IGNORED

D.K. VCS

Joe Musashi

Sloped girders is a much needed as it is part of the game design. :)

I agree that looks worse because the single color, anyway it's only on first screen, you can use multi colored girders on others stages. I don't recomend to flicker the PF, I tryed and looks realy bad.

For better looking, the horizontal girders on first screen need to be single colored too.

It's my suggestion, if you don't mind :

post-10940-0-37673500-1358603114_thumb.gif

Edited by LS_Dracon
  • Like 5

Nothing illegal about the DK Pie Factory game ROM. Nintendo programmed it for release on virtual console.

Ripping the ROM out of the Wii game and passing it around the Internet is, though, and people have done that. That's what I meant by "out there".

Edited by raindog

The atari 8-bit version uses fractional positioning too:

00A0 = 0001	 ptxl	ds	 1			 ; fractional jumpman X position
00A1 = 0001	 ptxh	ds	 1			 ; integer jumpman X position
00A2 = 0001	 ptyl	ds	 1			 ; fractional jumpman Y position
00A3 = 0001	 ptyh	ds	 1			 ; integer jumpman Y position

See http://www.atariage....y kong source for the source.

Thanks for digging that out! It should be particularly helpful for designing the enemy AI.

I checked with MAME and it seems that the horizontal jump speed of the original is one pixel every two frames (or 0.5 pixel/frame on average). That's easy to implement. Unfortunately, the arcade version has square pixels, and this then translates to one pixel every four frames for rectangular pixels on the VCS. I tried that and it results in the correct jump distance, but it looks horrible. Like Mario is shivering when jumping.

Before I do that I will first see if I can cheat and instead of decreasing the horizontal speed try making the vertical movement faster or less high. Just so that Mario cannot jump over the elevator gaps.

Sloped girders is a much needed as it is part of the game design. :)

I agree that looks worse because the single color, anyway it's only on first screen, you can use multi colored girders on others stages. I don't recomend to flicker the PF, I tryed and looks realy bad.

For better looking, the horizontal girders on first screen need to be single colored too.

It's my suggestion, if you don't mind :

post-10940-0-37673500-1358603114_thumb.gif

Very nice! It's a bit too optimistic for my kernel, though. The best I could probably do would be:

post-27536-0-00196900-1358806771_thumb.pngpost-27536-0-14485000-1358806785_thumb.png

That came out better than I thought. I might try it at some point to see how it looks. But it's very inconsistent with the style of the other levels. Compared to the other levels, for me it feels sort of like going from the Centipede title screen to the game screen :)

• Like 5

Very nice! It's a bit too optimistic for my kernel, though. The best I could probably do would be:

post-27536-0-00196900-1358806771_thumb.pngpost-27536-0-14485000-1358806785_thumb.png

That came out better than I thought. I might try it at some point to see how it looks. But it's very inconsistent with the style of the other levels. Compared to the other levels, for me it feels sort of like going from the Centipede title screen to the game screen :)

Looks good enough!

Perhaps make all levels with single colored girders. You always loose things when design a game for atari 2600. The sprites, new levels, title and intermission screens will worth the remake. :)

The sloped girders look sweet! If you got rom space you might consider writing some individual kernels to switch the PF color mid line and get the ladder all white. If not, perhaps you could improvise by making those ladders "broken" by missing a few rungs. I don't remember off hand what ladders were broken in the arcade version, as I just grew up with the Colecovision version of DK.

Great progress here! :)

Jeff

The sloped girders look sweet! If you got rom space you might consider writing some individual kernels to switch the PF color mid line and get the ladder all white. If not, perhaps you could improvise by making those ladders "broken" by missing a few rungs. I don't remember off hand what ladders were broken in the arcade version, as I just grew up with the Colecovision version of DK.

Great progress here! :)

Jeff

It might be my shoddy memory, but I remember the "broken" latter positions changing from game to game.

Also, when the barrels are coded in, this really will take off. that was the most fun part about the first level... well, that and the hammer!

OK, OK I had to do this...

Those box screenshots were definitely false advertising, unless you Photo Shopped/ GIMPed them. I always thought the girders in Coleco VCS DK looked like roach poop. Why couldn't they have been red like in the Arcade? And maybe they could have made the graphics a little better and possibly added an extra stage had they not totally cheaped out and insisted on placing it on a 2k ROM.If the final game turns out half as good as Pacman 4k, I will be a happy camper. Of course, until that day comes, I can always pop in my "DK Pie Foundry" RetroUSB cart into the NES for a more arcade-like gameplay experience. :P

• 2 weeks later...

I think DK looks more like poo (or a weird brown smiling frog, whichever one you see first) in the original Coleco Intellivision port of Donkey Kong. Thankfully though, like this cool VCS homebrew, someone decided to not let retro gamers play that junky INTV port and made DK and D2K Arcade.

Edited by BalloonFighter

To celebrate over one hundred downloads of the last version, here comes another update.

The game is still very easy, but this time you have to work if you want to see the ending sequence. :twisted:

Changes include:

• Small fixes in the Mario and Kong animations.
  • Non-flickering dots in the game over screen.
  • No more flickering dots in the ending sequence (another crazy RES banging kernel that can display 28 dots per row).
  • Moving conveyor belts in the 50 m stage. Speeds are fixed for now.
  • The 100 m stage now features removable rivets.
  • A new 75 m stage.

The new stage is experimental and has been designed to work within the limits of the current engine. Obviously there is no support for moving elevators, but there are also no platforms in the middle of corridors, no ladders of varying size, and no support for more than four gaps per floor. Also the stage should be one floor higher. I will definitely implement the elevators, the rest will depend on the available resources.

post-27536-0-21248200-1360016842_thumb.pngpost-27536-0-64098600-1360016851_thumb.pngpost-27536-0-42702200-1360016862_thumb.png

Enjoy!

D.K.VCS_130204.bin

• Like 10

This is the most amazing thing I have ever seen on a VCS. Dude, I am going to open a church to you. All may come and hurl their Coleco DK's into the pit of fire. We shall all dance as when we were young when our parents took us to KB toys or Children's Palace. And all shall say "Huzzah! The Kong is 'just like the real arcade game'! Suck it, oh snotty rich kid down the street with a ColecoVision!"

This is fantastic- seriously. How cool.

• Like 1