IGNORED

The time has come for Atari 2600 Dragon's Lair!

Godzilla

I'm not sure you could animate at those resolutions, but it could be the basis for a "choose-your-own-adventure" kind of title.  A static shot like the one you show, with only one direction on the joystick (or a button press) being the correct response and the others leading to a death screen.  This wouldn't be much more difficult to display than a slideshow using the same techinque, just a matter of having the joystick input decide what image to show.

Isn't that pretty much what Dragon's Lair was? It wasn't a videogame in the typical sense of the word. The game used a Laserdisc player then ran random sequences of animation based on which controls you pressed and in which order.

I'd love to see Cliff Hanger ported to the 2600 if someone's going to attempt a laserdisc VG port. :ponder:

I'm not sure you could animate at those resolutions, but it could be the basis for a "choose-your-own-adventure" kind of title.  A static shot like the one you show, with only one direction on the joystick (or a button press) being the correct response and the others leading to a death screen.  This wouldn't be much more difficult to display than a slideshow using the same techinque, just a matter of having the joystick input decide what image to show.

Isn't that pretty much what Dragon's Lair was? It wasn't a videogame in the typical sense of the word. The game used a Laserdisc player then ran random sequences of animation based on which controls you pressed and in which order.

Actually, Dragon's Lair wasn't even much of a "choose-your-own-adventure" type of game, since the game followed mostly a linear path that never deviated and the only thing you picked was whether Dirk would survive or not. Even with the falling disk sequence where you could have Dirk get off at any of the three (and in a reversed sequence, nine) platforms, there were no alternate paths to take.

As far as doing a 2600 version of Dragon's Lair, the best that I could even suggest is just doing an action-based game along the lines of Jungle Hunt or something.

• 1 month later...
I need to digout the engineering log, but Atari was looking into interfacing the Atari 2600 with a laserdisc player... no I'm serious, here is what they had planned:

Atari 2600 with a cartridge with control code sequences for a particular laserdisc game, for example Dragon's liar.

On the 2nd joystick port was an interface box with an IR output that would be compatible with say a Pioneer PR-8210 laserdisc player.

The 2600 would simply act as a remote control to the laserdisc player, commanding the sequences of the game and allowing the gameplayer to play games like Dragon's Lair, Space Ace, Firefox and so forth, all you would do is install a different cartridge with the IR control sequence for that particular laserdisc game.

When I find the logs and engineering notes I'll post them.

Curt

:(

Allan

Thats really cool, I never knew Atari was actually going to use the 2600 as a Laser Disc controller.

But I honestly feel that using adavie's bitmapper jobbie, and maybe at least supercharger ram (or a cary w/ ram on it, and a modern rom size (like 512 megabits,) that 2600 dragons lair could be done. Heck if the lameboy can do it, i believe the 2600 can.

hey it's my 1000th post... my geek grows stronger...

• 1 year later...
So, who is going to use a supercharger w/ a cd connected & the new hi-res techniques to make 2600 dragon's lair? :-)  cmon! We can play it on our borg-2600s while we compute every 2k rom!!!

These fools: http://atarivcs.free.fr/ebivision/projects-vcos.htm They are working on what they call the VCOS which is an operating system for the 2600 running off of a supercharger plugged into a CD player unit which is connected to the 2600.

These guys are some of the best 2600 programmers I've seen in a while with the exception of what comes out of XYPE. Very immaginitave too.

Stupid question, but.....

Could a 2600 EASILY (that being the key word) be upgraded to handle more memory.

Uhh... do "SuperCharger" or "Cuttle Cart" ring a bell?

*cough* 7800 *cough*

heheheeee

so still no one has made 2600 Dragon's Lair using interleaved chrono yaddayadda... I am surprised.

and re: adam dragon's lair, It's much MUCH better than the c=64 version and has a lot more to it. I actually feel that Adam Dragon's Lair is the best Dragon's Lair out there, I prefer it to the arcade game by a wide margin as it is a real game and not simon says.

And have Ebi posted anything aside from their little sketches?? Anyone heard from them?

Stupid question, but.....

Could a 2600 EASILY (that being the key word) be upgraded to handle more memory.

Uhh... do "SuperCharger" or "Cuttle Cart" ring a bell?

*cough* 7800 *cough*

At what point did you lose the capacity to diffentiate between "7800" and "2600"?

He means 2600 + memory upgrade = 7800. As it's been done already, and better.

I always assumed that the 7800 was its own system which happens to have a 2600 piggybacked onto it, not much different from adding a 2600 expansion module to the colecovision. You're using the 7800 to play 2600 games, but the two systems are totally distinct. Is that an accurate, if clumsy, analysis?

The time has come for Zylon to school the feebs on what a 7800 is.

Now, how about that 2600 Dragon's Lair, Adavie? :-)

It's very possible, of course. If you'd care to commission me to write one for you, I'd be happy to put it ahead of the queue of things I mean to do. Otherwise it will have to wait in the line behind all the nifty projects I plan to do someday. Top of the line at the moment is a Java interface for the Krokodile cart.

Cheers

A

/me listens to 'all about the benjamins' :-) Seriously, though, I would think it wouldn't be TOO hard for someone who knows something about 2600 coding to use the chronocolor thingie to make DL ? (not neccessarily Adavie himself, who is doing important things like making cool interfaces for the krok cart that I'm going to buy :-) )

• 9 months later...
Sorry to bump up an old thread, but with all that's been done in the world of programming for the 2600, how feasable would a viewable demo be for this game?

899341[/snapback]

Although the 2600 can generate a somewhat viewable screen using playfield graphics and dithering, for the game to look decent would require a big storage device with lots of bandwidth. Suppose the target speed is 12fps of two-way interleaved chrono-color. That would be 1920 bytes/frame or 23,040 bytes/second. Doesn't sound too bad except that most of the time would be spent displaying stuff, leaving only about 25% available to fetch data. So the data rate during that time would have to be about 92,160 bytes/second. If audio is desired, that would be another 7,875 bytes/sec. If the CC2 provides hardware assistance for reading the MMC, a 100kbyte/sec data rate might be doable, but the 6502 couldn't do it on its own. Does anyone know how the CC2's MMC interface actually works?

Note that I'm assuming no compression. Compression would reduce the storage requirement, but the only type of 'compression' I can see the poor 6507 as being able to support would be dirty-rectangle storage (basically only redraw the portion of the screen which changes on two consecutive frames). Although one may as well take advantage of largely-static screens when one can, the system would have to be designed around the worst case.

If I were trying to design a Dragon's Lair cart, I would probably include a SmartMedia interface since that's designed as an 8-bit parallel interface. The data would have to be stored as a linked list to map around bad blocks, but that shouldn't be too much of a problem. The link pointers should be stored 3x to ensure reliable reading; any other data should be able to tolerate single-bit errors without a problem.