fell swoop, from torrent / newzgroup / FTP. I run a fairly recent complete set on my Win7 64bit desktop perfectly.

I'm not clicking a vote button twice for every damn ROM. Too bad there's not some offshore, international waters web site where all of the latest ROMs are in one zip file.

Thanks. I don't use newzgroups.

So you won't use something totally safe for roms like usenet [alt.binaries.emualtors.mame] but you are willing go to a sketchy website run from "offshore, international waters" where you have to click once at minimum for each individual rom - BTW the complete rom set is over 12GB "zip" there is no "one zip file".

Rather mind-boggling but the loss is only yours so whatev's

P.S. With a decent new provider and 25/5 connection even a complete mame flood can be DL'd in about 2-2.5 hours. Plenty of decent NNTP GUI clients to choose from if you are not technically inclined.

Edited by JL
  • Like 1

So you won't use something totally safe for roms like usenet [alt.binaries.emualtors.mame] but you are willing go to a sketchy website run from "offshore, international waters" where you have to click once at minimum for each individual rom . . .

I started using the Internet near the end of 1999. I didn't start with Compuserve, then graduate through the levels over the years up to the normal, easy-to-use web sites we have today. I don't know how to use that old weird stuff. How do I know that alt.binaries.emualtors.mame (whatever that is) is any safer than anything else out there? How is alt.binaries.emualtors.mame not sketchy? You can't access it without special software and a secret Illuminati handshake. Sounds sketchy to me.

BTW the complete rom set is over 12GB "zip" there is no "one zip file".

Then make it more than one zip file. Whatever works. It would still be better than clicking on each file separately.

Rather mind-boggling but the loss is only yours so whatev's

It's rather mind-boggling that people are still using old, crusty, hard-to-use weird stuff instead of normal, easy-to-use web sites.

P.S. With a decent new provider and 25/5 connection even a complete mame flood can be DL'd in about 2-2.5 hours. Plenty of decent NNTP GUI clients to choose from if you are not technically inclined.

I don't know what a 25/5 connection is or what a NNTP GUI client is.

uTorrent is a very easy program to use cause all you do is open it up and click on torrent files you find on the internet to open them. Whoever can't figure out how to run that probably can't figure out how to use iTunes, MSPaint, or a word processor.

Does that mean you recommend uTorrent over the others listed here:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_BitTorrent_clients

The program installed fine. I also installed the latest version of MAME. Looks like you have to go to some shady web sites to find the torrents, though.

Not REALLY. Google KICK ASS TORRENTS. The 1st result is really the only torrent hub you need.

For classic gaming the best is Underground Gamer however that is invite only and I have not had invites to give out in ages sorry.

Just a tip, you need not Google things like MAME TORRENT 147, once on a decent torrent hub/site you simply search from there and use normal search terms "MAME 147" etc. Torrent simply refers to the distribution system for files and is not really applicable in the search, that is like searching "MAME .ZIP ARCHIVE 147".

Once your Torrent client is installed (your fine with uTorrent I use it also) once on torrent sites clicking on torrents will now open the default client.

Anyway, good luck in using this method of obtaining files. OH and let me just add FYI I got into torrents as I was just to dumb to do Newsgroup / FTP etc, so I was not bragging, if I can figure out the torrent thing anyone can.

Edited by OldSchoolRetroGamer
  • Like 2

Not REALLY. Google KICK ASS TORRENTS. The 1st result is really the only torrent hub you need.

For classic gaming the best is Underground Gamer however that is invite only and I have not had invites to give out in ages sorry.

Just a tip, you need not Google things like MAME TORRENT 147, once on a decent torrent hub/site you simply search from there and use normal search terms "MAME 147" etc. Torrent simply refers to the distribution system for files and is not really applicable in the search, that is like searching "MAME .ZIP ARCHIVE 147".

Once your Torrent client is installed (your fine with uTorrent I use it also) once on torrent sites clicking on torrents will now open the default client.

Anyway, good luck in using this method of obtaining files. OH and let me just add FYI I got into torrents as I was just too dumb to do Newsgroup / FTP etc, so I was not bragging, if I can figure out the torrent thing anyone can.

Thanks. This will have to be easier than what I did about 6 to 8 years ago (downloaded hundreds of files individually).

• Like 1

I started using the Internet near the end of 1999. I didn't start with Compuserve, then graduate through the levels over the years up to the normal, easy-to-use web sites we have today. I don't know how to use that old weird stuff. How do I know that alt.binaries.emualtors.mame (whatever that is) is any safer than anything else out there? How is alt.binaries.emualtors.mame not sketchy? You can't access it without special software and a secret Illuminati handshake. Sounds sketchy to me.

Then make it more than one zip file. Whatever works. It would still be better than clicking on each file separately.

It's rather mind-boggling that people are still using old, crusty, hard-to-use weird stuff instead of normal, easy-to-use web sites.

I don't know what a 25/5 connection is or what a NNTP GUI client is.

"It's rather mind-boggling that people are still using old, crusty, hard-to-use weird stuff instead of normal, easy-to-use web sites."

usenet/NNTP is not part of the World Wide Web. The internet is more than the web. 5 minutes of google would explain everything. Just because you do not know what something is no excuse for ignorance and intolerance.

Once again 5-10 minutes of google research and you could have figured everything out . There is no "secret handshake" as you snarkily put it. there are plenty of free NNTP client's. If you are too lazy to do research fine but at least be honest about that. Geeez you have nearly 22000 posts to this forum, how about taking 10 minutes away from posting here and do some research with google or yahoo or the search engine of your choice.

Edited by JL

usenet/NNTP is not part of the World Wide Web. The internet is more than the web. 5 minutes of google would explain everything. Just because you do not know what something is no excuse for ignorance and intolerance.

Sounds like you are intolerant of ignorance. There's no excuse for that. We must be tolerant of everything and everyone. Then we can all hold hands, have a huge joygasm together, and float up to the big bug zapper in the sky . . . oops . . . I mean Heaven.

Once again 5-10 minutes of google research and you could have figured everything out . There is no "secret handshake" as you snarkily put it. there are plenty of free NNTP client's. If you are too lazy to do research fine but at least be honest about that. Geeez you have nearly 22000 posts to this forum, how about taking 10 minutes away from posting here and do some research with google or yahoo or the search engine of your choice.

Nobody asked you to pop into this thread with your first snarky reply to me. My reply to you was partly the truth and partly a middle finger to your condescension. I could look up what I actually didn't know or what I couldn't remember, but I'd rather let you get even more puffed up and feed your delusions of superiority. It doesn't matter what you know or how special you think you are, humans have a short lifespan. You and your oversized brain will be worm food before long and nothing you have learned or have done will matter in the long run. Yes, you are mortal, just like the peons that live far below the castle in the clouds where you reside. You're nothing but a disgusting meat sack filled with feces and other foul things, so get over yourself already and join the rest of us down here on earth.

I use Google search many times every day. And I don't know what you are smoking, but a 5 to 10 minute Google search will not give you all of the answers on this subject. That crusty old newsgroup stuff costs money. I'm no longer semi-poor, starting near the end of 2011, but that means I have money for supplements and food and not much else most of the time. I'm not wasting money on this newsgroup stuff to make some condescending, snarky stranger happy.

Take your mutated Cliff Clavin act somewhere else. It's not impressing anyone in this thread.

P.S. I'm not angry. I'm having fun with words. Any Rodney King wannabes who are reading this can put down your "why can't we all get along" signs. (Yes, I know those aren't his exact words. And yes, I know we

.) :D